Menu

Does 'refurbished' have a negative connotation?

extendedforecast

Does 'refurbished' have a negative connotation?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Does 'refurbished' have a negative connotation in a home listing? For example, this home has been fully refurbished.

• yes
    • no
    • it depends - please comment
    • other - please comment

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I have seen Remodeled but not Refurbished on listings. I don’t have a negative connotation to the word remodeled. I would be wondering about refurbished and ask for clarification when I tour the house. I would be thinking what was defective that needs to be refurbished.

Doesn't remodeled imply that walls have been added or removed? 

Refurbished is not negative to me, but I agree I have not heard that for a house. I would think it had been cleaned and painted, but not so much modernized. 

I would be leery of a home that had been flooded; I would be concerned about hidden issues arising. 

• Like 2

Refurbished to me, means it was defective and needed fixing. Refurbished would never mean just updated with new colors/materials (like a new kitchen counter top). For example: refurbished wouldn't just be new carpet, it would mean there was a water leak and sub floor was replaced along with the carpet. 

VS....remodeled/updated which can both mean the same thing, but can also just mean new counter tops and carpet.  Not that anything was wrong in the first place, but maybe just updated to look newer. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, extendedforecast said:

Doesn't remodeled imply that walls have been added or removed? 

no

14 hours ago, extendedforecast said:

This home was flooded, has been rehabbed and is being put back on the market. This information is also mentioned in the description. Does that make a difference?

this would scare me as I would be concerned there are hidden issues.  it's not just the sheet rock and carpet having to be ripped out,  and not all wood is exposed where it can be treated, even if allowed to dry out before closing up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, extendedforecast said:

This home was flooded, has been rehabbed and is being put back on the market. This information is also mentioned in the description. Does that make a difference?

I would want more information on the flooding. If it was from the outside (like from rain overflowing a river) I would likely pass. Unless the home was stripped to the framing, I would be concerned about hidden mold issues. If it was from something smaller, like a water line on the fridge leaking and ruining the flooring, I would want to get a quality inspection.  I would ask for the inspector to look for issues directly related to that issue.  This can still cause mold if the water is left for a week or two (ie the home owner is on vacation) or even less in a warm and damp climate. 

• Like 1