Menu

Would you go to universal horror nights?

lynn

We went to a Six Flags thing that looks similar.  It was a lot of fun for all ages.  The youngest got a No Boo stick, which was a white light up pendant they sold in the park so the zombies and the chupacabras and whatnot stayed away.  We brought a friend for the oldest so they could do the haunted houses together while the rest of us enjoyed the more tame attractions.  If there wasn't an opt out like the No Boo stick I'm not sure I would go, lol.  I'm a wimp.

We go to Howl O'Scream at Busch Gardens every year. I am not a huge haunted house type of person mostly because I can't handle strobe effects. It messes with my balance too much (I have a vestibular imbalance due to inner ear damage). But, I have gone into some and just shut my eyes during those parts, trusting dh and dd to guide me. Some I just skip all together and wait outside sipping hot cocoa or iced tea depending on the temp. I actually like the atmosphere of the park itself...pumpkins and bats and lanterns etc. 

Nope. No interest in it at all. I don't go because that just isn't my thing, but I wouldn't find it scary if I went. Just annoying.

Ds 21 OTOH, has been going since he was 13. He would have gone even younger but I wouldn't let him. The year he turned 13 (his birthday is just a few weeks before HHN begins) he managed to talk his dad and me into letting him go with friends whose parents go every year and they were people we knew well and trusted. There were two years I took him and his friends but didn't go myself. Since it's a 45-50 min. drive I wouldn't go home and then drive back. The first time I took them I just hung out at City Walk with my Kindle. The second time I took them Universal kept Harry Potter World open for a few hours and those of us without a HHN wrist band were allowed to go between the two HP parks until the park itself closed to all but HHN guests. When that closed I again hung out at City Walk with my phone, a charger, and my Kindle.

I was so happy when I finally felt he was mature enough to drive to Orlando and to drive home in the wee hours. Sometimes he and his friends will get a room nearby and just stay the night. I think that's what they're doing this year too.

Edited by Lady Florida.

Nope. My son was a scareactor there last year and completely absolved me of any guilt I might feel for skipping one of his performances, because he was so sure I would hate it.

I'm more or less immune to gore -- I don't find it frightening, but also don't find it amusing or fun. However, I am easily startled. 

Between the crowds, the emphasis on jump scares and the fact that much of the sport for many attendees is based on how drunk they can get while there -- not to mention the fact that I am utterly unfamiliar with/uninterested in the franchises on which the assorted houses are based -- definitely not my thing. 

14 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

Is this for the 8 year old? I thought they had a lot of warnings about it not being appropriate for children. But maybe I'm confusing it with Mardi Gras Nights? You know your kid best, but I'd probably double check to see what audience it's targeted towards.

This, definitely this.

From Universal's website:

WARNING: Event may be too intense for young children and is not recommended for children under the age of 13. No costumes or masks allowed.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/events/halloween-horror-nights/index.html