Menu

Do parents at your local library clean up after their kids?

Sneezyone

I’m not sure if I’m being an old fart or not but I brought my two, young charges to the library today and a woman was here with three children, only one of whom was under the age of 2, and left a giant mess of toys on the tables and floor. She proceeded to checkout her books and left, having seen me begin straightening the place up. Library staff aren’t maids...are they? Is this the norm?

Edited by Sneezyone

I always made my kids do so.

There are some places, though, where they actually ask you not to put things away.  Like they don't like people to re-shelve books at our library, I guess because people put them in the wrong places and they are too hard to find then.   So maybe some people think "do not re-shelve" includes the toys?  Maybe it does in fact include the toys??

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

One mom is not a trend. I have seen lots of parents clean up after their children at the library 

I didn’t say it was a trend. I was asking whether it was common. I’ve been to this library several times now and, while there maybe a few things out, it looked nothing like it did today. Perhaps there are libraries where it’s not expected that toys be returned to their homes.

7 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

Yes.  It does seem to be cultural, but the librarian will remind patrons that part of the agreement in using the library and keeping costs down is that patrons clean up after themselves.  Trash goes in the bin, toys/puppets/games/puzzles go back on the shelf where they were taken from,  and books go on a reshelving cart.  When I was leading a summer reading group, the families were mostly of the type who taught that guests live a place in better condition than when they arrived. Never had a child refuse to clean up and none needed reminding. Cleanup is part of the routine in all the preschool and daycares in the area.

I think that’s what I was waiting to see but the librarian said nothing to her (and had been working with her to find the books she checked out) so then I got to thinking this could be quite common and I’m just a nut. I don’t regularly go to or use libraries (germs). It’s been 8 years.

At the handful of libraries I’ve been to in my area parents do tend to make sure their kids have picked up any toys or puzzles they played with.  Books are usually left on tables or a certain rack to be reshelved by volunteers.

The two libraries I visit the most don’t have so many toys that kids can make a huge mess though. 

• Like 2

When I worked at a library, I’d say it was about 50/50 for cleaning up after their kids. Though I’d say we had a bigger problem with teens and adults not cleaning up after themselves—leaving paper, cups/bottles, garbage, food/crumbs on the tables and computer areas—-much worse than the kid’s area.

• Sad 2

Another thought - there was one library we went to where all the toys were out when we got there.  Since they were always "out," what would "put them away" mean in that situation ... I don't usually put away things that were already out, because maybe the library leaves them out to encourage their use.

• Like 3

I've seen a mix. I think they ideally should... but I also don't think it's the worst thing ever to leave a bit of a mess. At least at our libraries, the toys are pretty limited. I also have to admit that I find someone leaving puzzle pieces and some crayons scattered not as obnoxious as a librarian keen to scold a parent who hasn't even had a chance to get their kid to clean up yet, and that's something I've seen a lot. Like, geez, she's got three under 5 with her. The kid literally just tossed a couple of crayons two seconds ago. Give her a minute before ripping into her or the kid.

You should never put books back on the shelves though. But it's nice to put them on a clean up cart.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I've seen a mix. I think they ideally should... but I also don't think it's the worst thing ever to leave a bit of a mess. At least at our libraries, the toys are pretty limited. I also have to admit that I find someone leaving puzzle pieces and some crayons scattered not as obnoxious as a librarian keen to scold a parent who hasn't even had a chance to get their kid to clean up yet, and that's something I've seen a lot. Like, geez, she's got three under 5 with her. The kid literally just tossed a couple of crayons two seconds ago. Give her a minute before ripping into her or the kid.

You should never put books back on the shelves though. But it's nice to put them on a clean up cart.

Agree with you. I love how our library handles it. There is even a sign posted at each end of the play area, “If you would like to tidy the toys, please stop at the desk and choose a sticker as a thank you.” I think the sign serves two purposes as it’s a gentle reminder to have kids clean up after themselves if possible. It stays pretty neat most of the time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barb_ said:

Agree with you. I love how our library handles it. There is even a sign posted at each end of the play area, “If you would like to tidy the toys, please stop at the desk and choose a sticker as a thank you.” I think the sign serves two purposes as it’s a gentle reminder to have kids clean up after themselves if possible. It stays pretty neat most of the time. 

Positive incentives always win over "Hey, don't just leave that!" <snarl>.

• Like 2