Menu

Should I get Chinese take-out tonight? (Frivolous poll of the day.)

Ginevra

Chinese take-out since DH is away?   

42 members have voted

1. 1. Get Chinese take-out tonight?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Ambivalent answer.

DH is on his way to Oshkosh, WI, to show off his magnificent homebuilt airplane, so I am debating getting Chinese take-out, which he generally does not love and only grudgingly agrees to when home. Initially, though, I was going to frugally use up my glut of eggs in a quiche - another dinner I don’t often make much when he is home because it is low on his preference. (And DS18 does not like it much, either.) But - eh. I want the night off from cooking and Chinese sounds good to me. So, yes or no? ?

Also, is there a Chinese (American-style Chinese) dish you always get? I might go out on a limb and order something I usually don’t. 

I like fried rice with chicken or shrimp and no peas and carrots. I also like that brown sauce with cashew chicken. Dh likes sweet and sour breaded chicken but we only have one place that does it right and we have to pick up not deliver if we order from there. 

We all like fried dumplings and crab rangoon (dd can't have the cr because of dairy). I like spring rolls over egg rolls because they are lighter and crunchier. 

Gosh, Chinese sounds wonderful! lol We are having pizza because dd isn't here and we can eat cheese. ? 

• Like 1

I can't eat Chinese take-out (because of gluten), so you need to eat my share.

I would like General Tso's chicken, fried rice, sweet and sour chicken, sweet and sour pork, white rice, and some of those lovely doughnuts that I've seen on the buffets.

Basically, all of it.  ?

• Thanks 1

Oh, here’s what’s funny: i just texted DS18 and asked him what he would like and he said, “maybe something we haven’t tried before.” GMTA! 

I think I’m gonna try crab rangoons, general tso’s chicken and maybe mugoo gai pan. Never have had any of those things. Maybe also an old standby so picky people can be picky if they aren’t feeling adventuresome. *coughDS13cough* 

• Like 1

TGIF ?  take a break from cooking.

My kids favorite at Panda Express is orange chicken. For Trader Joe’s, DS13 like the King Pao Chicken. 

We also like the lotus wrapped glutinous rice which looks like this link https://dimsumguide.com/site/view/Sticky-Rice-Wrapped-in-Lotus-Leaves

I like the steamed pork buns which is available at take out in 99Ranch supermarket.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Selkie said:

My favorite Chinese food is General Tso's tofu. I have to make it at home, though, because there are no good Chinese restaurants near us.

Is it easy to make?

That's my fave Chinese dish too. (I'm vegetarian.) Luckily, one of the local Chinese restaurants here makes a great version.

A different local place has vegetarian egg rolls, which I love because egg rolls almost always have meat in them. It's a treat to get those once in awhile.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

So, what'ja get, and how was it? 

Enquiring minds want to know...hahha

I got:

crab rangoons

pan-fried dumplings (and now I can only think of the Pixar short)

moogoo gai pan

shrimp with snow peas

wonton soup

vegetable fried rice

I had never gotten rangoons, moogoo gai or shrimp with snow peas before. Everything was good, though one son did not like the rangoons and dd was sad I didn’t get lo mein, which she apparently mentioned but I didn’t get. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stacia said:

Is it easy to make?

That's my fave Chinese dish too. (I'm vegetarian.) Luckily, one of the local Chinese restaurants here makes a great version.

A different local place has vegetarian egg rolls, which I love because egg rolls almost always have meat in them. It's a treat to get those once in awhile.

This is the recipe I use:

https://minimalistbaker.com/general-tsos-tofu/

It is a little bit time-consuming to make, but is so good!

• Like 2