Menu

school supplies

I want pens. Normal pens that feel good. I don't know how to describe it, but sometimes they just feel "good" when you write, soft maybe? I tried pentel pens. I am not too crazy about inky pens as I call them. Any recommendations?

I also want good binder dividers with pockets. On this one I see too many choices on Amazon and can't make up my mind. 

Anybody else wants to tell me what sort of school supplies I should have but I don't? I just discovered paper hole enhancers existed. ? 

I don't know how old your kids are. ?

DH likes a gel pen.  Youngest DS and I prefer a cheap fountain pen and a bottle of ink. 
All of us love the blank Sparknotes study cards. They're about the size of a business card with enough in a box to cover an entire class's worth of information.  They have printed ones for various subjects, but we've been using the blank ones for forever, color coding the tops for chapter by chapter study.

• Like 1

My all-time favorite pen is a Sharpie pen. Not a Sharpie marker -- the pens. And I am a pen snob. I used to love the G2 gel pens but Sharpies have taken their place.

Not really a school supply, but for organization I love Ikea Fluns magazine holders. They are great for storing all kinds of things on our bookshelves. They're cardboard but I used my first set for 5 years and just replaced them this year. I use scrapbook paper to cover the long end to make them look more peppy on the shelf. ?

• Like 1

DS is going to Japan and I’m sending him with an empty suitcase? ?

i love the zebra pens and Costco one time had a 12 pack or something. Amazon also has them. But do find a Japanese store and check their stuff in person ? I’m sure there’s a Muji or whatever near you. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

DS is going to Japan and I’m sending him with an empty suitcase? ?

i love the zebra pens and Costco one time had a 12 pack or something. Amazon also has them. But do find a Japanese store and check their stuff in person ? I’m sure there’s a Muji or whatever near you. 

Do tell! I just located Muji’s in about 1.5 hours drive from me, buuuut, we are heading that way anyway. Zebra pens are on my list now. Anything else that shouldn’t be missed? 

And yes to Ikea holders. There are the ones holding all my paperbacks in place between them!

These are the ones I like but in blue. https://www.amazon.com/Zebra-Ballpoint-Retractable-Refillable-Stainless/dp/B00NHV6VH0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531695572&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=zebra+pens&dpPl=1&dpID=51BE56nfNXL&ref=plSrch

at Muji (actually now I go to the bigger Japanese bookstore in NYC but Muji has them) like the thinner lined notebooks (I get these for every subject) bc the marble ones are so clumsy, never get filled,  and the spiral ones fall apart. 

• Like 2

Do you have a Staples, an art store, or even a college bookstore? They usually have a good selection of pens you can try.

I feel like this is such an individual thing, I like a certain style for daily writing but a different style for addressing envelopes. My favorite pen changed slightly recently and I still like it but don’t love it. My husband’s favorite pens are no longer available in the US, so he had a Canadian coworker stock up and bring them to the US for him! They aren’t even super fancy but he is very particular. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

Do you have a Staples, an art store, or even a college bookstore? They usually have a good selection of pens you can try.

We have Staples. It never occurred to me to go in, ever. ? I feel silly. For some reason every purchase I personally made of a pen was over Amazon. Usually DH brings a bunch of them from somewhere. 

I agree that it is individual. DH thinks I am nuts when I talk about “feel good” pens. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madteaparty said:

DS13 use those in black for his AP exams this year.  He says they write well. I bought the pens a few days before the exam from Target. He usually uses pencils so we don’t need to buy pens in bulk. 

• Like 1

Walmart has their back to school supplies online. Might be easier to find things that way. My dd has this thing for the really nice papermate binder pockets. They're thick and sturdy, with tabs to hold the papers in at the top. And yes, they'll have nice pens. They have pencils with 1.3mm leads so they don't break. They have scented crayola markers. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 4:27 PM, ksr5377 said:

Have you tried the Uni-ball Signo pens? I always loved the G2 pens but my sister has these and I fell in love.  They were just nicer to hold and I love the way they write.

Michael's has these available one pen at a time where you can try them out and only buy the colors you like

I like Inkjoy pens.

And a particular 4-color pen https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018RJK0K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And Papermate Flair

Signo are good enough for most stuff

• Like 1

DS19 is our most particular about pens and these are the ones he loves:

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Precise-Retractable-Rolling-Point/dp/B0182HSFF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533132473&sr=8-1&keywords=pen+v7

I also liked the G2 but he scorns them.  ?  They (the G2s) do sometimes run out of ink particularly fast.

I have this plastic file folder holder that has a tray in the top for paper clips, mini stapler, etc.  I have *really* enjoyed it more than I should, lol.  And, in particular, I found half depth file folders that fit in it that are PERFECT for flashcards (think math facts or phonics words, etc) that I adore having easy access to on a daily basis.  It serves as a reminder of things I need to do with each child.  I do Barton with some of my kiddos and I like putting their current lesson in file folders (labeled with their name) so I don't need to grab the HUGE binders every single day.

• Like 1

The Bic Orange hex barrel pens are my most favorite pen ever. I prefer a very fine point and these deliver. I usually order red, black, and blue ink from sellers on EBay and have them shipped from South Korea. They aren't available for sale in the US for some strange reason. Plus, I can always tell who has nicked one of my pens ?  https://www.amazon.com/Orange-0-8mm-0-2mm-Black-1199110114/dp/B000071LUI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533138538&sr=8-4&keywords=bic+orange+barrel+pen

Susie

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PandaMom said:

The Bic Orange hex barrel pens are my most favorite pen ever. I prefer a very fine point and these deliver. I usually order red, black, and blue ink from sellers on EBay and have them shipped from South Korea. They aren't available for sale in the US for some strange reason. Plus, I can always tell who has nicked one of my pens ?  https://www.amazon.com/Orange-0-8mm-0-2mm-Black-1199110114/dp/B000071LUI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533138538&sr=8-4&keywords=bic+orange+barrel+pen

Susie

They used to sell these in the US, right?