1. 1. when you lend out curiculum how long until you ask for it back

• 1 week
    • 1 month
    • 2-3 months
    • 6 months
    • 1 year
    • I don't lend it out a book lent is a book lost
    • look a flying pig

Curriculum and books are two different things. 

Curriculum is loaned for the duration of the schooling year, and then I asked for it to be returned before Christmas … especially if I was wanting to use if for one of my children in the new schooling year.  (Any curriculum I'm finished with for my children usually gets gifted on, apart from FIAR, and, SOTW volumes :smile:)

Books are loaned for a term.

On your poll, I gifted both with the 'ask for it back' as a month after for both.

If it was something cheap and I didn't need it anymore, then I probably wouldn't bother to ask for it back if they weren't remembering.  If it was a curriculum that either I was planning to use again eventually or that wasn't cheap, then I'd wait a year before I bugged them about it.

I said a year, but I pretty much mean Look at the flying pig. I very, very rarely lend curriculum or materials. I will give things away without batting an eye IF I am finished with them, but that means the only things I lend are things I actually do expect returned. So, I have only lent materials maybe three times. I need to be very confident that this person does not misunderstand what borrow means, and I need to believe they are reliable in general. I think, in general, lending things (any kind of thing) introduces stress into a friendship. 

But, a year, because presumably, they will need it for the year. 

• Like 2

I rarely lend out curriculum. I have a lot of money invested in it and will use it for my other kids. When I do lend it out, it is to close friends who I know will take very good care of it. I have never had to ask for my lent out curriculum to be returned. Years ago I decided to not let anyone borrow anything unless I was willing to give it to them. That way if something was damaged or lost, it wouldn’t affect our friendship.

• Like 1

I've loaned people things for them to try out before - in those cases, it's been a quickie. I expected it back within a month maybe. But I've also loaned people things knowing they'd use it for the school year. I think the only important thing is that expectations are clear. Or that you don't care. That's okay too.

Early on in our homeschool life I learned my lesson about loaning things I care about. Awkward situation.

Now I don’t follow up on things I lend out because I only lend things I’m prepared to never see again but for whatever reason am not quite ready to get rid of entirely. Both times I lent whole curriculums they came back at the end of the year. One of the gals I loaned to insisted on making a detailed list of every book I had loaned her so I knew those were coming back. The other person apparently lost one of our books and bought a replacement copy which was very nice, but unnecessary, and I wished she had said something to me. 

• Like 1

I set a time up front: you may look this over for two weeks and bring it to me at the field trip, you can use this for the year but I need it back for youngest. 

I had one person I lent back and forth with constantly for a year at a time, and just a few that I would lend for shorter periods, with everything clearly marked and an email trail so none of us forgot whose book was whose, lol. 

Most people, I told them they were very welcome to come to my house and spend an afternoon looking at various curriculum. I did teach some classes and tutor, so I had a pleasant-sounding excuse for not doing lengthy loans if they pushed for more, but usually spelling things out in detail at the get-go was enough. 

Tons of people wanted to borrow curriculum "just to look at it in person" but apparently only if I delivered it to them at an event and let them take it home. Oh well! 

thanks guys

someone I know pulled their child out at the beginning of the school year here ( Jan) he was just starting year 7 - which is beginning high school here. She borrowed a heap of books to look at not use.  I wrote a  list.  After 3 weeks I rang her to see how she was going . She said she enrolled her child in an online school and she would drop the books back. After 2 months I rang her and offered to pick them up if she could give me directions on how to get to her house. She said she would drop them off. After 3 months I arranged a homeschool meetup with all the local homeschoolers- she said she would bring the books - but she didn't come. it is now 6 months- I rang again and she said she would drop them off on Monday of this week. Well that was Yesterday. She didn't show up

I am now in the bind that I cannot think of a polite excuse to ring her to ask for my books ... I could be using some of  them right now for my Nephews who are staying here.

I never lend anything I can't afford to not get back.

In your situation, Melissa, you don't need "a polite excuse". You need your books. That's your reason. Call her. Tell her that you will go to her house. If she says she'll drop them off, tell her that you can't wait any longer, you'll pick them up. Repeat, repeat, repeat. You've used your manners, and now it's time to be firm.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

thanks guys

someone I know pulled their child out at the beginning of the school year here ( Jan) he was just starting year 7 - which is beginning high school here. She borrowed a heap of books to look at not use.  I wrote a  list.  After 3 weeks I rang her to see how she was going . She said she enrolled her child in an online school and she would drop the books back. After 2 months I rang her and offered to pick them up if she could give me directions on how to get to her house. She said she would drop them off. After 3 months I arranged a homeschool meetup with all the local homeschoolers- she said she would bring the books - but she didn't come. it is now 6 months- I rang again and she said she would drop them off on Monday of this week. Well that was Yesterday. She didn't show up

I am now in the bind that I cannot think of a polite excuse to ring her to ask for my books ... I could be using some of  them right now for my Nephews who are staying here.

3 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I never lend anything I can't afford to not get back.

In your situation, Melissa, you don't need "a polite excuse". You need your books. That's your reason. Call her. Tell her that you will go to her house. If she says she'll drop them off, tell her that you can't wait any longer, you'll pick them up. Repeat, repeat, repeat. You've used your manners, and now it's time to be firm.

What she said. If she doesn't have time for you, ask if she'd be more comfortable if you sent a policeman. Good grief!

• Like 1