Menu

I'm so upset -- dumb medical mistake

Night Elf

I had what two different doctors have diagnosed as a TIA (transient ischemic attack) on March 3rd. They did lots of tests and couldn't find anything to cause it. I have doubts it was a TIA because I couldn't see out of either eye, not just one side. I know my right side was weak and unable to move but we didn't try to see if my left was having a problem because we didn't know what was going on. I was leaning on my left side on the couch and had no reason to try to lift my left arm. So, what exactly was it? The neurologist ordered an ultrasound of my heart and a bubble test to see if I had a hole in my heart. She came back with "there's evidence of an intracardiac shunt but it's not an emergency or urgent." She also cleared me for a colonoscopy and said anesthesia wouldn't be a problem. She told me to follow up with a cardiologist.

So I did all that stupid prep for my colonoscopy today. They called me back and was looking at my medical history. When the nurse found out I had a TIA, she said that was a problem. She went and got the anesthesiologist who told me according to anesthesia guidelines, I cannot have anesthesia for 6 months following a neurological incident. So they can't do the colonoscopy today. Then my GI doctor came over to join the conversation and he didn't know about the guidelines. He only told me during our consultation to get a clearance from my neurologist which I did get. That wasn't enough.

So I did ALL THAT NASTY PREP for absolutely nothing. I was so upset I didn't even want to go out to eat afterwards and I was really looking forward to having lunch with my DH. In the car I couldn't stop crying. The anesthesiologist and nurse today told me I was scheduled to have another procedure that no one told me about. When I got home, I looked it up and found out it was the one I had done recently, the ultrasound and bubble test of my heart. So now I have to see the cardiologist to see if anything else should be done. And even if he says no, I'm fine and nothing is wrong, I still can't have the colonoscopy until September. At least I have time to motivate myself to go through all that again. It was a miserable experience and all for nothing.

• Sad 11

it's frustrating - but each specialty has their own rules of what they consider safe for their patients for whom they have liability.  

My mom had many, many tias.  as did my grandmother and a number of my grandmother's sisters.  symptoms could be very different each time. weakness on one side was not a given. (during them my mother's speech was often garbled. - but she could move both arms just fine.  she also didn't realize something was happening).  there is a genetic link, and  they are my biggest medical fear.   what is affected depends where the bleed is.

the hardest thing about a tia - they often don't cause enough damage to show up in the follow-up tests.  until there has been a lot of damage. - the damage with tias is cumulative.   so - early on, it is typical to assume it is a tia if the symptoms match, and they can't find another cause.  

though several years after my mother died - i learned some of them might actually have been thyroid related. (she also had a 65% blockage in her carotid artery)  that also doesn't show up on any of the typical tests.  (and only on thorough thyroid tests.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Night Elf said:

I had what two different doctors have diagnosed as a TIA (transient ischemic attack) on March 3rd. They did lots of tests and couldn't find anything to cause it. I have doubts it was a TIA because I couldn't see out of either eye, not just one side. I know my right side was weak and unable to move but we didn't try to see if my left was having a problem because we didn't know what was going on. I was leaning on my left side on the couch and had no reason to try to lift my left arm. So, what exactly was it? The neurologist ordered an ultrasound of my heart and a bubble test to see if I had a hole in my heart. She came back with "there's evidence of an intracardiac shunt but it's not an emergency or urgent." She also cleared me for a colonoscopy and said anesthesia wouldn't be a problem. She told me to follow up with a cardiologist.

So I did all that stupid prep for my colonoscopy today. They called me back and was looking at my medical history. When the nurse found out I had a TIA, she said that was a problem. She went and got the anesthesiologist who told me according to anesthesia guidelines, I cannot have anesthesia for 6 months following a neurological incident. So they can't do the colonoscopy today. Then my GI doctor came over to join the conversation and he didn't know about the guidelines. He only told me during our consultation to get a clearance from my neurologist which I did get. That wasn't enough.

So I did ALL THAT NASTY PREP for absolutely nothing. I was so upset I didn't even want to go out to eat afterwards and I was really looking forward to having lunch with my DH. In the car I couldn't stop crying. The anesthesiologist and nurse today told me I was scheduled to have another procedure that no one told me about. When I got home, I looked it up and found out it was the one I had done recently, the ultrasound and bubble test of my heart. So now I have to see the cardiologist to see if anything else should be done. And even if he says no, I'm fine and nothing is wrong, I still can't have the colonoscopy until September. At least I have time to motivate myself to go through all that again. It was a miserable experience and all for nothing.

I understand why you’re upset — nobody wants to do a colonoscopy prep for nothing (Kassia recently went through a prep that didn’t work properly and couldn’t have the colonoscopy, and that was awful!) but in your situation, please be thankful that the nurse and the anesthesiologist paid attention to your medical history and didn’t put your health at risk for a test didn’t absolutely need to be done right now. 

Obviously, I wish someone would have figured it all out before you did the prep, but it was only one night of your life, and if they thought the risks of the anesthesia outweighed the benefit of having the colonoscopy, I think that’s the most important thing to focus on.

• Like 4

I'm sorry, and I understand. When I couldn't keep the prep down the night before my colonoscopy I was very frustrated that all the work I had done up until then (5 days of restricted diet) would be for nothing. I hope that eventually all of the testing can be done and comes back fine, but I understand being frustrated in the mean time.

Yes I am glad they are watching my health but it's frustrating when the doctors don't know something that I think they should. Surely my GI doctor has had patients who have had neurological incidents at some point. I can't be the first he's ever encountered. The anesthesiologist told me doctors don't know anesthesia guidelines and this wouldn't have been predicted. I feel better now. I've eaten yummy food and walked on the treadmill. I'm still going to the bathroom though. I figured that should be done by now. My last glass of laxative was at 7:45am.

I've been up since 3:00 am when I woke up having to go to the bathroom. I couldn't get back to sleep and had 2 episodes before I had to start drinking the rest of the solution at 5:00am. So I'm tired. That was another reason I was so upset. Bad news is bad enough but being so tired and hearing bad news is just double trouble for me. I was so tired when I got there this morning my eyes were burning. The news just hit me hard.

Well that just stinks!  ?

What a bummer!!

It is so frustrating to get conflicting medical information. Medical stuff stresses me out, even when it is "easy".  I am waiting on a procedure that shouldn't be a big deal, but it is causing me all sorts of anxiety.  I'm so sorry you went through all of that for nothing!! And have to do it again in September.  That is the worst!!