Menu

Little girls and periods

teachermom2834

52 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Seriously, the girls knew when they were, like, three. Didn't you all have open bathrooms during toddlerhood? How did you potty train?

(Though we never did Santa either, so....)

Yeah, the eldest girl was, like, five when she got annoyed at me for stopping tickling her when she said "no". That was the day we talked about safewords...!

I don't think any of my kids really picked up on this during toddlerhood so that they remembered later.  I've also tended not to let them in when I'm actually

dealing with that stuff, as I find they rather get in the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

Why on earth not???   I hear this ALL the time from people, and apparently when the endocrinologist told my mom to tell me about it, that was her reaction, too, but what on earth do the two things have to do with one another?  Honestly, it's just a biological fact of life, that is important for kids to know about.  It's no different than knowing about digestion of food.

Yeah, my kids have known about periods since they could talk I think. I mean, hello, they follow me in the bathroom. And I was NOT going to hide it or pretend it was some secret. I talk about it early often with my DD8. And yes she still believes in Santa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluegoat said:

I don't think any of my kids really picked up on this during toddlerhood so that they remembered later.  I've also tended not to let them in when I'm actually

dealing with that stuff, as I find they rather get in the way. 

I was dragging them in until they were, like, five. They had an amazing habit of getting into trouble the second I closed my eyes, so....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shawthorne44 said:

Believing in Santa is an indicator of a rather young child, and saying 'still believes in Santa' is a vivid way of saying too small to deal with adult things.    Periods suck.   I bleed myself anemic.   As a teenager, I once literally prayed for death, I was in such pain.   This was before the miracle of prescription Ibuprofen.  I think that is reasonable of me to hope that it is far in the future to spare her. 

Well, yeah I can get that, but periods don't have to be that way, and are not for most people. And I can get not wanting her to deal with pain and bleeding, but some people seem to be saying girls that are young enough to believe in Santa shouldn't even KNOW about periods. You don't have to go into a long story about the worst cramps of your life, but I think girls should know that women bleed monthly, that it is normal and not a scary thing and doesn't mean there is an injury, that there are a variety of options to keep the blood off their clothes, that sometimes it causes a bit of pain sort of like a tummy ache but there is medicine you can take for it. 

And if you haven't tried naproxen rather than ibuprofen, I highly recommend it. There are studies showing that it can cut the volume of blood almost in half. I've had miraculous results with it myself when I had withdrawal bleeding after hormonal birthcontrol. I think the dosage was basically twice the over the counter dosage, but I just took the regular over the counter dosage and saw great improvement. Ibuprofen doesn't do the same thing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Well, yeah I can get that, but periods don't have to be that way, and are not for most people. And I can get not wanting her to deal with pain and bleeding, but some people seem to be saying girls that are young enough to believe in Santa shouldn't even KNOW about periods. You don't have to go into a long story about the worst cramps of your life, but I think girls should know that women bleed monthly, that it is normal and not a scary thing and doesn't mean there is an injury, that there are a variety of options to keep the blood off their clothes, that sometimes it causes a bit of pain sort of like a tummy ache but there is medicine you can take for it. 

And if you haven't tried naproxen rather than ibuprofen, I highly recommend it. There are studies showing that it can cut the volume of blood almost in half. I've had miraculous results with it myself when I had withdrawal bleeding after hormonal birthcontrol. I think the dosage was basically twice the over the counter dosage, but I just took the regular over the counter dosage and saw great improvement. Ibuprofen doesn't do the same thing. 

How does that work?  I thought the discharge was from the lining, which wouldn't change from taking a drug like that, would it?

3 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

How does that work?  I thought the discharge was from the lining, which wouldn't change from taking a drug like that, would it?

It seems there is actually some continued bleeding during the process, which is effected by prostaglandins. The ingredient in Aleve/Naprox/etc effects prostaglandins. It's impressive. I'm still seriously annoyed that all women are not told about Aleve for heavy bleeding. It should be common knowledge and it isn't. This was the first study I could grab right now, but there are more. http://www.sajog.org.za/index.php/SAJOG/article/view/587/387

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yeah, my kids have known about periods since they could talk I think. I mean, hello, they follow me in the bathroom. And I was NOT going to hide it or pretend it was some secret. I talk about it early often with my DD8. And yes she still believes in Santa. 

28 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I was dragging them in until they were, like, five. They had an amazing habit of getting into trouble the second I closed my eyes, so....

Yes, to the above, especially getting into trouble at the most inopportune times. Heck, my olders are teens and they still try to follow me into the bathroom. <eye roll>

I really didn’t want my girls to be horribly surprised or afraid something was wrong with them because I didn’t want to spoil their innocence. We’ve had so many talks through the years starting when they were toddlers asking why I was bleeding and did it hurt. Frankly, at this point I think they’re likely to roll their eyes at me when I start talking about stuff. The upside is that none of my girls who have started their periods are embarrassed about letting dh know when they need supplies. 

And, Katie, naproxen? How have I suffered through beyond heavy bleeding without knowing about naproxen?!? I’m going to try this next month. 

Edited by brehon
Because correct syntax is a thing...

5 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

It'll probably just normalize it. I'm not really arguing one way or another, just saying how I feel. 

Yes, we definitely normalize it here. I very very very much make it out to be no big deal, just how bodies work. Just like we pee and poop and blow our noses, this happens too. Nothing to get all bent out of shape about. 

I only skimmed the thread, so this may have already been mentioned.  Is it possible she may have hemorrhoids from straining?  I remember being that age at summer camp and refusing to have a bm in the shared bathroom.  When I came home (a week later!) my first bm, was, um, how shall we say, uncomfortable.  

I'm totally going to have some of that Naproxen on hand.   I've heard anecdotes that bleeding lessened when people switched from disposable pads to mama pads, or tampons to a cup.   Although how people measure that, who knows?   But, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than lining being dumped going on.  

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Please note that taking ibuprofen etc to reduce bleeding has been associated with increasing miscarriage greatly. There are some studies etc. I think they were done in Canada. 

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Please note that taking ibuprofen etc to reduce bleeding has been associated with increasing miscarriage greatly. There are some studies etc. I think they were done in Canada. 

Taken during menstruation only?

57 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

But she’s not talking about ibuprofen but natproxen. 

If it's true of ibuprofen, I might be suspicious of the naproxen as well, unless they had also looked at it. But I think it means while pregnant, and I'm not sure that's something that is agreed on by all.

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I had horrible periods in my teens and naproxen was amazing. My Dr prescribed a much larger dose than the OTC dose-  I think 1100 mg every 8 hrs? It worked great - lighter flow and almost nothing for cramps. Prior to using it, I would have 7-10 days of heavy bleeding and cramps so bad I'd throw up. It sucked. I ended up getting put on BCP pills as well but even prior to that, the naproxen made a huge difference.

3 hours ago, Bluegoat said:

If it's true of ibuprofen, I might be suspicious of the naproxen as well, unless they had also looked at it. But I think it means while pregnant, and I'm not sure that's something that is agreed on by all.

taken just before menstruation to try and reduce bleeding. Most people do not know they are pregnant until after menstruation is missed.

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

taken just before menstruation to try and reduce bleeding. Most people do not know they are pregnant until after menstruation is missed.

Ah, what I'm taking about is taking naproxen WHILE menstruating. Not before. 

• Like 1

The jury is still out on Aleve, but early indications are that it is the "More Miraculous Drug" .    My period was expected today, but it came Thursday, so that is why the jury is still out.  But, I took Aleve instead of Motrin and this was the easiest period I can remember.   I was even expecting an ugly one.  I use progesterone cream and when I'm not good about using it, my periods are usually worse, and I haven't been good.  

• Like 2