Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW17: The Listeners by Walter De La Mare

Robin M

I'm in the minority. I've read both The Secret History and We Have Always Lived in the Castle and thought both were meh. 

My current reading -

Middlemarch 
Blue Lightning - a Shetland mystery

I'm almost done listening to A Higher Loyalty and  my takeaway is that James Comey did the wrong thing while truly believing he was doing what was best for the country. The reason I started listening to this is because I was getting bored with The Cider House Rules. It's a good story but it was at a point where it was really dragging, and when I picked up Comey's book with an Audible credit it gave me an excuse to leave Cider Hours Rules for a while. 

Long term non-fiction reads include Enlightment Now and Before the Dawn

• Like 7

On 4/22/2018 at 6:22 PM, Mom-ninja. said:

I'm sad that I'm done with the Parasol Protectorate series. That's the problem with binge reading a series. It's sad when you're done. I am reading Middlemarch which is fine so far but Dorothea is not Alexia. There is also no yummy Scotsman. Oh well. I'm listening to The Martian on audio as well. 

I've started reading a short story each day (or close to each day) from a collection of The Best American Short Stories. I really love short stories so I have no idea why I don't read them more often. This book will keep me reading for awhile. It was a happy find at the library book sale. 

Mom-ninja, thanks for reminding me about that series. I have only read Soulless, but I really liked it. 

On 4/22/2018 at 6:15 PM, tuesdayschild said:

My Goodreads want-to-read list is swelling with BaW shared titles....

Other than my (snail-paced) sip reading titles these are my current reads:

• The Book of Psalms   (in a standard KJV bible)  I’m hoping to count this as my ye olde “book” written before 1600 - technically it was ;-P  though it was translated and published in the English KJV bible in 1611.
  • The Listerdale Mystery ~ Agatha Christie (audio) London / “Philomel Cottage”/ Merseyside/ Hampshire/ Surrey/ An “English Village”
  • While We’re Far Apart ~ Lynn Austin  WWII USA-centric  I’m trying to give Penny, a key character in the book, time to get some spunk – currently she’s just irritating!

I love the term sip reading. My sip reading is usually a non-fiction history book. I just started Scandinavians: In Search of the Soul of the North by Robert Ferguson. I expect to be sipping it for a long time. Speaking of sipping, last night I finished a TV series that ran to about 30 hours. I think I started it in 2014 :blush:.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:17 AM, Violet Crown said:

Looking ahead, if anyone is still looking for a good Hampshire book: Thomas Malory's great Morte d'Arthur, on my tbr pile since forever, is of course set in Camelot; but I'd forgotten that Malory was firmly convinced that Camelot was Winchester.

Morte d'Arthur also fits the 15th century Bingo Square. I have it in mind if I get ambitious. Which probably won't happen. Because I have other reading 2018 ambitions that are silently rebuking me now that it is almost the end of April.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Robin M said:

Finished my first read of Fair Game in Patricia Brigg's Alpha and Omega series.  I want to read it again already. :biggrin:  Dove into Dead Heat and I'll have to get Burn Bright soon.   Have to figure out the chronology and how fits into Mercy's universe.  

Pushed my Iceland read Far North off the bus as well as England reads so need to figure out which bus stop I need to jump back on.  

Has anyone seen A Quiet Place yet?   Also came across Book Riot's 5 Books if you liked A Quiet Place. I have two in my stacks, Bird Box and The Road,  but really want to read The Silence.

I did not think that the trailers for A Quiet Place looked that good, but I sure am intrigued now. I keep hearing that it is worth seeing - I think we will go over the weekend.

5 hours ago, aggieamy said:

Two more done!

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - So I'm the last person on earth to read this. It's not my genre at all ... the cozy factor and romance was zero percent. I loved it though. Splendid writing. Just a bit creepy. Great characters. Highly recommend.

I haven't read it yet, either!

(Sorry for two multiquote posts in a row. I am not so good at multiquote.)

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Kareni said:

If you haven't read the Alpha and Omega novella that started the series, you'll also want to read it here (where it first appeared), here (in this anthology), or here (by itself).

Here's the timelime you're looking for.

Regards,
Kareni

Thank you, thank you, thank you!   Read the novella today.  :wub:    

Having computer issues - blue screen of death several times before could get it to come up.  Time to research new computer. Glad I backed up everything a few days ago.  Hubby just walked in the door. Great timing, huh!

TTFN

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 6packofun said:

In light of today's news, I'll plug I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara.  One of the best true crime books I've read and I jumped up and down to see the news that this bastard was caught today.

I'm in line for it at the library - I'm #29 and I think I started out at #44. Glad to hear the book will be worth the wait! And I was thrilled when I heard the news today!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, 6packofun said:

In light of today's news, I'll plug I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara.  One of the best true crime books I've read and I jumped up and down to see the news that this bastard was caught today.

7 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

I'm in line for it at the library - I'm #29 and I think I started out at #44. Glad to hear the book will be worth the wait! And I was thrilled when I heard the news today!

I put this one on hold also.  It’s very popular.  I am way far down the list but there are multiple copies.

9 hours ago, Robin M said:

Having computer issues - blue screen of death several times before could get it to come up.  Time to research new computer. Glad I backed up everything a few days ago.  Hubby just walked in the door. Great timing, huh!

TTFN

Good luck with the computer!

1 hour ago, Teaching3bears said:

I finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.  I did not like it but I will try others by him at some point.

I am currently reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett which I have never read.  Long book, but it is a page-turner!

I loved Pillars of the Earth but long!  The newish third in the series is one of my planned books for Brit Tripping.  I am looking forward to it.

Btw,  the second in the series was good also.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, mumto2 said:

You aren't the last.........

19 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

I haven't read it either. :blush:

19 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Me either. At least the shame is spread thin!

18 hours ago, marbel said:

Um, I just added We Have Always Lived in the Castle to my "to read" list.  I have always meant to read it... sort of... 

:blush::laugh:

LOL. Okay then. I've got this new book to tell you guys about! The only other person I know that's read it is Kathy!  :biggrin:

17 hours ago, Penguin said:

I love the term sip reading. My sip reading is usually a non-fiction history book. I just started Scandinavians: In Search of the Soul of the North by Robert Ferguson. I expect to be sipping it for a long time. Speaking of sipping, last night I finished a TV series that ran to about 30 hours. I think I started it in 2014 :blush:.

I love the term sipping. I just fits so perfectly. What series was it you just finished?

On one of the audible sales they had all the Dragnet radio shows on sale. It's almost 140 hours long. Every few days I listen to a show or three. I love them but I know at this rate it will take me years to get through them. I can't listen to them in the car because for reasons I don't understand at all DH hates Dragnet (and M*A*S*H). *shrug* I don't understand it.

• Like 5

Brit Trippers - Anyone want to report in with where they are this week? Is anyone actually in Northumbria?

I've just started Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil today so for the moment I'm on the bus and in the right location. First time in about four weeks. I've been searching for next week's book (Isle of Wight) but can't find anything to catch me yet. Might be another WILD CARD week.

Has anyone read any wild card books they've loved this year?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Oh, now I'm curious. :biggrin:

After I did some more detailed stalking on Goodreads I noticed you have added but didn't rate We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Do you remember why you thought it was meh?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

After I did some more detailed stalking on Goodreads I noticed you have added but didn't rate We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Do you remember why you thought it was meh?

That’s one I have planned to read pretty much every year.  It is one of BF’s favorites and Dd has a copy someplace thanks to her godmother.  Pretty sure Dd liked it several years ago.

18 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

Brit Trippers - Anyone want to report in with where they are this week? Is anyone actually in Northumbria?

I've just started Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil today so for the moment I'm on the bus and in the right location. First time in about four weeks. I've been searching for next week's book (Isle of Wight) but can't find anything to catch me yet. Might be another WILD CARD week.

Has anyone read any wild card books they've loved this year?

Well my Northumbria book ended up being set in Durham and Yorkshire so far.  It’s Telling Tales by Ann Cleeves and it has me pretty confused location wise.  It seems to be a mixture of real and made up that because I actually know how long it takes to get between the points I can fix in my mind it is confusing.  I set it aside but plan to finish it soon because.....

I actually have the new St. Cyr so my series reread just became my priority.  I am almost done with What remains of Heaven and am loving these.  I missed so many details my first time through that are fascinating.  One character (can’t say because of Kareni. ;)  )that we both disliked hugely is actually rather sad upon reflection.

Isle of Wight........It is one of the locations in Face Down Among the Winchester Geese if you have any interest in that series.  I really want to read England, England eventually.  I am going to read the Day of the Triffids.

I finished listening to a new to me Christie earlier this week called Mystery on the Blue Train with Poirot.  I had to do the abridged BBC because that was what I had available.  It was interesting, sort of a much lesser Orient Express.  Btw, If you haven’t seen the new Orient Express movie with Kenneth Branagh I really loved the fabulous scenery but for me David Suchet is Poirot.......I am finding that I much prefer the audiobooks that Suchet narrates.  Hugh Fraser is pretty good but the BBC cast  in Mystery on the Blue Train drove me nuts.  If it hadn’t been under 3 hours I would have quit.  Lesson learned I like being read to by one person.....different voices are good but one person.

• Like 4

Here is a link for Isle of Wight from Trip Fiction for those looking.  https://www.tripfiction.com/find-a-book/page/2/?location=Isle of Wight&btitle&bauthor&genre=Genre...

Amy, this might a good time to try Jeanne Dams Dorothy Martin series.  It is set in a make believe Cathedral town but has plenty of real places blended in https://www.goodreads.com/series/42205-dorothy-martin. These are in my plans but not on the master list. Sorry!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aggieamy said:

I love the term sipping. I just fits so perfectly. What series was it you just finished?

On one of the audible sales they had all the Dragnet radio shows on sale. It's almost 140 hours long. Every few days I listen to a show or three. I love them but I know at this rate it will take me years to get through them. I can't listen to them in the car because for reasons I don't understand at all DH hates Dragnet (and M*A*S*H). *shrug* I don't understand it.

It was a Danish series called Matador. Produced in the late 1970s, it is the saga of a small (fictional) Danish town through the 1930s and 1940s. It is hard to overestimate how important this series is to Danish culture, and Princess Mary (originally from Austrailia) claimed that she used it to help herself learn Danish. It is a wonderful series, and would definitely appeal to those folks who like period dramas. Alas, I know of no way to access a version that has English subtitles other than ordering the DVDs from Denmark.

• Like 5

You may already be aware of the free summer offerings of Sync Audiobooks for teens.

Here are the offerings for this summer:

SUMMER 2018 SYNC TITLE PAIRINGS

April 26 – May 2

May 3  – May 9

May 10  – May 16

May 17 – May 23

May 24 – May 30

May 31 – June 6

June 7 – June 13

June 14 – June 20

June 21 – June 27

June 28  – July 4

July 5 – July 11

July 12 – July 18

July 19 – July 25

You can go here to download this week's audiobooks.

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 5

For Northumbria I read Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare, and A Night Like This by Julia Quinn. For Isle of Wight I am currently reading Tennyson's Gift by Lynne Truss, which I am having to read slowly because I find it to be so absurd. I think that this will be the first time that I have been on the bus at the correct place and time!

I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning today reading the first Lady Darby book - I couldn't put it down, definitely a 5! Although I've only read the first book, I already like her so much better than Lady Emily and Lady Julia Grey. I like that she has an individual identity/passion other than bland Victorian society widow who decides to be an inquiry agent because she's bored. I also started the Sebastian St. Cyr series, and really like that as well. I've got #2 for both series sitting here waiting for me.

In last week's thread, someone (I think aggieamy) asked me if I have one particular audio book to listen to when dealing with middle of the night wakefulness. I don't, but in the past I did use North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell for this purpose, and may try that again. I also often listen to a podcast of daily liturgical readings, because the voice is so soothing.

Recent reading:

65. A Night Like This, by Julia Quinn (Berkshire, London, Northumberland)

66. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, by Jennifer Ashley (London, Scotland) Hero has Asperger's - interesting read.

67. A Plague on Both Your Houses, by Susanna Gregory (Cambridgeshire) Good medieval mystery. I probably won't read any more because my libraries don't have this series, and I don't want to keep buying them as I won't re-read. 

68. The Soldier, by Grace Burrowes (Yorkshire)

69. Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage, by Jennifer Ashley (Kent, London, Scotland, S. Yorkshire)

70. Secrets of a Summer Night, by Lisa Kleypas (Hampshire, London) I did a lot of skimming - didn't really care for this one, although it was well-written.

71. What Angels Fear, by C.S. Harris (London) I am looking forward to reading more of this series.

72. Red Adam's Lady, by Grace Ingram (?) The location is described as being 40 miles from York, it is on the coast, and the characters watch the sun rise over the water in one scene. Based on that it could be either N. Yorkshire or Humberside. I'm leaning toward Humberside so that I can use it as a wild card ;)  A good medieval historical fiction. It seems to more accurately depict male and female roles and interactions than other medieval romance-type books. For that reason it could be unsettling for some, as the hero and heroine meet when he is drunk and thinks she is a peasant girl, and intends to treat her as such (she doesn't get the option to refuse, until she knocks him unconscious).

73. The Duke and I, by Julia Quinn (London, Sussex)

74. Lady Fortescue Steps Out, by Marion Chesney (London) meh

75. A Counterfeit Betrothal, by Mary Balogh (Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire, London) 

76. The Notorious Rake, by Mary Balogh (London)

77. The Anatomist's Wife, by Anna Lee Huber (Scotland) Loved this!

• Like 5

I read and enjoyed We Have Always Lived in the Castle.  Not my favorite book but well written, and worth reading. Shirley Jackson's The Lottery left me scarred from elementary school. It wasn't even the book but a movie of The Lottery that we had to watch 2 or 3 years in a row in the school cafeteria. There was little no discussion that I can remember around it, and it just profoundly and deeply troubled me. It took almost 40 years before I could face reading something written by her!

If I'm going to reread anything with the word "castle" in the title, it would be the Dodi Smith book, I Capture the Castle. Now there's a book I adore!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, aggieamy said:

<snip>

Haha, nowhere near Northumbria.  :blush::wink:

I am currently reading The Language of Bees, which is Sussex and London.   Today, I picked up Henrietta's War, which I plan to read tomorrow during a long waiting time with one of my kids. That's Devonshire, right?  I also have Just One Damned Thing After Another, which is North Yorkshire... even though I already have finished Venetia for N Yorkshire... but nothing for YORK!  Also have Rose Cottage for Durham. 

So I am a couple of weeks behind... and ahead... 

I don't even have a plan for Northumbria or Tyne and Wear.  So I'll be stalking Goodreads again soon.

Oh, and I downloaded the audio of Far From the Madding Crowd which I believe can correspond with Dorset?   

My only wild card at this point is The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which right now is plugged into Bedfordshire because that's the only county I've skipped so far. 

Hoping to have a big chunk of time to read tomorrow... driving one of my kids to a transfer event at a potential college. He just  needs me to drive... not because he can't drive, but because he is my LD/ADD/anxiety kid and the event itself is stressful enough without him having to get there during rush hour and find parking on his own.  I won't be walking around with him. I've already scoped out a coffee shop near the campus (but off campus, so no danger of running into him).   

• Like 8

3 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I read and enjoyed We Have Always Lived in the Castle.  Not my favorite book but well written, and worth reading. Shirley Jackson's The Lottery left me scarred from elementary school. It wasn't even the book but a movie of The Lottery that we had to watch 2 or 3 years in a row in the school cafeteria. There was little no discussion that I can remember around it, and it just profoundly and deeply troubled me. It took almost 40 years before I could face reading something written by her!

That is one of my absolute favorite stories ever. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I put this one on hold also.  It’s very popular.  I am way far down the list but there are multiple copies.

Good luck with the computer!

I loved Pillars of the Earth but long!  The newish third in the series is one of my planned books for Brit Tripping.  I am looking forward to it.

Btw,  the second in the series was good also.

I did not know there was a series.  Do the other books continue with the same characters?

• Like 6

On 4/22/2018 at 7:07 PM, mumto2 said:

You might want to try The Custard Protocol series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12799420-prudence .  I won't say it is as fun as the original Parasol Protectorate but the story does continue.  She also has a YA called The Finishing School series which I enjoyed and Dd loved this one of a prequel.

I am feeling too lazy to edit but I am curious about Miss Silver out of order......I read the first three recently and there wasa bit of a continuing storyline going on.   The main couple from one  book carried on in terms of her knitting in the next, which I liked the awww factor of knowing they were happy together.   I think it could be ignored but I sometimes have problems with out of order.  Were there any major holes or so minor they just didn't matter. If I hadn't read close to back to back I probably would not have noticed that they were the same characters.

Btw, I totally agree with you on Ian Rutledge being better when just reading an occasional title out of order which is such   

I do plan on reading her other books, but I am making myself wait until I have finished Middlemarch. That's my plan. I will stick to it. 

• Like 8

30.  "The Skull Beneath the Skin" by P.D. James. (Dorset, London)  

29. "How to Be a Pirate" by Cressida Cowell.  Continuing on the the How to Train Your Dragon series with DD8.  She has really gotten into being read aloud to with this series.

28.  "Simply Classical" by Cheryl Swope.  Fantastic!  Wish it had showed up on my radar when my first child was diagnosed with ASD; I would have stressed less.  I'll be coming back to this often.

• 27. "Partners in Crime" by Agatha Christie. (London, Surrey, Sussex, Berkshire, Suffolk, Devon)
  • 26. "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" by J.K. Rowling. (London, Surrey, and Devon)
  • 25. "Give Your Child the World" by Jamie C. Martin.
  • 24. "Vanishing Girl" by Shane Peacock. (London, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedforshire, and Hampshire! --  I'll have my choice, and I've finally left London on my Brit trip!)
  • 23. "Honey for a Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt.
  • 22. "How to Train Your Dragon" by Cressida Cowell.
  • 21. "Death in the Air" by Shane Peacock. (London) 
  • 20. "Her Royal Spyness" by Rhys Bowen. (London)
  • 19. "Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire" by Rafe Esquith.
  • 18. "Every Falling Star" by Sungju Lee. 
  • 17. "The Nature Fix" by Florence Williams.
  • 16. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" by J,K. Rowling. (London and Surrey)
  • 15. "Why Don't Students Like School?" by Daniel T. Willingham.
  • 14. "Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd" by Alan Bradley. (London and fictional Bishop's Lacy)
  • 13. "Eye of the Crow" by Shane Peacock. (London)
  • 12.  "Secret Adversary" by Agatha Christie.  (London, Dorset, Kent,  and fictional England, and WWI at the beginning -- The opening scene is set on the sinking Lusitania.)
  • 11.  "Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie.   (London, Essex,  and fictional England, and WWI -- Hastings is home from the war for convalescence.  So to go with it, I read the poem, "In Flanders Field" by John McRae, and several of the other poems on the same site.)
  • 10.  "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling. (London or Surrey)
  • 9.  "An Unsuitable Job For a Woman" by P.D. James. (Mainly Cambridge, some London)
  • 8. "Creative Schools" by Ken Robinson and Lou Aronica.
  • 7.  "CopShock: Surviving Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)" by Allen R. Kates.
  • 6. "Rethinking School: How to Take Charge of Your Child's Education" by Susan Wise Bauer.
  • 5. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling.  (London or Surrey)
  • 4. "Guerrilla Learning: How to give your kids a real education with or without school" by Grace Llewellyn and Amy Silver.
  • 3. "Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety" by Daniel Smith.
  • 2. "Mother had a Secret: Learning to love My Mother & Her Multiple Personalities" by Tiffany Fletcher.
  • 1. "Life's lessons Learned" by Dallin H. Oaks. (LDS)
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Teaching3bears said:

I did not know there was a series.  Do the other books continue with the same characters?

They continue in the same location.  I think some of the descendants appear in the second one but it was set 200 years later.  The next one is another 200 years.  The second did feel like a continuation.

Regarding Amy's question about good books for Brit  Tripping that have fictional locations .............the Pillars of the Earth question made me remember Susan Howatch and her Church of England\Starbridge series.  I haven't read them all perhaps the first three but found them very good.  As I remember they had adult content.  Another series I want to get back to.  I will try and get Goodreads updated with this week's activity and the Starbridge series tomorrow.  https://www.goodreads.com/series/75351-starbridge

• Like 7

Some recent reads here ~

On 2/26/2015 at 9:16 PM, Kareni said:

I'll have to investigate the St. Cyr books at some point.

Well, it's only been three years, but I finally read

What Angels Fear: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery  by C. S. Harris

and I enjoyed it!  I suspect I'll read on in the series at some point.   I found the author's note fascinating as I'd thought the hero's eye color and heightened senses to be due to authorial creativity; I'd never heard of Bithil Syndrome.  I was searching to find out a bit more and found this post from the author (and now, naturally, I've seen all manner of spoilers in the comment section ... oops!)

I re-read two wonderful romances by Kim Fielding, a favorite author:  The Tin Box  and Rattlesnake

I also read N.R. Walker's  Taxes and TARDIS  which was an enjoyable male/male romance 

and E.J. Russell's The Artist's Touch (Art Medium Book 1),  a somewhat spooky male/male romance.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Robin M said:

Having computer issues - blue screen of death several times before could get it to come up.  Time to research new computer. Glad I backed up everything a few days ago. 

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Alpha and Omega novella;  it's a work I have re-read numerous times.

Egads on the computer issues, and yay to the backing up.

8 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I actually have the new St. Cyr so my series reread just became my priority.  I am almost done with What remains of Heaven and am loving these.  I missed so many details my first time through that are fascinating.  One character (can’t say because of Kareni. ;)  )that we both disliked hugely is actually rather sad upon reflection

Ooh, tempting bits of information ....

7 hours ago, Cascadia said:

66. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, by Jennifer Ashley (London, Scotland) Hero has Asperger's - interesting read.

This is yet another favorite of mine.  I've enjoyed the rest of the series, but this is the book I re-read .... and re-read.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 5

And I finished another book this afternoon ~

The Nerd's Pocket Pets  by D.R. Grady

"Shelby Conroy has always had this thing for Mr. Clean and now she’s met his look-a-like. Sam Welby is an oncology pediatrician, former Navy SEAL, and all around yummy man. Except she’s supposed to be working for him, not drooling over him. Sam has managed to fight his attraction to Shelby so far, but he’s a little confused as to why her lab coat pockets wriggle."

This was a pleasant romance though one must be willing to suspend disbelief.  It's the fourth book in a series, but it stands alone well.  Amazon has it classified as a Clean and Wholesome romance; I'd agree.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 5

I'm at a high reader stress level. I ordered a book through interlibrary loan and instead of being sent to the library just down the street it ended up at the one across town. Now if I don't get there by tomorrow they'll send it back. 

Don't give me too much pity. I live in Kansas City so "across town" is anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes but never more than that. Still ... I really want to read that book and I might not make it over there! I've got until 5 pm tomorrow. 

• Like 8

I've skipped ahead, and I am reading "Murder at Hatfield House" in Herefordshire.  It is a mystery that takes place before Elizabeth I becomes queen.  I am really enjoying it.  I do plan on backtracking just a bit and going to Hampshire and then working my way back down the list.  I have a few titles with fictional villages on my list that I may read towards the end to fill in the gaps I miss.    I am also sill on "Clover"  I need the E and L.  

• Like 9

Some bookish posts ~

7 Of My Favorite Variations On The Djinn  by Jenn Northington

Five Books With Deadly Pop Music   by Nick Courage

From author Nicola Cornick   at the Word Wenches site:  The Tiffany Efffect

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2018 at 5:50 AM, mumto2 said:

Have not seen the Quiet Place.......it may be too horror visually for me.  I am watching The Tunnel on Prime currently and after the first episode of the second season am not sure about going on the Chunnel Train anymore.  Dh is going to love the fact that I only want to go at really busy times now!   Visuals freak me out far more than works on a page.

I'm generally the same way.  Enjoyed reading Martin's Game of Thrones and Stephen King's Under the Dome but couldn't watch the shows. Given that, I have watched several clips on you tube about Quiet Place.  It's just one of those that the concept is so intriguing, I just have to watch it. I know it will scare me silly and as long as I'm prepared for that, should be okay.  I had my trepidations about watching Odd Thomas but finally watched it and enjoyed it. 

On 4/25/2018 at 6:29 AM, marbel said:

I have pretty much abandoned all nonfiction. We're undergoing a bit of upheaval here at home and I need comfort reading right now. 

Hugs, Marbel!  

On 4/25/2018 at 8:35 AM, Kareni said:

All but one of the short works can be found in the Shifting Shadows collection. I'm fortunate that my library has the graphic novels mentioned in the timeline; I'd already read one and have requested the other (of which I was previously unaware).  I've put in a purchase suggestion for the book which includes Unappreciated Gifts (short story) which I have yet to read. The timeline was informative for me, too.

Regards,
Kareni

Cool beans! Adding to my want list. 

On 4/25/2018 at 9:15 AM, aggieamy said:

Two more done!

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - So I'm the last person on earth to read this. It's not my genre at all ... the cozy factor and romance was zero percent. I loved it though. Splendid writing. Just a bit creepy. Great characters. Highly recommend.

Damn Fine Storytelling by Chuck Wendig - Another writing book. Useful information but so much profanity. It was too much and not necessary.

I haven't read it yet even though we have it in a anthology of short stories.  I don't know if you have checked out Chuck Wendig website Terribleminds, but yes he does swear a lot.   Sometimes it's funny and other times it's just too much. 

On 4/25/2018 at 1:43 PM, Penguin said:

I did not think that the trailers for A Quiet Place looked that good, but I sure am intrigued now. I keep hearing that it is worth seeing - I think we will go over the weekend.

Let me know what you think!

On 4/25/2018 at 5:31 PM, 6packofun said:

Both my hubby and I will definitely read it.   Our local news has been full of interviews with all his neighbors and how he was caught.  

On 4/26/2018 at 7:10 AM, aggieamy said:

Hubby hates any type of audiobook. They make him nervous.  He'd jump at the chance to watch Dragnet, but listen to it.  Nope! 

On 4/26/2018 at 10:36 AM, JennW in SoCal said:

I didn't know The Lottery was made into a movie.  Can't imagine showing it to elementary school kids.  Heck I read The Lottery in College and was disturbed.  It was on the list to read with James and I vetoed it.  

• Like 7

Mum and Karen, you talked me into it.  I  just bought the paperback What Angels Fear as well as ebook of The Nerd's Pocket Pets.  I'm headed to Fort Worth next week and Harris's book would be a great airplane read.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Mum and Karen, you talked me into it.  I  just bought the paperback What Angels Fear as well as ebook of The Nerd's Pocket Pets.  I'm headed to Fort Worth next week and Harris's book would be a great airplane read.  

I hope you'll enjoy them both, Robin.  Safe travels!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

I just finished North Wolf  by M.A. Everaux; it's an out of print book about which I've heard for years.  Hmm, the build up was far better than the book. I won't be re-reading this.  (Copious adult content)

"Gwen Branson has a problem. It's not that she's spent the last four years of her life in a mental institute, or that her father is dead and her mother's driving her crazy. Her problem is that she's seen a werewolf and no one believes her. At least...no one human. Eben Lowell has a problem of his own. As an Alpha Were, he must preserve his pack's safety and secrecy. Human witnesses are destroyed. Gwen Branson, however, is a problem not so easily solved. Because Gwen is more than just a human, she's his mate."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 5

On 4/26/2018 at 12:36 PM, JennW in SoCal said:

If I'm going to reread anything with the word "castle" in the title, it would be the Dodi Smith book, I Capture the Castle. Now there's a book I adore!

This is supposed to be one of JK Rowling's favorite books as well. I purchased it to read last year and it's still sitting on my to-read shelf.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:37 PM, marbel said:

Hoping to have a big chunk of time to read tomorrow... driving one of my kids to a transfer event at a potential college. He just  needs me to drive... not because he can't drive, but because he is my LD/ADD/anxiety kid and the event itself is stressful enough without him having to get there during rush hour and find parking on his own.  I won't be walking around with him. I've already scoped out a coffee shop near the campus (but off campus, so no danger of running into him).   

How did your son's transfer day go?

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

A tip for you ... better buy the second book and bring it along too because you'll want it for the plane ride back ...

I think the series will be one you'll like.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

<snip>

How did your son's transfer day go?

<snip>

It was good!  He came out feeling pretty encouraged. But, it's the only school he's visited and he can graduate from CC in December, so he really needs to get on it to transfer in the spring.  Though, he may wait till fall.... he is my late bloomer, my kid for whom nothing comes easy.  The nice thing is, the community college has transfer agreements with several universities (I'm sure our school is not unique in that regard) so the application process is not daunting. Basically, he is guaranteed admission if he gets his Associates Degree. So he has some time... but I'm impatient. Give me my empty nest already!  :laugh:  Mostly kidding.   There is a younger child who is taking her sweet time too.  

ETA: I didn't get as much reading done as I'd hoped.  But I'm almost finished with The Language of Bees and hope to polish it off tonight. Then, on to Henrietta's War!

• Like 8

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:10 AM, aggieamy said:

The DC and I started listening to Dragnet late last year with a  few episodes each day - DS deselected himself from the listening :laugh:  and it's definitely become a pause-until-next-Christmas-holidays listen for me. :biggrin: it's so looong.

In regards to Brit Tripping, Northumbria has been visited :smile: and I'm busing along elsewhere. (I could have used The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry but just slipped a wild card into that county for now.)  

I've just completed two sip reads this week - which feels like an achievement as one book had lost it's charm, I just haven't been in the frame of mind for that genre (1800's humour):

• First Lady: The Life and Wars of Clementine Churchill ~ Sonia Purnell  (4.5) Isle of Wight/Oxfordshire/Norfolk/Surrey/Essex/London/Kent/ Buckinghamshire.         Started out with a library book, switched to audio.  Clementine passed away at 92yrs of age having lived a very full, highly pressured life – it’s not until reading this biography that I was even aware of her as anything other than Winston Churchill’s wife.  If you don’t want to read the book I’d recommend listening to the interview with Sonia Purnell here. 
  • Three Men in a Boat ~ Jerome   London/ Chesire/ Buckinghamshire/ Surrey/ Berkshire/ Dorset/ Oxfordshire. 

Now that those sip reads are finished I'd like to try and complete North and South before the end of May.

Just started:

Tom Brown’s School Days ~ Thomas Hughes    Warwickshire

The writing style is beautiful!

• Like 5

18 hours ago, aggieamy said:

I live in Kansas City so "across town" is anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes but never more than that. Still ... I really want to read that book and I might not make it over there! I've got until 5 pm tomorrow. 

Enquiring minds wish to know ~ Did you make it?

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

On 27/04/2018 at 7:37 AM, marbel said:

I also have Just One Damned Thing After Another, which is North Yorkshire... even though I already have finished Venetia for N Yorkshire... but nothing for YORK!  Also have Rose Cottage for Durham. 

So I am a couple of weeks behind... and ahead... 

I don't even have a plan for Northumbria or Tyne and Wear.  So I'll be stalking Goodreads again soon.

If we are able to count more than one county per book, you may not want to, Venetia went to York too.  Counties visited in this book: Yorkshire, York/ East Sussex/ London.

I can't find anything that looks appealing, for me, yet with Tyne and Wear.  Like a pp mentioned, it may end up being covered with a Wild Card village.

Q: I think I remember this being discussed before, sorry for the repeat.....  Perhaps Amy or Sandy could help with this: Are we able to "count" all the counties mentioned in a book or just 1 county per book?

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

Tuesdayschild, what did you think of Tom Brown's School Days? It's one of those old bestsellers that I keep not getting around to reading, so I'd be glad for a review.

It's been on my want to read list for years for that exact reason - I've just started it, switching between book and audio, and I'm enjoying the (lengthy and rather Charles Dickens-ish) language usage so much.   I'll update enjoyment progress with the story next week.

Sharing this wee snippet,  which relates to Tom Brown's lineage: 

This family training, too, combined with their turn for combativeness, makes them eminently quixotic. They can't let anything alone which they think going wrong. They must speak their mind about it, annoying all easy-going folk, and spend their time and money in having a tinker at it, however hopeless the job. It is an impossibility to a Brown to leave the most disreputable lame dog on the other side of a stile. Most other folk get tired of such work. The old Browns, with red faces, white whiskers, and bald heads, go on believing and fighting to a green old age. They have always a crotchet going, till the old man with the scythe reaps and garners them away for troublesome old boys as they are.

• Like 7