Menu

Too short again!

Night Elf

I just got my hair cut by someone with a heavy oriental accent. She would ask me a question and I tried to understand and clarify but I just wasn't speaking her language. She basically did what she thought would look good. She made the top of my head short which I don't like because I wake up with bed head. I do not like using any product in my hair. I am used to waking up and finger brushing my hair and I'm ready for the day. If she ruined that ability, I'm going to be most unhappy. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I wake up.

I hope it all works out for you. When I had short hair it worked best to wash/ style and then the next few days use TIGI Rockstar dry shampoo and finger style. In case your new haircut needs extra styling that is what I would recommend. 

• Like 1

so sorry - I hate that too.   I think it's part of the reason I would end up with long hair I just pulled back.

I loath bangs - I had one who started bangs WAY back on my head - and she did it in a wedge shape.like a pageboy.   I made such a stink, I got the haircut for free and someone else worked on it until it at least looked halfway decent.

I've also had the not take off something I wanted off - so I'd go after it myself.

this last time - we even looked at pictures.  I think afterwards she realized how she cut my hair wasn't going to give that look as my hair was loaded with product trying to achieve it.  I almost never use product.   I had to chop off the back when I got home.  (I trim along the bottom of my skull in a straight line. I can get the line I want ..).  I figure I'll be doing that for the next three months . . . and my hair grows fast.  in the meantime, it looks ok even if it's not what I want and I'm getting compliments.   and it is wash and brush/fingercomb. but it's not what i wanted.

I hate getting my haircut.

I went a couple weeks ago to a salon to get my hair cut for the first time in over a year.  I've been cutting it myself but decided to start again with a decent cut.  I told her I wanted it slightly longer than shoulder length, long layers, and bangs.  I already had bangs but she felt the need to point out that I didn't have layers before she cut.  Yes, i know I don't have layers, I want layers added.  She also asked about face frame and I said yes.  What I got was a shoulder length bob.   Almost no layers in the back, definitely no face framing layers.  

I think I"m going to just go and buy a really good pair of hair cutting scissors and go back to doing it myself.  Layers are pretty easy using the ponytail method, and my hair is thick and wavy enough to excuse anything that's off.

2 hours ago, Night Elf said:

I just got my hair cut by someone with a heavy oriental accent. She would ask me a question and I tried to understand and clarify but I just wasn't speaking her language. She basically did what she thought would look good. She made the top of my head short which I don't like because I wake up with bed head. I do not like using any product in my hair. I am used to waking up and finger brushing my hair and I'm ready for the day. If she ruined that ability, I'm going to be most unhappy. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I wake up.

You need to find someone you like and stick to that person.

If the woman had a heavy accent (I assume you mean Asian) that you couldn't understand, why didn't you ask for someone else?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Wet your hands when you run your fingers through your hair in the AM.

If you were telling her, "I want to run my fingers through me hair and get on with the day," then shorter would indeed be more conducive to that than not. 

Actually I did tell her that. I told her I finger brush my hair in the mornings and do not want any style that requires product.

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

You need to find someone you like and stick to that person.

If the woman had a heavy accent (I assume you mean Asian) that you couldn't understand, why didn't you ask for someone else?

I go to Great Clips now and don't always see the same people. In fact, I don't think any one of them has done my hair more than once. I used to go to a high end salon but I can't justify paying $60 for a short hair trim. This was the first time I got someone with an accent. It didn't occur to me to ask for someone else. Frankly, I'd feel like an idiot. Not logical I know, but I'm not a very  good logical person.

The cut isn't that bad now that it's dry. I actually like how short it is and how it sits on my head. The test will be when I wake up in the morning and see what my hair looks like. Hopefully it's fine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I go to Great Clips now and don't always see the same people. In fact, I don't think any one of them has done my hair more than once. I used to go to a high end salon but I can't justify paying $60 for a short hair trim. This was the first time I got someone with an accent. It didn't occur to me to ask for someone else. Frankly, I'd feel like an idiot. Not logical I know, but I'm not a very  good logical person.

The cut isn't that bad now that it's dry. I actually like how short it is and how it sits on my head. The test will be when I wake up in the morning and see what my hair looks like. Hopefully it's fine. 

There are a lot of options between a Great Clips place and a $60 haircut. Nothing wrong with either of those extremes, but finding someone who knows how you like your hair is worth the effort. It doesn’t have to be expensive. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Sometimes it takes a few days for my new cut to "grow" on me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Annie G said:

There are a lot of options between a Great Clips place and a $60 haircut. Nothing wrong with either of those extremes, but finding someone who knows how you like your hair is worth the effort. It doesn’t have to be expensive. 

I don't know of any other salons in my area. I'm not saying they aren't there but I haven't seen any in the places I've driven in and out of. Besides, my hair is so short, it's a simple cut really. It doesn't really need to be styled. It's cut up around the ears, the back is shortened and cut close to my head, and the top is either long or layered depending on who is doing the cut. It does annoy me to get it cut too short but it grows out quickly. As it is, I pay $19 for the cut at Great Clips and I think that is still too much for what I need. I don't want to go somewhere even more expensive!

2 hours ago, Night Elf said:

I don't know of any other salons in my area. I'm not saying they aren't there but I haven't seen any in the places I've driven in and out of. Besides, my hair is so short, it's a simple cut really. It doesn't really need to be styled. It's cut up around the ears, the back is shortened and cut close to my head, and the top is either long or layered depending on who is doing the cut. It does annoy me to get it cut too short but it grows out quickly. As it is, I pay $19 for the cut at Great Clips and I think that is still too much for what I need. I don't want to go somewhere even more expensive!

Next time that your hair is cut the way you like it, ask a friend/family member to take photos front, back and sides.  Then you can show the photos to the stylist at your next haircut. 

Also, if your stylist used clippers, ask for the number (blade comb).

I don't like getting my hair cut either.  I just never know how it'll turn out.  There are times when my boys have gone in with pictures of what they want, and they walk out with something entirely different.  It always feels so hit or miss.

• Like 1

I agree that it's best to find a stylist you like and stick with her/him. I found someone I like and have had her cut my hair every six weeks for the past 20+ years. It's kind of amazing to realize that she has cut my hair well over 200 times! She does a great job and is worth every penny.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TrixieB said:

Next time that your hair is cut the way you like it, ask a friend/family member to take photos front, back and sides.  Then you can show the photos to the stylist at your next haircut. 

Also, if your stylist used clippers, ask for the number (blade comb).

I hate to say it, but this will not help if the problem if the stylist is inexperienced and/or not very good at cutting to achieve the desired goal. The stylist might have understood her just fine but did not know how to effectively cut to her specifications.  An inexperienced stylist can also cut shorter than he or she intended to by trying to correct small mistakes. 

DH goes to Great Clips all the time. He usually gets a good enough cut and he does ask after certain stylists, but they are also not always there when he goes. (He never makes an appointment; when he means to get a haircut, he walks in, the end.) This last time he went, right before a wedding, I really disliked the results. He didn't like it either, but he also doesn't get too fussed about his hair.

I will not go to discounters like GC. If you wanted my advice, I would say find a salon that is not a chain discount franchise. Privately-owned salons care too much about their rep to hire newbies/people with no following. 

• Like 2

Our best ever hair stylist moved to the Pacific Coast, Portland, I think. So disappointing and we haven't found a decent replacement yet. She always knew what she was doing, always understood what we wanted and how our hair would behave with what we were asking for, we really miss her. She was never judgy mcjudgerson either.

I hope you can find someone you trust with your hair, Night Elf.

No problem! I woke up and finger brushed my hair and am ready to go. No hair is sticking up. I get my hair cut about every 4-5 weeks so since it's this short, I might wait a little longer. 

I"d love a small salon. I'll ask at the thrift store if anyone has a recommendation. I just don't want to pay a lot of money and I know you get what you pay for. So there it is.

• Like 1

I go to Great Clips or Hair Cuttery.  I do get the card of a stylist I like, but people seem to move around a lot so by the time I go again, the person I liked is gone.  And the quality of the cuts is inconsistent.

But I keep going.  I haven't been able to find a salon at a price point between cheap GC or HC, and $50-60 cuts.  Also, stylists at the better salons always comment negatively on my home-colored hair, which is legitimate, but I simply can't afford to have it done in a salon. The people at the cheap salons don't say a word about it. 

And, my hair grows fast so a bad cut won't last long!