Menu

need suggestions for a pet

gardenmom5

If she's considering a cat, our ds and his wife got a Siberian cat.  He is the most "dog-like" cat I've ever known, and apparently that is typical for them.  He comes excitedly to the door to greet them whenever they come home, he "talks" to them, he follows them around, he sits on their lap.  He's really sweet!  And huge!  He does seem to shed a lot.  (He has really long hair!)

http://cattime.com/cat-breeds/siberian-cats#/slide/1

Adoptapet is another website you might check. There will be a lot of duplication with Petfinder, but there are some shelters/rescues who no longer affiliate with Petfinder.

As far as rescue groups asking for an adoption application, etc. -- Yes, some of them are over the top in their requirements. Asking for the application to be filled out in advance of seeing a pet is not, IMO and IME, one of those over the top requirements. Neither is a home visit. You wouldn't believe how many people want to see pets on a whim. It's almost like people who like to go around looking at homes that are having open houses on a Sunday afternoon. Most of those people have zero intention of adopting, and it takes up a tremendous amount of volunteer time. Also, anyone who hasn't worked in rescue might not believe how often people will lie on an application. They lie about where they live (house versus apartment, owning versus renting), they lie about vets they've used, etc. Sometimes they give made up addresses. Unfortunately all the lying by unscrupulous people makes it harder for legitimate people to adopt. But once your application is cleared most rescues will bend over backwards to help you find the right pet for you. Don't be put off by the home visit--it's really just a formality to make sure you do in fact live where you say you do and there's not an ancient, falling down doghouse in your back yard with a rock hard dirt path worn around it (evidence that a dog has been tethered outside for a long, long time). Or worse yet, a dog already tethered in the back yard to an ancient dog house and with no food or water in sight when you've put on the application that you don't currently own a dog. Believe it or not, that happens pretty commonly when doing a home visit. They're not looking to see if your counters are spotless and that all your furnishings match. 

• Like 2

If you want to consider a bunny, this is a good resource about their needs and care https://rabbit.org/frequently-asked-questions/

they live a long time, they do well as house pets but you have to carefully bunny proof areas, they deserve more than to live in a hutch, they have personalities, some like to cuddle, they require vet care like all pets... 

• Like 2

I have a small dog - 12 pounds, and she uses the window petdoor. So easy to install and no worries about a person crawling through. Your daughter can even make a smaller fenced in area for a little dog so it is safer. My poodle loves walking but can easily skip a day or two. She absolutely loves snuggling and is so loyal. Poodles are exceptionally smart and might get too bored (we are home a lot), but other small dogs would be a good fit.  I think if she can devote 20 minutes in the morning to a walk and play and then be home at night to be with the dog, it might work. I would also look into getting a dog walker. My girls did this three days a week for a neighbor. They were 10 and 12 and were paid $5 a visit. They played with the dog for 10 - 15 minutes and walked it in the culdesac and down the street for another 10. Maybe she has neighbors who homeschool and have kids around during the day. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Pet-Products-Aluminum-Adjustable/dp/B000TKF55Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523826187&sr=8-1&keywords=pet+window+door

I am allergic to cats but not to our house bunny. Currently we have a four year old blue eyed white Lionhead female. Younger ds got her for 4H a few years ago. I have a special bunny area--smallish bedroom--for her fitted out with rag rugs, grass mats, bunny enclosures, a litter box and a baby gate blocking the door, so if the dogs ever get upstairs, she is safe.   Here's what I've found: Our bunny is very sweet and loves to be petted. LIke many bunnies, she hates being picked up, so I never pick her up unless she needs grooming. She is very food motivated and trainable; you can actually clicker train a bunny--so with treats and patience she could be trained to come up to greet me. She loves to dig and chew on things like lamp cords and books, so bunny-proofing is important. Toys are also important for mental stimulation. Our bun is about 4lbs, so she gets 1-3 cups of fresh greens, 1 tbsp of pellets, and unlimited hay daily. She is litter box trained. I spot clean the litter daily and clean it all out once per week. Her room needs vacuuming every 1-2 weeks. They should be spayed/neutered if you don't plan to breed. Ideally, she should have a companion bunny, but I don't have time to search for a suitable match (and am maxed out on animals right now anyway) and bunnies can be very particular about whom they bond with--so getting another is not a straightforward process. I just make sure she gets at least two solid petting sessions every day. This seems to be plenty. She is a great little pet and a lovely alternative to a cat, imo.

Here's a site with all kinds of information and tips, as well as a great store: www.binkybunny.com Oh and in addition to the shelter, there is a great exotic vet in Woodinville too. She actually lived in England for a few years and specialized in rabbits. 

• Like 3

thank you for the suggestion of the bunny. I passed it on - she doesn't want one.

an older dog should have lower energy needs than a puppy.

we're looking online- I appreciate the services that do it so you can see which rescue has what.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mrs. Tharp said:

I have a special bunny area--smallish bedroom--for her fitted out with rag rugs, grass mats, bunny enclosures, a litter box and a baby gate blocking the door, so if the dogs ever get upstairs, she is safe.    

What a lucky bunny! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, katilac said:

What a lucky bunny! 

That’s what bunnies need. It hurts my heart when I see rabbits confined to small cages. We use those small cages just for the litter box in one corner and food and water. 

I know that the OP’s daughter doesn’t want rabbits but I am glad that they sre researching ahead of time for whatever pet might be best. 

• Like 2

What about adopting two retired racing greyhounds? They really are couch potato dogs. They need brief, intense periods of play, and then are happy to go cuddle up and watch TV with you. I suggest two dogs, because they have been around dogs their entire lives. Only one would get very lonely.

• Like 1

I am not usually a small-dog person, but I used to be acquainted with a Japanese Chin that was kind of big dog in a small-dog body, by which I mean that it was friendly, sociable and not yappy.  All of the online descriptions of them, however, describe them as catlike.  I think that means that Chins groom themselves and like to be up high, not that they couldn't care less if their owner come home.

I empathize with your daughter's desire to have someone happy to see her when she gets home from work.  I got my first dog that was just mine (and not a family dog) when I was a student with a roommate who hated me.  I told my parents that wanted someone to be happy to see me when I got in from class and work, so they got me a golden retriever puppy.

ETA:  Now that I look back at it, I think maybe the dog I knew was a Tibetan Spaniel.  They are described very similarly,  though, so I guess it could have been either one.