Menu

Blisters in balls of feet....how do you.treat...and prevent?

Ottakee

I have water blisters on both feet right now from walking too far, too fast, too many days in a row this week. This weekend it was several days of 7+ miles.

What is the best treatment? How do you prevent them? I hope to do some 6-10 mile day hike this summer and don't want problems.

tricky

I have hard of rubbing soap on your feet helps

would a gel type insert work?

Twin one has some sort of bacterial infection that causes blisters (exacerbated by wearing plastic AFOs 24/7 ) we treat it with Daktarin  plus something called Fatty Cream. the fatty cream is a very concentrated fat ointment.

I get blisters when I don't eat enough salt.  You can also put a piece of moleskin over or around the skin that typically gets blistered, to prevent the rubbing that causes the blister. Also try different socks & shoes - you want to avoid friction.  For some people, you tie the laces of your tennis shoes or boots differently to prevent slipping.

You can buy special socks that have two layers - so when your feet slide inside your shoes just a little, the two layers socks rub against each other instead of your feet rubbing on socks. My DH wore them for playing indoor soccer. Before that he got horrible blisters on his feet.

Here's one example: https://www.amazon.com/Wrightsock-Anti-Blister-Double-Running-Quarter/dp/B005GXKOWU

I have Brooks dyads with a custom orthodic in one shoe. I just had in plain 1/4 socks.

Day one I did 3 miles then 1 hour break and then 2 more miles at a quicker pace than I am used to.

Day 2 I did 5 miles or so at my normal to slightly quicker pace. Blisters formed about last 1/2 mile of that walk.

Day 3 I didn't take ant long walks

Day 4 I walked 3 miles in 4-5 inches of snow at a decent but doable pace.

I finally popped the blisters before day 4 walk and covered them with moleskin. Before that I had made a donut shape out if moleskin as I kept hearing not to pop/drain the blisters.

I am quite overweight but generally can walk 3-4 miles at a decent pace without issues. I think the 5+ mile walk with some quicker pace likely did me in.

The only other time I have had blisters (and they were in the same spot) is when O walked with this same friend in downtown Chicago and we did 9 1/2+ miles in about 4 hours including stopping at Giordonos doe lunch.

Brooks dyads are the only shoe that seems to work for me and the latest model was changed so I know I need newer shoes but the new Dyads do not fit right at all.

I am sure I need better socks as well but I have fat ankles and most socks are way too tight around the ankle....so I get the diabetic 1/4 socks from medipeds.

I just want to be able to walk/hike more and more as the weather gets better.

Sometimes changing the way your shoe is laced can help prevent slippage. Here’s a guide that may help: http://www.runningstats.com/15-ways-prevent-blisters-running-shoes/

The only time I’ve gotten blisters on the balls of my feet is when my feet got too hot. Socks made out of a different fiber may help you. If you have a specialty running store, outdoors store, or even an REI maybe you could find try out some different socks and try them on before purchasing so you know they work with your ankles.

Another thought is maybe it’s not your walks causing the blisters but rather the shoes you wear for your regular daily activity. They may be causing a tender spot but the blisters aren’t appearing until you go for a walk.

Good luck, blisters are not fun!

You can try wearing 2 pairs of socks so that the friction is between the 2 layers of socks instead of your foot and the sock. 

I've also had good success using Body Glide on my feet and other parts of my body that may experience rubbing (e.g., bra straps). It looks like a container of deodorant and you simply rub it on problem areas of the body. 

AntiChafeLarge2.jpg

Edited by wintermom