Menu

Repairing library books

rose

We just seriously damaged our third library book in about 4 months. One of the three year olds left a lego book on the kitchen counter and another child accidentally bumped it into the sink. The binding didn't get wet but the outside edge of every page got wet. I'm going to try to repair it but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be out another $30. It irks me so much. I love library books because they expose my dc to so much more of the world then they would get to see otherwise but I just have so many little people right now that it's hard to have my eyes on everything at the same time. After this incident I decided to revoke the privilege of handling the library books alone. They will be put away and only brought out when someone big can read them. If another book is wrecked I think that I'm going to give up and we'll only take out books for the teenagers.

Do you repair books if you damage them or do you just fess up and pay the fine? Can you repair a water damaged book to good condition?

I don't try to repair books. I do fess up about damage when we return books. I have returned a good number of books with torn pages, pages that came out, slight water damage, etc...and I've never had to pay a fine.

That being said, we keep our library books in one box. They can be on the couch too. But they do not go to the kitchen or anywhere else theoretically. The 7, almost 6, and 4 yo are pretty darn good about following those guidelines.

• Like 2

We just bring it in as is and pay to replace if needed.

That being said, Lego books tend to be the worst condition books in the library. Some of them are no more than a pile of papers in between two pieces of banged-up cardboard, and we still end up on hold for them. It could have been dropped off a bridge and run over by a steam roller and pooped on by a passing bird... and it would be in better shape than after passing through the hands of a bunch of 7yo Lego maniacs.

• Like 4

We just bring it in as is and pay to replace if needed.

That being said, Lego books tend to be the worst condition books in the library. Some of them are no more than a pile of papers in between two pieces of banged-up cardboard, and we still end up on hold for them. It could have been dropped off a bridge and run over by a steam roller and pooped on by a passing bird... and it would be in better shape than after passing through the hands of a bunch of 7yo Lego maniacs.

Goodness yes! The cheap children’s paperbacks just generally don’t hold up.

I don’t repair, because our librarians prefer to do that. I will note any damage though. I have paid for a few books over the years that were loved a bit too much by a toddler, but children’s books are only $5 to replace at our library. (And we also donate money every year in our son’s name

to buy new books, so hopefully that helps mitigate any losses they’ve incurred because of us.)

My library is just soooo picky. I don't like taping pages myself but it really bothers me to have to pay full price plus an $8 handling fee for a page that's half ripped. I doubt that I'll feel good about returning this one as is if I manage to restore to a reasonable state I probably will. $30+ is pretty gross for a stupid lego book.

Our library gives us the option of replacing the book ourselves if we can get it at a cheaper cost than they can. I've replaced two books in the past two years by ordering off Amazon, though the book had to be the EXACT version being replaced.

We routinely have +/-100 books checked out of the library. We keep them in a special box in the living room (I keep books for school on the school bookshelf), and DO NOT allow them into the kitchen. They can go into the dining room during school time only. No one is allowed to touch a book while eating/drinking of any kind. Has worked fairly well here so far.

• Like 6

My library is just soooo picky. I don't like taping pages myself but it really bothers me to have to pay full price plus an $8 handling fee for a page that's half ripped. I doubt that I'll feel good about returning this one as is if I manage to restore to a reasonable state I probably will. $30+ is pretty gross for a stupid lego book.

Can you get the ISBN and replace the book yourself, or do they still charge the $8 fee?

I know my library has a small fee (like $3) for getting the book into the system, but it has always been cheaper (if not easier) for me to replace the book myself. I assume that you already know all the options, though. I've also had better luck if I show them the book and tell them I feel horrible than if we return it without noting the damage-- they seem to really enjoy punishing us for the latter but have been quite forgiving when it comes to the former.

Water damage is bad. I am the only person in my house who has ever done that, because it was a cookbook. A big, expensive, hardcover cookbook. Our library doesn't fine people for things like scribbles or tearing pages out (which I've taught my kids not to do) but only for things like blood all over the pages (and I have a kid who gets nosebleeds, so this has been expensive and embarrassing-- I don't always realize when it has happened).

• Like 1

We just seriously damaged our third library book in about 4 months. One of the three year olds left a lego book on the kitchen counter and another child accidentally bumped it into the sink. The binding didn't get wet but the outside edge of every page got wet. I'm going to try to repair it but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be out another $30. It irks me so much. I love library books because they expose my dc to so much more of the world then they would get to see otherwise but I just have so many little people right now that it's hard to have my eyes on everything at the same time. After this incident I decided to revoke the privilege of handling the library books alone. They will be put away and only brought out when someone big can read them. If another book is wrecked I think that I'm going to give up and we'll only take out books for the teenagers.

Do you repair books if you damage them or do you just fess up and pay the fine? Can you repair a water damaged book to good condition?

I had great success buying a gently used or like new replacement book on Amazon and bringing it back to the library with the damaged one. The librarian just slapped new labels on and was grateful for my effort. Just look up the book by ISBN.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

In our system, if you bring in a damaged book, most of the time, they do not charge the customer anything.....the only exception would be a brand new, hardcover book that was the first circulation—customer would be charged 1/2 the replacement cost.

ETA: water damage is pretty much not fixable.

Edited by HSmomof2
  • Like 1

If we damaged the book beyond what is normal wear and tear of the book, than yes I do pay for the new book.  Many times we have had pages fall out of a book because the bindings has been through so many hands.  I always hand those type of books directly to the staff and let them know the problem, but we have never been charged.  They repair or replace as needed.  Spilling a glass of water on a book - yes I pay to replace the book.

Be sure to ask your library first if they will accept a new copy that you order and bring in. In one library system, I was allowed to do that. Where we are now, nope. I bought an exact copy from Amazon after one of my kids damaged a book last year, and they would not accept it. I had to pay for a replacement through their system.

At our library if you damage a book in any way you have to pay the retail price of the book + $10 "lost book" fee + $5 S&H fee for restocking + whatever late fee there might be up to $5.  It gets a little bonkers when you have to pay a minimum of $15 over the retail price of a kids book.  Sometimes when we request a book and it arrives in terrible shape I have to wonder if they charged the last person all of that $$ and then didn't replace to book or if they just didn't charge the last person.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

I always repaired damage to the plastic covering. I know how the library does it - it's just clear tape for goodness sake. And it's not even a real part of the book, but when my kids were little we were always getting picture books where it was torn.

Anything else I leave.

• Like 1

As a little aside our library branch was remodeled several years ago & the parking lot design is particularly awful.  Both of my driving daughters have been hit in the library parking lot; one of whom was sitting in the car in a parking spot, with the car not running when she was hit by an elderly gentleman coming around the corner.  Anyway, Dh often comments that they should name the remodel after us because we pay so much in fines, except he refuses to have our name on the parking lot :)

Amber in SJ