Menu

Any ideas for what to do with old gift bags?

AFwife Claire

We will be moving to Ohio this summer, and that, combined with all the decluttering going on around the hive, is inspiring me to get moving!  

This morning I went through my huge collection of gift bags, saving some birthday, Christmas, and baby ones.  But now I have a huge pile of ones to get rid of.  Do they get recycled?  Just tossed in the trash?  Or anything else? 

They're so darned expensive--but we don't need a supply for the world, you know?!  In fact, it's a standing joke in our family that we reuse the same 3 birthday gift bags for each child's birthday!  And we don't do birthday parties for our kids, which does cut down on the amount of gift bags incoming, but still--we end up with a positive net flow each year.

So what should I do with them??  

I sometimes use them in applications where others would use baskets.

For instance, on a shelf in the linen closet holding hotel soaps.  Or with a food grade plastic bag inside, I might use one to serve breadsticks.  

Any extras i would donate to the hunger nonprofit downtown that has a big Christmas give away every year.  They would bundle things in them to give to the guests.

• Like 1

Well, this worked out!  I was talking to my good friend about all these extra gift bags, and she said she would love to have them.  She had just had to buy a baby one because she couldn't find an old one, and she remembered that at Christmas, she needed some ones too.  So she picked up the big bag of them when she came to my house for our co-op today.  Woo-hoo!  Thanks for all the great ideas!

• Like 8