Menu

Dr Hive :Could this be a mild flu? WWYD

Chris in VA

Dd and I spent the weekend at an audition (college music audition). I was mildly sick, which started the week before. Saturday night dd said her throat hurt. We drove home Sunday and she went to bed right away (so, sore throat, fatigue, and a slight cough and nasal symptoms). She stayed home today with a fever of 99.6 this am and 100 this afternoon.

So...flu? Maybe B? Virus of some sort?

Wwyd as far as going to the dr tomorrow?

Unless she has an underlying health issue that complicates things then I’d treat it with the usual OTC things at home. It sounds more like a cold or mild virus than the flu to me. Unless her fatigue is of the I’ve-been-run-over-by-a-train kind? Still, with those symptoms none of us would even think of going to the doctor right away.

• Like 3

Does she have any muscle, bone, or lymph node pain other than in her neck?  If so, I'd treat it like flu.

Otherwise, like a cold.

Do stay away from infants, elderly, or the immune compromised, just in case it is mild flu.  IE: we avoid places like church if we have the sniffles.

DD barely had any fever (99) yesterday but had taken herself to Urgent care since her throat was so painful,(and she did have strep a few weeks ago) and both lymph nodes huge. While the rapid test for strep was neg., they dd swap for an overnight test - she was to call me if positive. No call. She was told probably viral, and given a prescription for steriods to unswell those nodes 9already helping - I saw her today). If it was flu she would have looked and felt far worse than I saw. If your dd has the flu, there will be no question about it. That said, if she is already now fighting some other bug, she may be more apt to catch something more dire like flu - so keep her home until she feels better.

Edited by JFSinIL

DD barely had any fever (99) yesterday but had taken herself to Urgent care since her throat was so painful,(and she did have strep a few weeks ago) and both lymph nodes huge. While the rapid test for strep was neg., they dd swap for an overnight test - she was to call me if positive. No call. She was told probably viral, and given a prescription for steriods to unswell those nodes 9already helping - I saw her today). If it was flu she would have looked and felt far worse than I saw. If your dd has the flu, there will be no question about it. That said, if she is already now fighting some other bug, she may be more apt to catch something more dire like flu - so keep her home until she feels better.

I'm not suggesting that the illness OP described is or isn't flu, but I very much disagree that if an individual has the flu there will be no question about it. IRL I knew a child who died from influenza and the symptoms at the time parents sought medical attention weren't at all alarming (100ish fever, sore throat, and feeling puny like a typical cold). 

• Like 1

Flu B is primarily intestinal; and her symptoms are similar to circulating flu A strains.

If she doesn't want to go to the doc and get a flu test and Tamiflu, then my recommendation is for her to get sambucol/elderberry syrup or gummies, and start eating them like candy.

I hope she feels better very soon! :grouphug:

Edited by trulycrabby

I've had too many medical personnel tell me: it's not a fever unless it's over 101.    I very rarely run temps,  for me to run any temp is a huge deal.     I was hospitalized with pneumonia.  my temp was 100.9.

I have one who runs a temp at the slightest provocation.  for her, 102 is "normal" when she's sick.  and another who is utterly miserable at 100.

so - what does this kid usually do for temps?  how does she usually respond to viri?

has she had flu before? what were her symptoms like?  I *always* get chills with flu.  always.  (the first time I had chills not associated with flu - was mastitis).  didn't have them with pneumonia, did have them with the last kidney infection.

tbh: - if you're this concerned, - a nurse help line will tell you to come in.

I'm not suggesting that the illness OP described is or isn't flu, but I very much disagree that if an individual has the flu there will be no question about it. IRL I knew a child who died from influenza and the symptoms at the time parents sought medical attention weren't at all alarming (100ish fever, sore throat, and feeling puny like a typical cold). 

This - and it applies to many things.   there's a reason they say "practice" medicine, and "medicine is as much art as science".   

I had clear symptoms of a kidney infection (and a 102.8 temp), but my urine was clear.   the dr didn't believe me - but eventually pressed on my back - while telling me if I had a kidney infection my back would hurt. . . . while I screamed out "YES I KNOW!!!"  :glare:  (I don't go to that practice anymore - there's that word again.)

I felt like an idiot going to the ER - I had pneumonia and was admitted.  that's after they ruled out an asthma attack, because my 100.9 temp was "too low" - not a fever.   the albuterol made me worse, so they sent me for x-rays.

Dd and I spent the weekend at an audition (college music audition). I was mildly sick, which started the week before. Saturday night dd said her throat hurt. We drove home Sunday and she went to bed right away (so, sore throat, fatigue, and a slight cough and nasal symptoms). She stayed home today with a fever of 99.6 this am and 100 this afternoon.

So...flu? Maybe B? Virus of some sort?

Wwyd as far as going to the dr tomorrow?

Sounds like mono. But could be a bunch of different things. If she feels as if she's been hit by a truck, it's probably flu.

I've had too many medical personnel tell me: it's not a fever unless it's over 101. I very rarely run temps, for me to run any temp is a huge deal. I was hospitalized with pneumonia. my temp was 100.9.

I have one who runs a temp at the slightest provocation. for her, 102 is "normal" when she's sick. and another who is utterly miserable at 100.

so - what does this kid usually do for temps? how does she usually respond to viri?

has she had flu before? what were her symptoms like? I *always* get chills with flu. always. (the first time I had chills not associated with flu - was mastitis). didn't have them with pneumonia, did have them with the last kidney infection.

tbh: - if you're this concerned, - a nurse help line will tell you to come in.

100.4 and above is generally considered a possible infection. Some viruses have low-grade temperatures.

I suppose it could be a mild form of the flu, esp. if she's had the vaccine.  In any event, I would just treat at home unless it got significantly worse or she wasn't getting better soon.  As others have said, it could also be strep or mono.  Or some other viral thing, or just a bad cold.  Maybe tomorrow you'll have a better idea of which way it's going.

When we had the flu, it always went from zero to 102 degree+ fever and we don't typically run high fevers at our house.  I would just watch it and see personally.  I'd go get some elderberry and push fluids and rest.   If her throat is sore enough to be strep, I might get that checked.  Strep is usually not accompanied by other upper respiratory symptoms unless she's got something else going on. 

If she still has a fever in 3-4 days, if it spikes really high, or you suspect lung involvement then I would go in.

100.4 and above is generally considered a possible infection. Some viruses have low-grade temperatures.

as I said - that is what I've been told by multiple medical personal. (usually as I was being dismissed.)  take it up with them.

besides - despite popular - body temps are not the same.  (especially with thyroid or adrenal problems.)

as I said - that is what I've been told by multiple medical personal. (usually as I was being dismissed.) take it up with them.

besides - despite popular - body temps are not the same. (especially with thyroid or adrenal problems.)

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. It's what I was taught in nursing school and what our MDs go by.

Lots of people out sick around here. My older dd came home sick last Monday with sore throat, head ache, low fever, chills. She was in bed the rest of that day and Tuesday and then was feeling well enough to go to school Wednesday. It progressed to more regular cold symptoms--no more fever or chills but snot production and cough took over. Never went to doctor. Youngest just came home today with sore throat, ear ache, chills but no fever yet. I'm guessing it's the same thing. I expect she'll be at home tomorrow and then have symptoms of a bad cold. We won't go to the doctor unless there is something worrisome--fever that hangs around too long or goes and comes back, lung involvement, etc. Otherwise, stay in bed, drink lots of water, take as many Vitamin C throat lozenges as you want, use ibuprofen for pain relief or fever reduction as needed.

Thx, all. She stayed home from school yesterday, slept well, and the fever was gone (before bed). 

She felt she needed to go in today, and so I let her. She said she just had some symptoms but felt pretty ok. 

By the end of the day she was tired, but actually much better.

I am so glad! She has two more auditions next week, and I'm hoping she's not going to get really sick this winter!

• Like 3