Menu

Christmas Trees and Toddlers

My little guy is about 17mo, and loves to explore and get into everything, like all toddlers do. Any brilliant moms out there want to share their best ideas for baby proofing the Christmas tree? My first thought is to put it in the dining room, which baby doesn't have access to, but it would look so much nicer in the living room. :tongue_smilie: Anyone done this successfully with a young toddler, or is this a recipe for disaster?

When we had a toddler around we made sure that ALL of the ornaments were plastic and did not have parts that would choke.

We made a mistake one year when our second dd was a year old and put glass ornaments on the top part of the tree--where she could not reach. I went to the bathroom (next to the living room) and when I returned less than 2 minutes later the CAT had knocked a glass ornament down and the baby had plopped down on top of it. Baby was happy but I was horrified because she had blood pooring out of a deep cut in her calf--her foot was completely covered in blood...4 hours and several stitches later the glass ornaments came off!

We NEVER had a problem with the littles taking ornaments off of the tree--from the moment we set the tree up we told them 'pretty--do not touch' and then said 'No' if they did. I need to add that my dds were all VERY active littles...

I wrapped several large boxes in bright cheap-o Christmas wrap and placed them around the tree. It was like a festive baby gate. Guests always wanted to know what was in those big presents! Our Christmas pictures from the toddler days are all of the littlest one, whoever that was at the time, sitting on a giant "present."

If I remember correctly, I had to place heavy items in the boxes (like books) to keep them from being pushed easily.

ETA: Dh reminded me that I just stored a few boxes of books in the attic, still brightly wrapped, and just got them out year after year. He says he thinks we've still got one in the very back from Christmas two years ago! Wah....this is making me miss my babies! *sniff*

Cat

When my daughter was little, I just used soft sewn ornaments. They usually are inexpensive and I didn't mind if she took them off of the tree. They all had ribbons as hangers so there weren't any sharp hooks. Usually just a NO sufficed though. The ornaments were for when I couldn't be standing over her every minute.

I put a play yard around the tree last Christmas.

When Tigger was little I put the tree in a corner with a couch on one wall and a love seat on the other wall, so the tree was kind of boxed in.

When the cats were kittens we put the tree in the office which has French doors, so we could see it, but the cats could not get to it.

We decorated as usual no matter what ages the girls were. Other people that we visited were certainly not decorating their Christmas trees with my toddlers in mind. We always told them not to touch, just look at the pretty tree. With my second I may have put less breakables at the bottom. She was quite the stinker. She and the cat knocked over the tree 3 times in one night when she was about 15 months old. I think once the cat was trying to escape her and once the cat was trying to climb the tree. Hmm. I'm not sure that she actually touched the tree. :confused: Oh well, that was an eventful evening :tongue_smilie: Lost a couple of my favorite bulbs and one of her special ornaments.

If you are worried, put the less breakable ornaments on the bottom and then just say no like you would for anything else they are not supposed to touch in the house.

After reading the other posts, we were definitely not the norm. Interesting.

With my #1, we had a small table top tree that year, so it was easier to keep him off and away. The next few years (and a couple of more kids!), we simply didn't decorate the bottom part. If there wasn't anything interesting within reach, they didn't bother and lost interest mostly.

Oh, and eating glass bulbs shouldn't hurt your DC!! (I learned that the hard way...). My DD4 chewed and ate a whole light bulb when she was 1! I was horrified!! Nothing like looking in your baby's mouth to find finely chewing red glass!! I guess it had come out of a string when I was unpacking to decorate, and didn't make it into the vaccuum in time. I called the Dr. and the light people and all of that (I was worried about a coating in the bulb that could be toxic). They said the biggest worry is on the way DOWN. The kiddo can get mouth, throat and esophgial cuts that need attention. But once in the stomach, your body starts to coat the foreign body, and it should lose it's edges. By the time it's "exiting" the body, you might not even see it, since it should be so encased (and we didn't see it at all - weird!). Just FYI.... hee hee!

GL! - Stacey in MA

When mine were little, I tied bells to the bottom of the tree so that when they touched the tree, I would know it. Then I would just give them a firm, "No, thank you." which seemed to work well. We've never had a tree pulled down or ornaments eaten or anyone hurt in anyway.

One was in the family room where they were allowed. It was only 3 feet tall and all the ornaments were unbreakable. The other was in the living room, where they weren't allowed to go. It was the usual 6-7 feet tall and had all the other ornaments on it. The presents were under the big tree.

The little tree was the teaching tree. The one that if they got into wouldn't hurt them and get hurt by them, but it was where they were and when they got too close were told no. We still tend to do 2 tress but now it's a tradition.

and tied the tree to it (to make it more stable). The year my boys were babies we had a gate around the tree as well. They put everything in their mouths - and still managed to suck light bulbs out of the light strings even with the gate there. My dd never touched the tree. It really depends on the baby, some will listen and some won't. The people who think you can stop every kid from touching the tree don't have one of those kids.

and tied the tree to it (to make it more stable). The year my boys were babies we had a gate around the tree as well. They put everything in their mouths - and still managed to suck light bulbs out of the light strings even with the gate there. My dd never touched the tree. It really depends on the baby, some will listen and some won't. The people who think you can stop every kid from touching the tree don't have one of those kids.

:iagree:

With my first two - never a problem. Then we had my last darling little boy. He would have drove me nuts with it. So, for 2 years in a row, we decorated it with toys. We have clear plastic containers with little stuffed toys, happy meal type toys, beanie babies, etc. I was a little skeptical about it looking nice, but it really did in the end. The kids had a blast decorating and I was not stressed out he was breaking my best ornaments.

The people who think you can stop every kid from touching the tree don't have one of those kids.

Ain't it the truth! You couldn't have told me that with my first child, but after five I'm a believer!

These are all great ideas, but I'm LOVING the big wrapped boxes idea! Festive, yet practical. :hurray:

We've all got those ornaments that maybe we would rather leave in the box when we decorate the tree. You know the ones - they're old or unsightly, but you just can't part with them for sentimental reasons. Those are the ones you put up for a couple years. Also, have the kids string popcorn or make chains and make more of those lovely ornaments. Put certain ones up high and only ones you're willing to sacrifice down low. Also, I think when they've made them themselves, they're not nearly as intrigued by the decorations. I could be wrong about that.

I always have a grand vision for my tree in deep red and gold decorations, all very fragile and glowy. It's very beautiful in my mind, but it doesn't always turn out that way in real life. And that's OK, because I'm not shallow and concerned with materialistic appearances at all! ;)

Edited by BabyBre

When they were little, we mostly put non-breakable wood, metal etc ornaments near the bottom & the more fragile things higher up.

My kids were allowed to touch the ornaments & rearrange the tree. It looked different each day!

The tree goes up just before the 24th (used to be always the 24th but sometimes it gets too hectic to do the tree that day too) & stays up through Jan 12. They helped to decorate it when it went up though usually I'd get dh to do the lights ahead of time as that's just tedious.

Each year I took them to the shops & they got to pick out 'their' ornament. They have one from each year of their lives. Those esp. they move around & re-arrange.

We had wall to wall carpet in the room where the tree was so even if something glass fell down, it rarely broke. Some things broke. Oh well. Life goes on.

We used stuff that looks like fishing line - clear strong string - to tie the tree to a hook in the wall so it can't be tipped over.

I found that just like with most things, after a few hours of intense interest, the toddlers would toddle off to play with something else.

The tree is a fun, wonderful tradition & I didn't want to exclude my children from it or make it a battle so I just relaxed & (metaphorically) let go of the "perfect" tree.

I've been pondering this, too, for this year. The Snort is almost 15 months. We usually put up our tree at Thanksgiving and I'm just not sure I can take it this year. :lol: I do have lots of wood, soft, or otherwise unbreakable ornaments that I hang at the bottom, as we've had other small ones, not just mine, around for the holidays over the last several years. I guess we'll just give it a try and see how it goes. He's a pretty good kid; seems to listen fairly well. I think if I tried not to decorate the bottom of the tree he'd reach up for things, so we'll just go with the unbreakable things on the bottom and work on "no touch."

I have no way of putting the tree in a place he can't reach. We've had toddlers before and the tree survived.

I always have a grand vision for my tree in deep red and gold decorations, all very fragile and glowy. It's very beautiful in my mind, but it doesn't always turn out that way in real life. And that's OK, because I'm not shallow and concerned with materialistic appearances at all! ;)

:001_smile:That made me smile. I got so bothered by this a couple of years ago that I started putting up two trees. One in the family room which is the kids trees - handmade kids decorations, bubble lights, cartoon characters and the train running around it and the other is in the Living Room. My tree is decorated with red and gold and white lights and has all the presents under it. It's so pretty that I just sit in there with a cup of tea and enjoy a few moments of quiet where ever they can be found. So now I have the best of both worlds.

:001_smile:That made me smile. I got so bothered by this a couple of years ago that I started putting up two trees. One in the family room which is the kids trees - handmade kids decorations, bubble lights, cartoon characters and the train running around it and the other is in the Living Room. My tree is decorated with red and gold and white lights and has all the presents under it. It's so pretty that I just sit in there with a cup of tea and enjoy a few moments of quiet where ever they can be found. So now I have the best of both worlds.

We do the same thing. :001_smile: So much of our house is completely taken over by the children, their art work, their toys, etc.--which I absolutely love and don't want to change. But during Advent and Christmas it's my guilty pleasure to sit in the living room with all the lights off, my elegant tree glowing in red and gold, drinking Baley's Irish Creme, and listening to my favorite Christmas carols on the stereo. My dh and I do this every night after the kids go to bed, and it's become an essential part of the Christmas season for us. The kids' tree is in the school room, and they have complete freedom to do whatever they want with it. But I really love having this little oasis, and it's why I'm looking for solutions to my dilemma.

My parents fondly recall the year they put the tree in the playpen. They figured it was either that or keep my sister in the playpen for a month!

Along those lines, when DD was little the tree was in the supergate a/k/a 'the baby corral'. It worked for us although we never left her alone in the room just in case....

We put the ornaments that don't break or I don't care about on the bottom and the good ones on top. We have a fake tree that is near impossible to knock over. I tell the children (yes my 6 and 4 yr old need to be reminded too still grrrrrr) not to touch after it is decorated. If I find them rearranging the ornaments, which ever ornament is the offender gets put up high out of reach. Sometimes I have a bare tree half way down but some years there is a smattering of ornaments on the bottom too- they are learning.