Menu

Red Hat Society

Night Elf

My mother in law was in it. It seemed her group was full of really old people that had one foot in the grave. It got depressing after a while because she was always going to funerals and she isn't that old! I don't know if that is typical or not though. 

I personally never really looked into it because I am eligible for Daughters of American Revolution and that seemed better... or maybe I just liked Gilmore Girls.  :lol:

• Like 1

I used to work with a woman who was in one.  She did NOT have a foot in the grave and loved hers.  They did all sorts of things together.  She was only in her 60s and married to a man who was a good 10 years younger than she was, so she didn't really fit the "doddering old lady" stereotype.

• Like 1

There is one in my town (if not several groups).  We see them out for lunch/dinner on occasion. They always look like they are having a great time. 

If you can find out their schedule maybe you can do a drive by and see what age they are before you put yourself though the stress of meeting up.  The group I see in our area, all appear 60yo and older, but I suspect there are similar younger groups out there too.

I hope you try it out!  It is so hard to meet people as adults and we really do have to put ourselves out there to get started making new friends.

• Like 1

My mom belonged to two groups and loved it. Wide variety of ages and interests. I think there was also a third group that invited my mom (she really was a fun old lady) but they were my age and did activities that my mom knew she couldn't keep up with. I would go for it.

I considered it first a couple of years ago but would have had to wear a pink hat and I figured I'd be the youngest one there. Now I qualify for the red hat.

I just wish it wasn't so hard to join things!! Even more stuff outside my comfort zone.

I can't see events unless I'm a member on the website.

The people I've known who are members are mostly great.

I have a literary objection to the strict rules about conformity in dress inspired by a poem celebrating non-conformity in dress.

Not to mention that the whole message of the original poem is about not waiting until you have the "excuse" of old age to wear those red hats, but then the group has age restrictions about who is allowed to join and what color hats they wear.

I am sure they are lovely people, but it has always seemed to me they are missing the point of the poem.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 3

I'm not aware of a group in my own area, but I've run across groups on occasion while we've been out on road trips, usually in obscure museums or other roadside attractions.   Seems like a fun way to connect with new people.

re missing the point of the poem

The people I've known who are members are mostly great.

I have a literary objection to the strict rules about conformity in dress inspired by a poem celebrating non-conformity in dress.

:laugh:

Aw... there's a pretty wide range within the world of red hats!  The last group I ran into -- at the American Sign Museum outside Cincinnati (which, BTW, awesome), the headgear ranged from Reds caps through jaunty berets and Minnie Mouse ears to formal English get-ups with feathers and lace flounce veils.

My mom was a member. Her group had a lot of fun. I have been thinking about joining but there isn't an active chapter by me and I don't have the desire to start one.

I have Red Hat speciality fabric that I bought for a project for my mom that never happened. It’s cute and matches one of my current projects so I had it with me at my Patchwork Club in England for a demonstration. Everyone wants me to start a red hat group......most already knew about the club.

My mom had several red hats including some basic knit hats for outdoor activities. She also had a purple sweatsuit and coat. Not always formal and compared to most she took her red and purple attire seriously. Supposed to be fun.

When my mom worked at a winery a red hat society came to visit.

They took the idea of the poem seriously. You had some people in jeans and tshirts, no hats and no red and purple. then you might have someone wearing an outfit that’s Dr. Quinn Medicine woman might wear. Then you might have someone in a obsiouly hand made outfit. Then someone might be wearing a tutu and superhero cap. Very much of a feel of a toddler saying, “look mommy, I got dressed all by myselfâ€.