Menu

Anyone else in the bomb cyclone?

Alessandra

Good grief! I went outside briefly at 8 am and wondered what tha fuss was about, light snow. Then, around 9 am, the snow got heavier and slanted. Now the snow is even heavier -- though not white-put blizzard -- but the wind is whipping the falling snow in one direction, then in the opposite direction, straight up, in circles, in intersecting, traffic jam like swirls. The snow is not exceptionally heavy, but it is out of control!

What's it like where you are?

I'm on the edge of it so things can go either way. Right now it's lightly snowing. It is supposed to do that all day and intensify later, but being on the edge it can go either way to be nothing or like what you describe.

We were sort of borderline as of yesterday. Now we are in it, although I imagine it is/will be worse for many.

• Like 1

Our snow looks to be mostly done, just some flurries at this point, but the wind appears to be constant. I've not ventured outside because I want to reserved all the warmth I can muster.

We have a snow day from school today, so trying to enjoy the family time.

• Like 1

We're supposed to be on the edge, but it's pretty ugly out there!

Because we technically "should have" been on the safe edge of Sandy, which managed to destroy our roof anyway, I am more than a bit nervous.

Hoping it will be ok for you this time. We were in Sandy, but spared damage, though there was flooding nearby.

This time, coastal NJ was supposed to get the brunt of the storm, but it seems to be getting more widespread. When NYC schools close, you know it's bad, lol.

We are. It’s an impressive amount of snow. It’s snowing heavy, sideways, sometimes swirling. My younger two are outside playing in it. DH took the day off almost a week ago to make up for all the hours he worked during the holidays so we all get to be home together. I’m glad he doesn’t have to try to get to work this afternoon!

15 inches of snow and 50mph winds expected here, combined with massive sea swells. The bay is frozen over but with astronomically high tides plus the sea surge and winds...it's going to be a mess on the coast.

I bought an extra 5 gallon gas tank (and filled it lol) yesterday in case we lose power. They expect we will, which is rare for us. Blizzards are unpredictable though, so we'll see what comes of it. We are as ready as we can be.

We are on the coast.  The wind is howling.  We can't see much of what it is doing outside and it is blowing too hard to tell how much snow we have gotten.  Some places are blown bare.  The cove froze over last week and storm surge and ice are not a good combination.  We have a winter's worth of wood in the driveway and really simple, drainable plumbing, so we aren't too worried about our house, but other clan members, especially the older, fragiler ones, are pretty vulnerable. We planted a son at my mother's for the duration of the storm.  He may not be able to do much about frozen pipes, but at least if a door blows open (it has happened) he can get it shut again.

Nan

• Like 3

Can anyone give an update on the Washington DC/Virginia area? Our kids are flying back there tomorrow.

It's fine here.  We were in Williamsburg last night, at Great Wolf Lodge, and we drove back up to northern VA (Loudoun County) this afternoon.  We made it in less than 3 hours, with no troubles at all.  No snow or slush on any main roads, and not much on the ground either.

It was fun to be at Great Wolf Lodge last night, all relaxed in front of the fireplace, while our older kids played games in friends' rooms, and our younger kids slept, watching the snow fall!  Very pretty!  We were a bit worried about getting back today, but I'm glad we just waited until 2:00 to leave, as was our plan.  Worked out fine, since it gave the plows time to get out and clear the roads.  There was so much wind that nothing really piled up big there--the snow was so powdery.

• Like 1

It's fine here.  We were in Williamsburg last night, at Great Wolf Lodge, and we drove back up to northern VA (Loudoun County) this afternoon.  We made it in less than 3 hours, with no troubles at all.  No snow or slush on any main roads, and not much on the ground either.

It was fun to be at Great Wolf Lodge last night, all relaxed in front of the fireplace, while our older kids played games in friends' rooms, and our younger kids slept, watching the snow fall!  Very pretty!  We were a bit worried about getting back today, but I'm glad we just waited until 2:00 to leave, as was our plan.  Worked out fine, since it gave the plows time to get out and clear the roads.  There was so much wind that nothing really piled up big there--the snow was so powdery.

Thanks, that's encouraging!

• Like 1

My freshman is back on campus. He estimates they got a foot of snow today. He is used to it, but doesn't like it. Oldest found out today that a pipe burst in his house, and the city has deemed the house inhabitable. I feel bad for the kids who have arrived back. The college is closed due to the blizzard and they need to find a place to crash.

We just got in from shoveling out two cars. It's supposed to go down to single digits plus negative wind chill factor by tomorrow morning, and we have to leave by 7am tmorrow morning, so wanted to get it done tonight for sure. We're not going to have a break from the frigid temps and high winds till Tuesday.

I just peeked outside and I'm not exactly sure how we are going to get out of any of our doors. And it's still coming down and drifting.

We'll get a workout in tomorrow with all the shovelling, that's for sure!

Wind blew one of ours clear.  The other one, we are careful to keep opening before it gets so deep we'll endanger the storm door pushing it out of the way.  Nothing like a few winters ago, though.  Lots of flooding in our area.  People parked their cars in lots that flooded when the parking ban took effect.  Fortunately, the one my son chose didn't flood.  Close though.  And oldest, who was at his girlfriend's for the storm, was told by the police to move her car because the wharf where she lives was flooding in the storm surge.  They moved it to high ground and then trekked back carrying the dog.  They lost power for a bit, too, but not long enough for the pipes to freeze.  Everyone is worried about their docks.

Nan

• Like 1

Good grief! I went outside briefly at 8 am and wondered what tha fuss was about, light snow. Then, around 9 am, the snow got heavier and slanted. Now the snow is even heavier -- though not white-put blizzard -- but the wind is whipping the falling snow in one direction, then in the opposite direction, straight up, in circles, in intersecting, traffic jam like swirls. The snow is not exceptionally heavy, but it is out of control!

What's it like where you are?

I'm right there with you.  Can barely see outside.  We already had 14" at 3:30 and it's still snowing.  Winds could get up to 50MPH. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

I'm right there with you. Can barely see outside. We already had 14" at 3:30 and it's still snowing. Winds could get up to 50MPH. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

You are much worse off then we are. Snow ended mid afternoon. I'd say about 8". Thankfully, we were able get out and do multiple clearings of the driveway, about 2" each time. People on the NJ shore, LI, and New England had it much worse.

I hope you'll be ok and that your power will stay on.

I am relieved that there has not been ice.

Getting from Charlotte to Savannah yesterday was 7 full hours of driving.  UGH.  It is supposed to take 4, max.

There is snow and ice in Savannah.  Lots of things closed.

Savannah has TWO ice/salt trucks.  TWO.  For the entire city.  This hasn't happened in over 30 years, so they just don't have the resources to deal with it.

Edited by DawnM

It didn't end up bad here at all for all the bluster. Around a foot of snow, so nothing unusual. I drove DS to school today and the roads are totally clear (for here) and everything looks normal. It's lovely to have a reprieve from the super cold, but we'll be back to single digits for a couple days again beginning tomorrow.

There were very, very few power outages in the state, which makes my DH's job much easier. :)

Well, this morning I woke up to the sound of DH cleaning the driveway with our 45HP tractor.  We got about 18" of snow.  The wind was ferocious last night and created huge drifts.  DH couldn't use our 5' snowblower on them. He had to break them down first; then use the snowblower. 

I was really surprised that we didn't lose power.  We were ready if it happened, as we installed a water pump in our basement a few years ago and we have a generator.

The temp stayed at about -8 today.  Public school was actually cancelled due to the severe wind which caused massive white-outs.  Otherwise, our roads were fine.  Crews were out all night using their huge V-plows and wings.

About the only time our public schools are closed is when the wind is such that white-outs are a real danger.