Menu

Visiting Chicago

GailV

It has been literally decades since I've been to Chicago other than slogging through O'Hare to change planes.

Dd needs to be there for several days (probably Sunday - Thursday) in February to attend auditions for several schools.  The auditions are located at or near the Palmer House.

We need to get there from St. Louis -- probably drive, so will have a car with us.  From there, I was thinking the ideal situation might be to stay in a hotel relatively near where the auditions are (for us, "relatively near" is within a mile), then walk or take public transport to everything we need.  The car could be parked somewhere with no in-out privileges. 

(We are open to the idea of flying up, too.  I don't trust Amtrak to absolutely positively get us there when we need to be there, but you are welcome to convince me otherwise.  Same distrust of buses.)

But, is that idea of driving to and staying in the area dumb? Reasons I think it might be: 

We usually try to use hotel points to book our stay, and the closest IHG property takes an enormous amount of points per night (like, more than the one we stayed at in Paris, which was a very nice hotel).  Would AirBnB be a decent choice in Chicago?

Is parking the car going to end up costing more than the hotel?  Is it possible to park it in a suburb in a guarded lot for the week, and take a train in to the hotel to set up "camp" for our stay?  I guess I'm envisioning something like airport parking, but without having to actually deal with going to the airport.

Is walking that much in Chicago in February actually a thing sane people do?  Are the sidewalks cleared of snow, or covered in salt?  Is the wind going to knock us down?  If walking doesn't work, is public transport actually good enough to use (in St Louis it isn't)?

Also,  I'm wondering if it might be better to stay in the western suburbs, and go in to town in the mornings -- auditions start at 8am, so right smack during rush hour, which could easily be horrifying for a stressed-out kid.  Would we drive in and park somewhere for the day? Take public transport in? 

Also, fun question -- while dd is busy with auditions, what am I going to do in Chicago in February?  

Edited by GailV

I haven't lived near Chicago for a long time, but I know the traffic is bad. I think staying at a nice hotel near the audition will be the best thing for you. The city is beautiful in the winter. There could be a ton of lake effect snow. They clear pretty well but if it's overnight you could be stuck. I would highly recommend the museums especially the Art Institute of Chicago and the Field Museum of Natural History. I still remember my parents taking me there as a small child. Really world-class! 

• Like 3

We had great luck using the app Spothero to find parking in NYC during a three-day visit. We parked the car and left it for the whole time at a fraction of the cost.

I wholly agree with your sentiments about Amtrak.

That reminds me -- let me know any apps that would be helpful.

Is Citymapper decent for Chicago?  We used it in Paris, London, and NYC, and found it very helpful.  Now that I'm home in St Louis is seems permanently stuck on NYC for some reason, but I assume it exists for Chicago.

Do NOT take the Amtrak. Do not let anyone convince you to take the Amtrak. DH did the STL to Chicago route last spring and was...eight hours late? Maybe more? It was awful, and he swears he will never take a train again.

From a Chicago native who now lives in the STL area, prepare to be blown away by how awesome public transport is, especially compared to back home. If you're downtown, it will most likely be cold and windy, but aside from a major weather event, I think you can expect sidewalks to be in good condition...there are always people walking downtown, in all kinds of weather, all day long.

The museums are amazing. I could spend all day in any one of them. The Art Institute is particularly nice because it's right there downtown...the other big museums aren't quite as central, although they're not terrible to get to, either.

If you have the opportunity, you should check out the Tribune Tower if you never have. It has pieces of landmarks from all over the world affixed to its exterior walls, and there's something...humbling, I guess, about seeing them all there together.

• Like 3

Airbnb could be a good choice. Will your daughter be taking the train or bus by herself? If it’s snowy, the cta train will move faster than the buses, so situating yourselves near a train stop would be a good idea.

Here are two Airbnb’s in the Gold Coast area:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22156370?location=Chicago%2060611&checkin=&checkout=&adults=1&children=0&infants=0

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/19825611?location=Chicago%2060611&checkin=&checkout=&adults=1&children=0&infants=0

Another good area for you might be River North, maybe in the funky Marina Towers, the corncob buildings at 300 N. State which have the House of Blues and Tortoise Club (jazz) below. Andy’s Jazz is nearby as well.

The Loop where your daughter will be auditioning has changed for the better. Much safer and more to do, so you could try there as well. Printers Row neighborhood might be good. I don’t know much about those areas though.

The Embassy Suites on State Street often has special deals in February unless a convention is in town. Boutique hotels might be worth checking out. There’s one near me called Hotel Indigo. I don’t think it’s too pricey and it’s close to the Clark and Division cta red line train stop as well as the 22 and 36 buses — the Clark and Broadway buses. The 151 buses are a few more blocks away but they go down Michigan. There are other buses as well.

SpotHero would be good to use for parking.

Fun things to do: Chicago Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier, Art Institute, Museum of Contemporary Art (near Water Tower Place). The new Aire bath house in River West — for a unique R&R experience. Restaurants all over. Music venues. Exhibits. It just depends what you like and where you are.

Edited by MBM
  • Like 1

The Lincoln Park Conservatory can be beautiful in winter (and very central).

Ice skating on the ribbon at Millennium Park if you like being outside.

I'd stay downtown. Parking Panda is another good parking app. 

Oriental Institute is a bit of a trek from downtown, but doable with Lyft/Uber or Metra+short walk. Not the British Museum by any means, but a really neat collection of near east historical objects.

Emily

• Like 3

It has been literally decades since I've been to Chicago other than slogging through O'Hare to change planes.

Dd needs to be there for several days (probably Sunday - Thursday) in February to attend auditions for several schools. The auditions are located at or near the Palmer House.

We need to get there from St. Louis -- probably drive, so will have a car with us. From there, I was thinking the ideal situation might be to stay in a hotel relatively near where the auditions are (for us, "relatively near" is within a mile), then walk or take public transport to everything we need. The car could be parked somewhere with no in-out privileges.

Good plan.

(We are open to the idea of flying up, too. I don't trust Amtrak to absolutely positively get us there when we need to be there, but you are welcome to convince me otherwise. Same distrust of buses.)

But, is that idea of driving to and staying in the area dumb? Reasons I think it might be:

We usually try to use hotel points to book our stay, and the closest IHG property takes an enormous amount of points per night (like, more than the one we stayed at in Paris, which was a very nice hotel). Would AirBnB be a decent choice in Chicago?

Lots of Air B&B options well worth looking into.

Is parking the car going to end up costing more than the hotel? Is it possible to park it in a suburb in a guarded lot for the week, and take a train in to the hotel to set up "camp" for our stay? I guess I'm envisioning something like airport parking, but without having to actually deal with going to the airport.

The car will not cost more than the hotel because both are costly downtown. It's totally possible to dump your car in the suburbs. Check into airport parking near O'Hare and then take the blue line el downtown. There are probably other options as well.

Is walking that much in Chicago in February actually a thing sane people do? Are the sidewalks cleared of snow, or covered in salt? Is the wind going to knock us down? If walking doesn't work, is public transport actually good enough to use (in St Louis it isn't)?

I looooooooove Chicago's public transportation options. It's completely fine to rely on public transportation, especially the el. The sidewalks will be clear unless there is a massive weather event. There will be some salt but it's not bad. I actually found it much harder to walk around Quebec City (Canada) because of the hills and lack of shoveling. Chicago is pretty proactive in clearing the business district. It will likely be cold, so bundle up thoroughly and be prepared to supplement public transportation with cab rides if it's a bitter day. When I lived in the city, I went all over in all kinds of weather, with my kids. It's totally do-able.

Also, I'm wondering if it might be better to stay in the western suburbs, and go in to town in the mornings -- auditions start at 8am, so right smack during rush hour, which could easily be horrifying for a stressed-out kid. Would we drive in and park somewhere for the day? Take public transport in?

Also totally do-able. Definitely take public transportation in--it's way nicer than coping with traffic and parking. The Metra lines are really nice, but the el is a great option as well. My favorite suburb is Oak Park because it feels really jet set and city-ish, but there are other options on the Metra lines. The one hotel in Oak Park that is two blocks from the el was undergoing renovations at one point, but I think they might be done?? It's called The Write Inn, and there is another one called the Carleton. I have never stayed in either one. I think there are Air B&B options and traditional B&B options in Oak Park as well. Oak Park is walkable and drivable, but the driving is definitely more congested than some of the suburbs further out from the city. Other nice suburbs that are further out are Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, St. Charles, Geneva, Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect. St. Charles and Geneva are on the Fox River and quite pretty.

Also, fun question -- while dd is busy with auditions, what am I going to do in Chicago in February?

Chicago Shakespeare Theater--shows both Shakespeare and various other. Fun plays at Royal St. George or arty, weird plays at Steppenwolf. Blue Man Group. ComedySportz. The Art Institute. Shedd Aquarium. Chicago river tours. (We like the ones that swing out to the lake, but those are probably colder so you could take the tour that goes in towards the city.) Chinatown--make sure to eat dim sum lunch at The Phoenix. Check the Chicago website for a line-up of free events, and you can check Chicago Parent magazine for options throughout the metro area. Willis Tower--definitely reserve tickets well ahead of time or you will wait literally hours and hours to get in. OR eat dessert at The Signature Room on the 95th in the Hancock Building for the same view.

Chicago native here. :)

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2

The Cheesecake Factory is in the lower level of the Hancock. Nothing rotates in the building except the water in the toilets when it’s windy!

There is now a Benihana in the lower level which replaced L’Appetito. The Hancock bar is a pretty place to go on a clear evening. Under 21s are allowed.

• Like 1

The Cheesecake Factory is in the lower level of the Hancock. Nothing rotates in the building except the water in the toilets when it’s windy!

There is now a Benihana in the lower level which replaced L’Appetito. The Hancock bar is a pretty place to go on a clear evening. Under 21s are allowed.

Hmmm

I was wrong about the rotation, so thanks for correcting me. But I did double check with dd—she definitely had dessert on one of the upper floors at the Hancock building. The friends who took her there were quite gleeful about how easy it is to simply have dessert while admiring the view rather than coping with the crowds at the Willis tower.

I just looked at BestParking and, if I'm understanding how it works, I can reserve a parking spot for the dates I want for less than $150 total.  No re-entry, but that shouldn't matter.

So, woohoo, the car has a place to stay!  Onward to figure out where we ourselves can stay!

Hmmm

I was wrong about the rotation, so thanks for correcting me. But I did double check with dd—she definitely had dessert on one of the upper floors at the Hancock building. The friends who took her there were quite gleeful about how easy it is to simply have dessert while admiring the view rather than coping with the crowds at the Willis tower.

Looks like dd and I were thinking about The Signature Room on the 95th. It’s fancy-schmancy. When dd went they just ordered dessert. The view is gorgeous and it is a more relaxed way to see the city than the Willis Tower.

Is that a good way to get tickets?  Are they less $?

Because you can get tickets on the site of the theater 

If you really want to go, it is a very bad way to get tickets, because only a very small percentage of lottery entries win, and lottery winners only get to buy 2 tickets.

The upside is that lottery winners only pay $10 for the tickets.  Anywhere else is going to be .... somewhat more expensive.

• Like 2

Yes, the Signature Room is the restaurant on the 95th floor. The Signature Room is on the 96th floor. Both are pricey but have great views. I haven’t been to the bar in awhile but you used to be able to sit where you like and could walk around checking out the views.

I was just at the Hancock buying Christmas stamps in the lower level. LOL

Another idea for something to do--Chicago Architecture Foundation tours.  I've been on a couple, and have found them really interesting.  They have some inside ones, including this one that could be fun: https://www.architecture.org/experience-caf/tours/detail/chicago-pedway/

I used to commute downtown, and had to walk about 30 mins getting to/from the El.  Dress warmly if you walk because it can be windy!--wear hat, scarf. I did wear boots and changed to (dress) shoes when I got to work.  Sidewalks were always clear.

If you stay downtown, the idea of parking your car somewhere with SpotHero or whatever, and not moving it is a good one.  If you stay out in the burbs, the Metra train is very reliable--I would not drive in at rush hour.  Metra is nicer and more predicatable than the el. There are apps now, (I think) for CTA (el and bus) that help with routes, time til next bus/train etc.   Here's lots of info: https://www.choosechicago.com/plan-your-trip/transportation/getting-around-chicago/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As an update, this trip turned out so well!  Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

We ended up doing it quite differently -- we found a Loop hotel that allowed an 18yo to check in, we drove her up and dropped her off (found on-street parking since it was Superbowl Sunday), she checked in and stayed by herself, then flew home Thursday evening right before the snow hit (ticket had been purchased weeks ago).

The public transportation in Chicago got a huge thumbs up!  Very easy to use.

As expected, the cold and wind were way more than she was used to.  She quickly learned that "I don't want to put on a hat because it might mess up my hair for my interview" was not as valid an opinion as "I want a hat so my ears don't get frostbite and I miss my interview because I need medical attention".  She didn't do that many tourist-type things because it was too cold to spend much time walking around sightseeing, so that's a shame.  She did get to spend some time on a top floor of the West Chicago Lakeshore hotel -- she said the view of the lake and the skyline was beautiful.

Anyway, thanks again to the Well Trained Travel Agents for talking me through everything, and helping us launch another student a little further into adulthood.

• Like 6

We are going to Chicago to visit schools soon. How safe is transit at night? Is it easy to Uber/Lyft? We are definitely trying for the Hamilton lottery.

When I lived there, I used public transport in the evening. Obviously some neighborhoods are safer than others. I lived there for fourteen years and took the el all over, all the time, and I did not have problems. If I were visiting Chicago now, I would gladly use public transportation or Uber/Lyft.

• Like 2

As an update, this trip turned out so well! Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

We ended up doing it quite differently -- we found a Loop hotel that allowed an 18yo to check in, we drove her up and dropped her off (found on-street parking since it was Superbowl Sunday), she checked in and stayed by herself, then flew home Thursday evening right before the snow hit (ticket had been purchased weeks ago).

The public transportation in Chicago got a huge thumbs up! Very easy to use.

As expected, the cold and wind were way more than she was used to. She quickly learned that "I don't want to put on a hat because it might mess up my hair for my interview" was not as valid an opinion as "I want a hat so my ears don't get frostbite and I miss my interview because I need medical attention". She didn't do that many tourist-type things because it was too cold to spend much time walking around sightseeing, so that's a shame. She did get to spend some time on a top floor of the West Chicago Lakeshore hotel -- she said the view of the lake and the skyline was beautiful.

Anyway, thanks again to the Well Trained Travel Agents for talking me through everything, and helping us launch another student a little further into adulthood.

I’m glad she had a safe trip! How did the auditions go?

We are going to Chicago to visit schools soon. How safe is transit at night? Is it easy to Uber/Lyft? We are definitely trying for the Hamilton lottery.

Transit is safe at night(as long as you aren't in a sketchy neighborhood.)DD has taken the El many times and we take the bus.  

Uber/Lyft is extremely common and easy.

Hamilton Lottery is through the vendor(not the "show up" type) You have to enter the day before.  We tried at least 3 times a week for almost a year.  I gave in and bought tickets.  As far as I can tell, it's the least expensive city to see the show in.  

In the theatre district, there are several theatres that you can show up for stand-by tickets.  Depends on what is showing.

• Like 1

I’m glad she had a safe trip! How did the auditions go?

She thought they went fine.  Overall she thought that Unifieds were mayhem and involved way too many people stuck in too small of spaces, but most her individual interactions with auditors and other auditioners were good.

She has ruled out one school based on her impressions of their process, so I guess that's good, especially considering they were a financial stretch even with the merit aid they'd already awarded her.

It will be a few weeks before she hears anything.  A couple of them might not have results until April 1, so, lots of waiting around now.

• Like 1

She didn't try Uber/Lyft.

I've read on TripAdvisor that transit is fine at night.  Let's hope the others chime in to tell us.

Are you looking at DePaul?  That was one on our list.

Yes, DePaul!  And Roosevelt, Northwestern, U of Chicago.  :)  And we're hitting UW Madison on the way.  My kid is looking at music and/or possibly theater programs.  He's a junior.  I'm more excited for the trip than him. 

• Like 1

DePaul's theater building is gorgeous. Seriously.  It's about 5 years old.  You'll want to sign up for classes when you see it. Dd isn't really interested in going to school in Chicago, but I sort of want her to go there so I can live vicariously through her.

• Like 1

DePaul's theater building is gorgeous. Seriously.  It's about 5 years old.  You'll want to sign up for classes when you see it. Dd isn't really interested in going to school in Chicago, but I sort of want her to go there so I can live vicariously through her.

:lol:   I hear you!  My junior right now is saying he JUST wants to go to school in a big city and there's so many great programs for him that aren't too.  I'd love to have an excuse to visit one of the big cities regularly and live vicariously though! 

• Like 1

We stayed in downtown Chicago over Christmas three years ago in a hotel in a touristy area with free parking. Google Chicago hotels with free parking, and a tripadvisor page will pop up. The rates were really reasonable three years ago, and we were able to walk lots of places from that home base.

• Like 1

We stayed in downtown Chicago over Christmas three years ago in a hotel in a touristy area with free parking. Google Chicago hotels with free parking, and a tripadvisor page will pop up. The rates were really reasonable three years ago, and we were able to walk lots of places from that home base.

I did that and I couldn't find anywhere with free parking!  Darn!  We are staying in Oak Park on the L line.  I really would have preferred to stay downtown. 

We live in Chicago/Evanston. Oak Park has a cool vibe and it’s pretty easy to get into the city from there.

Safety depends on the locations of stations and stops and if you’re walking around those areas. Uber and Lyft are all over. The other night we were in Lincoln Park waiting for the 22 or 36 bus and probably 75% of the cars on Clark were Uber/Lyft.

Im not sure where you’re coming from, but I know that Spirit Airlines has super cheap flights to Chicago daily. We’re near Baltimore and DH has done day trips to Chicago this way. Granted, it’s a loooong day, but that’s how frequent the flights are. He just Uber’s around the city, so no parking fees.