Menu

Dumb poll of the day: Do you know who the Mitford sisters are?

rose

Do you know who the Mitford sisters are?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know who the Mitford sisters are?

Given the success that Nancy and Jessica had as authors, I’m surprised that the Mitford sisters are not more well known on this board.

I agree!

"The Pursuit of Love / Love in a Cold Climate" is a book I've read several times since high school, and there's a pretty good dramatisation with (I think) Rosamund Pike. And even in high school (1970s!) I had heard of "The American Way of Death." I have several Nancy Mitford books on my shelf waiting to be read.

• Like 2

Yes, I'd heard of them. I just read Christmas Pudding by Nancy.  I have known of the family name for a long time, maybe, like Laura in CA, in high school (also in the 70s).  But only just started reading them.  I had a vague remembrance of the Nazi connection but I didn't remember that sister's name.  Yesterday, if you'd asked me if I'd heard of Unity Mitford, I'd have said no.  Just Nancy and Jessica.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

I think the Mitfords are a weird and fascinating family. Hons and Rebels was the first book I read, then Nancy Mitfords novels and biographies. At one place I worked, a friend read parts of The American Way of Death at lunch; I moved to another room, ugh.

I wouldn't worry too much about Unity as a name. But, with unusual names, there is a chance that people will recall a famous namesake. I saw a documentary on the Mitfords, but if a tv series were made (as pp suggested), and it proved to be a hit, you might be in trouble, lol, as more people would associate the name with Hitler.

• Like 1

Not only that, people in the know, and somehow I bet the Neo Nazi, white supremacists, etc. are in the know, would think your family is sympathetic to their cause.  Again, No.

Thats a good thought... We're pretty extreme in many things. If you all knew me in real life you'd probably think that I was crazy (if you don't already).

See and I don’t think anyone would bat an eye at Unity, that’s not a name that throws up any flags for me at all.

I suspect that you're probably in line with the majority but having 1 in 100 or even 200 people wonder why we named our child after a Hitler fan makes me a little uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Never heard of them, and I looked through the first 10 pages of Google results for unity and did not come across them either (I do know that Google goes by past preferences though, so other people might get different results, but still... it's not like most people will google Unity and get that as the first result). I think it'd be rare for someone to think that you must have named the kid after her (unlike if you named the kid Adolf... it's still going to be a while before that name is okay). I think most people would assume you're naming the kid after the idea of 'unity'. Heck, I'd probably think that it was inspired by the faction names in Divergent (obviously, it isn't one of the faction names, but it's similar).

Of course, it's your decision, but 1 out of 100 or 1 out of 200 people wouldn't deter me. Now, if it was 1 out of 5 people, then yeah... I probably wouldn't do it. 

And, if your last name is Mitford or something pretty similar-sounding, I wouldn't do it either. 

• Like 1

1 out of 100 or 1 out of 200 people wouldn't deter me.

Basically, I think more than 1 in 100 people are going to think something dumb anyway, which is why I wouldn't care. I'm sure plenty of people (probably at least 1 in 5) think we spell Broccoli's name weird, or that Celery's name is too old-fashioned, or wonder why their full names are from a certain country, or all of the above. On the one hand, I think you'd get used to the name, but on the other hand, if you end up being self-conscious the whole time, then it's not a good name. Plus, it doesn't have good nicknames... U? Uni? Nit? Nope. 

• Like 1

I thought your last name was Mitford or very close. If it isn't, not really a big deal except just the word Unity makes me think of the denomination or affiliation of churches- Unity Church. If that is your religion no issue but if not, again another thing you may want to check.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk