Menu

Kids with keratosis pilaris

extendedforecast

My son and youngest daughter have this. My son’s condition is much worse, and I’d like recommendations for products that work best. I’m able to keep my daughter’s skin moisturized with Eucerin intensive repair lotion, which the doctor suggested trying. Unfortunately my son’s skin hasn’t seen any improvement using this product.

Edited to correct the name of the lotion I’ve tried.

Edited by extendedforecast

DD has sensitive skin and her kertosis was always on her face and we found out it was triggered by shampoo.

I found a beer shampoo called Broo and her face cleared up after she switched to Broo.

http://broo.com/

She continues to use

CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion 

CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser

Home Health Almond Glow Skin Lotion Unscented for elbows and knees as those areas are very dry.

• Like 1

Which bottle of AmLactin should I order? The purple, blue, or green? Also, the only time I’ve used cetaphil was when my kids had lice. It was more of a soap than a lotion if I recall correctly - it was almost ten years ago.

At our house we don't mix anything with it. Amlactin is enough on its own. And we use the green cap.

For myself, *gentle* exfoliation also plays a part. Beads rather than rough additions, or even just extra attention (not harsh scrubbing) with a nubby washcloth.  Mine's much better as an adult than it was as a kid, but I still have stubborn spots.  I'm a fan of Gold Bond for those, but I tend to use Aveeno on the milder areas.

This is a helpful thread. One of my boys was born with it. It is a bad case as it is all over his thighs, arms and face. I barely notice anymore since he has always had it but I know it bugs him. It gets slightly better in the summer with sun exposure but still noticeable. I am going to try some of these suggestions.

• Like 1

This is a helpful thread. One of my boys was born with it. It is a bad case as it is all over his thighs, arms and face. I barely notice anymore since he has always had it but I know it bugs him. It gets slightly better in the summer with sun exposure but still noticeable. I am going to try some of these suggestions.

My youngest dd has it on her upper arms and legs. She does get self conscious about it in the summer. At 6 she saw the commercial and asked me to get the Gold Bond cream for it! I was really surprised that she was so self conscious at such a young age. I think older kids , when playing with her, would notice and innocently ask her what was wrong with her arms. After using the cream for a while, it did make a huge improvement, but she hates using any sort of lotion. She stopped using the cream and said that she didn’t care about her bumpy arms anymore. I guess that for her, knowing it was easily remedied helped her to feel like it wasn’t a big deal.

PSA... I just wanted to put this out there for anyone using products for KP. Most of them contain some sort of acid and it will make the skin prone to sunburns. The fine print on the bottles should say this. It’s important to use sun protection regularly on treated areas.

I saw that they contained acids like aha and was surprised not to read anything about sun protection in the information. Granted I don’t have the actual bottle in hand and was just reading off of the website. If applied at night, do I still need to be vigilant about sunscreen the next day?

I saw that they contained acids like aha and was surprised not to read anything about sun protection in the information. Granted I don’t have the actual bottle in hand and was just reading off of the website. If applied at night, do I still need to be vigilant about sunscreen the next day?

Amlactin has a warning.

Yes you need to be careful with sun exposure, even if you use it at night.

• Like 2

I’ve used them extensively and never burned, and I have skin fair enough I have trouble buying foundation. I wouldn’t worry about sun protection if they are covered with shirts, but if it’s a sleeveless day it’s a wise idea :)

I would say this is true only if you're above 40N lat or so. I've had wicked burns on my forearms because I didn't re-apply sunscreen frequently enough (every 3 hours).   I wear long-sleeved sun shirts if I'm out for the day in the sun.  It takes about two weeks after my last application to go back to my normal level of ultra-sun sensitivity. :) 

SaveSave