Menu

Give me some ideas for using up ground beef.

KatieJ

We are empty nesters with lots of ground beef from our half a cow. Our daughter and her family moved away, and we just aren’t using it up as fast this time.

I am on a lower calorie , high protein eating plan, so think low carb, but not high fat.

I don’t eat a lot of starch or cheese.

I am not in love with Greek spices, but I have some and am open to new recipes.

Thanks.

Cook the ground beef in crumbles with a lot of extra water in the pan.  It will break up and the fat will rise out of it. You can even rinse it with hot water and a colander afterwards (be careful to do this over another pan and not a drain that could be clogged by fat.

Then you can do anything you want with the crumbles.  I really like the recipes in David Kirsch's books and website - a lot of lean protein and veggies, but actually delicious instead of tasting like diet food.  He tends to use ground turkey instead of beef, but if you drain the fat completely the beef is arguably healthier.

We make lots of chili, taco meat, taco chili, sloppy joe meat, meatloaf, and of course burgers. When we decide to go low-carb but crave a burger, we make what we call 'redneck salad', which is coleslaw topped by burger patties and whatever other condiments we want (we live in an area where slaw on a hamburger is common). We make meatballs to eat while watching ball games.

I like using up leftover meat and veggies and making them into pasties.  They almost always turn out, and you can freeze them if there are extras.  Just google different recipes.  You can pretty much substitute any kind of meat and veggie.

Shepherd's pie is good too.

• Like 2

I like using up leftover meat and veggies and making them into pasties.  They almost always turn out, and you can freeze them if there are extras.  Just google different recipes.  You can pretty much substitute any kind of meat and veggie.

Shepherd's pie is good too.

I don't mean to hijack, but I have a freezer FULL of ground venison and desperately need to use some of it up before someone gets another deer.  Pasties might be a good use of some of our bounty.  What kind of crust do you use for your pasties?  I found recipes using pie crust and puff pastry.  Puff pastry seems a lot more doable than pie crust (I make homemade, and it's a pain).  Is that cheating?

Meatballs! Check for the pioneer Woman's recipe which uses 5 lbs. of ground beef.

Meatballs make a hearty appetizer to take to Christmas parties! Share the beef.  ;)

Taco meat is good in omelettes or breakfast burritos. 

I make small meat pies/pasty with pie crust, but mine is easy to make. Puff pastry or phyllo works too. OP wants low carb, so those are out for her, but they are yummy. 

• Like 1

I don't mean to hijack, but I have a freezer FULL of ground venison and desperately need to use some of it up before someone gets another deer.  Pasties might be a good use of some of our bounty.  What kind of crust do you use for your pasties?  I found recipes using pie crust and puff pastry.  Puff pastry seems a lot more doable than pie crust (I make homemade, and it's a pain).  Is that cheating?

Haha, I think you can use any kind of pastry you want, and it's not cheating!

That said, I generally use a typical pie crust type, because I like the flavor of it.  I don't have a set recipe though.  It seems like every time, I have to go online to find one and it's probably never the same one.  I always find one that looks simple.  I'm definitely not a crust expert though.

How about frozen pie crust that you get at the grocery store?

I make salisbury steak with a beef broth gravy (using just a little cornstarch).  Taco salad or spaghetti on zucchini noodles.  Everything else I can think of require high starch... shepard's pie, cottage pie, tacos/burritos etc...

*You could do a no bean or low bean chili

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 2

My two favorite low-carb ways to use ground beef are burger patties on a bed of dark greens with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil and this Addictive Asian Beef Slaw (one of the few ways I can get my kids to eat cabbage!). I've made the beef slaw enough times to be able to tweak it to whatever we have on hand. I increase the chopped bell peppers and carrots, use all white cabbage if that's all I have, skip the lime and cilantro (though I like the lime and use it if I can), add extra ginger, etc. It's always so good.

• Like 1

Cook the ground beef in crumbles with a lot of extra water in the pan.  It will break up and the fat will rise out of it. You can even rinse it with hot water and a colander afterwards (be careful to do this over another pan and not a drain that could be clogged by fat.

Then you can do anything you want with the crumbles.  I really like the recipes in David Kirsch's books and website - a lot of lean protein and veggies, but actually delicious instead of tasting like diet food.  He tends to use ground turkey instead of beef, but if you drain the fat completely the beef is arguably healthier.

Our beef is organic, hormone free and very very lean.  Not worried about that.

I will look up David Kirsch.  Thank you for that suggestion.

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 1

I am well seasoned cook.  Meatballs, taco, chili etc, all in our normal routine here. We do eat a lot of taco salad, and cheeseburger salad. I recently found low carb tortilla's but they are still fairly high carb count.    DH is fantastic and will eat whatever concept I come up with.  I have one Holiday party I will make meatballs to.

I have lost 90 pounds this past year, so I know what works for me, just looking for new ideas.

• Like 2

I remember mentioning this. It's mind blowing, and you inspire me.

Thank you!  I am going weekly to a bariatric clinic for education and support.  But I am a zebra there.  Most folks have done surgery or are using a significant amount of "product".  I did not choose that.  However,I  am thankful for the journey. 

• Like 1