Menu

Christmas gift for dh?

HollyDay

I'm at a loss for a gift for dh this year.  He says he has everything he needs and there is nothing particular he wants.  He plays guitar but has what he needs for that.  He does some woodworking and recently bought a new tool which might have been a good Christmas gift (but he needed it to finish a project).  He enjoys reading. 

I've gotten him a mug and a couple books.  But, I can't think of something "wow."  Ideas???

How about an adventure? For dh’s birthday I got him a day at a local zipline place. In the past I have given him a rock climbing lesson at a climbing gym.

Season’s pass to a local place he would enjoy?

Tickets to a show? Concert, play, etc.

Does he like chocolate? Dh likes a little hit of dark chocolate in the evening. He'll get an Endangered Species 72% cacao bar in his stocking and probably some See's dark chocolate balls and/or Dove dark chocolates, both of which are nice for portion control. Always a new pair of jammies. A dress shirt and tie. He wants a new drone, but that might be out of my price range--I'm going to check the one at Costco.com that goes on sale 11/27 I think ($100 off, but they don't tell you off what).

If he enjoys beer, get a Mr. Beer beer-making kit. I did this over a decade ago for hubby, and he now is part of a local home brew club, makes his own beer/meads, and is far beyond Mr. Beer kit ;-) you never know what gift might become a life-long hobby.

For his birthday this year I made him a binder with all his hand-written recipes gathered, placed in page protectors, and collated by types. I made a collage of various photos of him making beer over the years for the cover.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

How about a new fake book of music for his guitar? A personalized guitar strap? Make a "kit" with those things and strings? Maybe tickets to see a wonderful guitarist who is coming to your area? Guitar lessons? (My husband played beautifully but appreciated guitar lessons so he could learn some Bach and other pieces that were far more advanced.) 

Or, maybe go completely off the deep end and do something like a Date Calendar? I've given this twice. You get a fun, cheap calendar (I got Dollar Store calendars) and then attach an envelope to each month. In the envelope, write out a note that describes the date, along with cash or whatever is needed for the date. Some examples we did--

*Cheap Date: movie rental gift cert and a note describing how we'd eat popcorn in bed and watch something (use your imagination, I'm not posting what I really wrote...lol)

*Park Date: Picnic in the park 

*Fancy Date: tickets to some performance that was more costly

*Memory Lane Date: note said something to the effect of we will open a bottle of wine and look thru picture albums together and reminisce

*Workout Date (or Long Walk, or Hiking, whatever floats your boat)

Etc. 

Every month, dh could look forward to no kids and quality couple time. 

• Like 3

Thanks to a friend, I got DH a palm sander one year.  The friend told me that this is one of those things that woodworkers never buy themselves but love to have once they have them.

Also, at his request, I got him a Dremel set one year.  I don't know if he has ever used it, but he loves the fact that he has it.  It's for fine miniature woodwork.

This year I'm getting him a couple of books on fine wooden box making, suggested by yet another woodworking friend who is currently working through them, and a very cozy but reasonably masculine lap blanket from REI because he like to go see movies outside but always freezes from the jacket down.

Or, maybe go completely off the deep end and do something like a Date Calendar? I've given this twice. You get a fun, cheap calendar (I got Dollar Store calendars) and then attach an envelope to each month. In the envelope, write out a note that describes the date, along with cash or whatever is needed for the date. Some examples we did--

*Cheap Date: movie rental gift cert and a note describing how we'd eat popcorn in bed and watch something (use your imagination, I'm not posting what I really wrote...lol)

*Park Date: Picnic in the park 

*Fancy Date: tickets to some performance that was more costly

*Memory Lane Date: note said something to the effect of we will open a bottle of wine and look thru picture albums together and reminisce

*Workout Date (or Long Walk, or Hiking, whatever floats your boat)

Etc. 

Every month, dh could look forward to no kids and quality couple time. 

I love this and am definitely doing it!  What a perfect and thoughtful gift!

I'm at a loss for a gift for dh this year. He says he has everything he needs and there is nothing particular he wants. He plays guitar but has what he needs for that. He does some woodworking and recently bought a new tool which might have been a good Christmas gift (but he needed it to finish a project). He enjoys reading.

I've gotten him a mug and a couple books. But, I can't think of something "wow." Ideas???

I think I'm going to make DH a framed piece of "art" with a quote from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Ive been laughing about it ever since I had the idea.

• Like 1

My doesn't drink beer, so I though about the "make your root beer" because we do enjoy trying all the local micro brews each time we move.   But I realized he would never make it.  So I'm getting him 3 months of the 'Rootbeer of the month club'.  And if he wants, he can then add in more months.  Something different.  And I thoug of it after I had ordered him a "hand of the king' bottle opener.