Menu

How hard is it to make a pumpkin roll?

ktgrok

Try it! If it doesn't work, turn it into a trifle or something.

*Disclaimer: I've never made one but want to.

I've never made one either, but I have turned sponge cakes that fell apart into trifle with great success. So, I'd try it because there's basically no chance of failure.  

• Like 3

Have you found a great recipe?

I have never made one as I live and breathe for pumpkin pie, but my sister makes 15-20 every year to give away as gifts. People beg her not to change the tradition!

If you are interested in seeing (another) tried and true recipe,  I will ask her to send it to me today.

Have fun!  :thumbup1:

• Like 1

They can be finicky. Watch your time, don’t overbake, and like the others said, it makes a fine trifle or cake in a bowl.

If that happens and someone complains, just tell them they can be glad it isn’t a “traditional English trifle†and show them the clip of the one on Friends made with beef.

• Like 1

I make several this time of year.  My secret...parchment paper!  It makes all the difference in the world.  I line my small cookie sheet with it, let it cool for about 7 minutes when fresh out of the oven, roll it up with the parchment paper still attached, unroll it when completely cool and then put the filling in, and roll it back up without the parchment paper.  It's a Thanksgiving staple around here and I can squeeze 3 pumpkin rolls out of a 12 oz can of pumpkin with my recipe. 

• Like 1

It seems harder than it is, but for me the trick is to use a tea towel. Once you take the cake out of the oven and let it cool until slightly warm, flip it onto a tea towel and roll it up in the tea towel. Let it cool completely, unroll it and put your filling in and then reroll. I've never had a break or crack when I do this.

• Like 1

To keep it from cracking, while still warm, but not so hot you can’t touch it, lay it on a dish towel and roll it into shape. Let it cool rolled up. Gently unroll, fill it and re roll it. It shouldn’t crack.

And if it does crack, mix pumpkin and cream cheese or cool whip and make a light/fluffly frosting and frost the outside of it! Frosting hides lots of issues!

• Like 2

I haven’t made a pumpkin roll, but I’ve made a couple of jelly rolls pretty successfully. I second the suggestion about prepping your pan. I can’t remember how I did it, but if I were doing it again I’d use parchment paper. And make sure you put plenty of powdered sugar in your tea towel when you roll it up. It’s a bit of work, but it’s kind of fun and I thought it was worth the effort.

As long as the pumpkin is mostly round I would think it would roll fairly easily. I would choose an inclined surface for a better chance of success. Good luck!

ETA: I know the OP indicated she wasn’t talking about pumpkin bowling or whatnot, but I couldn’t help myself.

Edited by Cindy in FL.
  • Like 3