Menu

favorite educational toys for preschoolers?

I need some birthday gifts for preschoolers.  My youngest is in middle school now, so I feel a bit out of touch with this age group.  Anything new and wonderful in the world of preschool?  It doesn't necessarily have to be educational.  It just has to have some value besides bright and flashy.  

Anything by Lauri Toys can fit both ideals of educational and flashy.  The Tall Stacker Peg set is so much fun, and it can be used for building or math skills.  If you look into My Fathers World and Timberdoodle preschool and prek packages there are so many fun and educational pieces in those packages.  Hope you find the perfect gift. 

Brenda

• Like 1

Favorites here:

Imaginext

Magnatiles

Play food (Learning Resources look real)

Capes/playsilks

Games like Sneaky Snacky Squirrel and Animal Upon Animal

Wedgits

Kinetic sand (with closing box and set of molds)

My First Microscope

Marionettes/limberjacks

Legos

Puzzles like Day And Night

A balance maze (stand on it and try to get the ball around the maze)

Dump trucks and tractors

Anything Melissa & Doug is always good. Like you can just go to Target or Kohls, find their M&D toys, and they'll be winners. If it needs to be more obscure, things from Timberdoodle. 

We liked the Lauri peg stackers btw. 

My SIL has such a knack for these things. She has no kids, so I don't know how she does it. Around 4 she gave my ds a backpack filled with little cars. One year around then she gave him a cheapie toy bow and arrow. Bow&A come in boy and girl colors now. They work indoors in the winter, huge, huge hit here. And we're really talking like a $3 thing, kwim? Just cracks me up when the $3 thing is the Favorite Gift Ever.

My MIL gave my ds a sheriff's hat that went over big, and a dss gave him a Lone Ranger set (mask, hat). Anything dressup is always good. Dress-up is always good, for both genders. 

If I had a girl to buy for now, I'd buy Disney princess dresses. :D

• Like 1

Anything by Lauri Toys can fit both ideals of educational and flashy. The Tall Stacker Peg set is so much fun, and it can be used for building or math skills. If you look into My Fathers World and Timberdoodle preschool and prek packages there are so many fun and educational pieces in those packages. Hope you find the perfect gift.

Brenda

Lauri is great as is Melissa & Doug.

• Like 1

Puzzles, blocks and books!  You can get some fancier things, but those are the best categories of toys.  I've always liked Leapfrog toys, though they are more techy.  Melissa and Doug also have great toy selections.  

Go to Barnes and Noble for ideas.  They have a great toy section, and they are mostly pretty educational.  Not a bunch of plastic cheap stuff, but more quality toys for imagination.

Dinosaur or animal figurines. My children have gotten so much play mileage out of these.

Yes, Schleich! We have some that are 12 years old and still regularly played with.

If you want educational and expensive, try Spielgaben.

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/search?q=automoblox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&safe=active

Automoblox. They are wooden cars that come apart, including tires. I got them for dd when she was about three, and just got them out again for ds, who just turned two and is really too young for them, and he's been happily occupied for fifteen minutes. She played with them from three to six for sure. They are small.

A giant cardboard box. Only half kidding. My preschooler has been living in a giant box that I cut a door out of for about a week. It has been her headquarters, her cave, her house. Right now she is decorating it with Christmas lights that she is drawing on with markers. 

They do make those cheapie cardboard houses that you can buy and color that would make a good gift. :) or a play tent of some sort, but you can't draw on those. 

For gift ideas though: simple art supplies and restocks on coloring books are always appreciated here. We go through them like crazy. She can cut up a spiral notebook, a pack of index cards, and a whole coloring book every day practicing with her scissors. Markers dry out. Paints get used up. Playdough is always useful. Add in some cookie cutters or a play set. Make some homemade in a pretty container. I like things that get used up better than toys usually as I am dealing with a packed house as it is. Consumable art supplies are great. 

Books are never a bad idea too. 

• Like 1

A giant cardboard box. Only half kidding. My preschooler has been living in a giant box that I cut a door out of for about a week. It has been her headquarters, her cave, her house. Right now she is decorating it with Christmas lights that she is drawing on with markers.

They do make those cheapie cardboard houses that you can buy and color that would make a good gift. :) or a play tent of some sort, but you can't draw on those.

For gift ideas though: simple art supplies and restocks on coloring books are always appreciated here. We go through them like crazy. She can cut up a spiral notebook, a pack of index cards, and a whole coloring book every day practicing with her scissors. Markers dry out. Paints get used up. Playdough is always useful. Add in some cookie cutters or a play set. Make some homemade in a pretty container. I like things that get used up better than toys usually as I am dealing with a packed house as it is. Consumable art supplies are great.

Books are never a bad idea too.

An oversized box & the book 'It's Not A Box'. Love it!

• Like 1

I saw in the Rainbow Resouce Christmas catalog a sticker pack that is for decorating a cardboard box. :p

Link: https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=069209

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1