Menu

Cheapest and least bad take out options

Guinevere

Del Taco has 99 cent bean and cheese burritos that--while certainly not gourmet food items--are pretty tasty, relatively healthful (and made with freshly cooked beans on site) and are very inexpensive.

One of these will satisfy a light hunger and two is the most I've ever ordered.

Bill

• Like 2

We love Panera and Jason's Deli when we're in a city that has one.

Panda Express is always welcome.  The kids gravitate to the orange chicken and noodles, which isn't the most healthy, but I like to get a bowl with steamed veggies and then some kind of meat and veggie blend on top.  It can be really satisfying and I love all the vegetables cooked to crisp-tender stage.  Very inexpensive for three of us to just pick up some bowls.  When DH is along he usually gets an entree and 2 sides, so that bumps the price a little more. 

We don't have Chik-Fil-A here, but we've visited when traveling.  It's okay... It always seems salty to me, but it IS a great option when I'm needing to eat and drive at the same time.  Baked nuggets and a side of waffle fries make a very satisfying driver's meal. 

We love Panera and Jason's Deli when we're in a city that has one.

Panda Express is always welcome. The kids gravitate to the orange chicken and noodles, which isn't the most healthy, but I like to get a bowl with steamed veggies and then some kind of meat and veggie blend on top. It can be really satisfying and I love all the vegetables cooked to crisp-tender stage. Very inexpensive for three of us to just pick up some bowls. When DH is along he usually gets an entree and 2 sides, so that bumps the price a little more.

We don't have Chik-Fil-A here, but we've visited when traveling. It's okay... It always seems salty to me, but it IS a great option when I'm needing to eat and drive at the same time. Baked nuggets and a side of waffle fries make a very satisfying driver's meal.

Wait you don't have a ??? What where are you. I thought everyone had Chik-Fil-A.

Wait you don't have a ??? What where are you. I thought everyone had Chik-Fil-A.

Lol!

We really don't!  The closest one is 81.51 miles according to their website.  I'm surprised it hasn't made it this far north yet.  We recently had a knockoff called Mad Chicken open in our mall that offers waffle fries and everything, but it's getting poor reviews so far, and isn't a chain.  I suspect it won't last long. 

Edited by Lady Marmalade

Chipotle is my favorite followed by MOD pizza if you have one.

If it has to be drive through style then I have gotten a salad or baked potato and Wendy's. The only thing I will consider at McDonald's is an egg Mcmuffin so luckily in my area breakfast is served all day now.

ETA: Panera! Love it. Cannot believe I forgot that one.

Edited by nixpix5

Sub sandwiches from a grocery store, either Harris Teeter or Publix. I order ahead using the store app and they are made fresh to order. I can choose the pickup time at both places. Publix has the best bread, Harris Teeter has the best customer service. Both have Boars Head meat and Harris Teeter has the lower price.

I've never been to Harris Teeter but when we are in the south and are traveling home, subs from Publix are always a hit. Way, way better than Subway. 

• Like 1

Lol!

We really don't! The closest one is 81.51 miles according to their website. I'm surprised it hasn't made it this far north yet. We recently had a knockoff called Mad Chicken open in our mall that offers waffle fries and everything, but it's getting poor reviews so far, and isn't a chain. I suspect it won't last long.

Aww so maybe chik-fil-a isn't a northern thing. Seriously I live in BFE. We have nothing here :lol: yet we do have chik-fil-a.

Del Taco has 99 cent bean and cheese burritos that--while certainly not gourmet food items--are pretty tasty, relatively healthful (and made with freshly cooked beans on site) and are very inexpensive.

Bill

I'm sorry but I see your value bean and cheese burrito with a 330 calorie, value menu Crunch Tostada anyday. But I like something with a crunch not to mention white flour practically= glucose.

Not a Subway fan either. Their breads have always seemed weird to me and I'm not a fan of their lackluster salads. Bagged salad and a rotisserie chicken or some kind of fresh veggie and a cheap cut of meat from our local grocery store is out cheap meal when we can't "splurge" on diner/pizza delivery/ take out.

• Like 2

We will typically get a family meal somewhere.   Boston Market's meal for 6 feeds us for 2 meals usually, esp. if they have a special of "add a whole chicken for .99."  If we can't take it with us, we just get the meal for 3 or 4 and share.

Chick Fil A has grilled chicken and a side of fruit.  I get the kid's size meal usually and it is plenty for me.  And their salads are quite good.

Wendy's Chili is usually pretty good and I really like their caesar salad option.

Our #1 place to eat out is Pei Wei.  We go often and they are constantly having specials.  And we get $100 in gift card from Costco for $80, so the combination of the deals they offer and the 20% off by using gift cards makes the $9 meals anywhere from $3.50-$6 on average.

If you get on Qdoba's list, they will email you BOGO offers.  We used to go after church a lot because of the specials.  

My new favorite place is Sabors, but I think it is local.  It is a Latin place that offers $1 tacos from 3-5pm, and sometimes I stop by, if I get off work early enough, and get 10-15 to take home for dinner.  The only prob. is, everyone needs to eat them right away as they are messy and the corn tortillas get soggy if left long.

Del Taco has 99 cent bean and cheese burritos that--while certainly not gourmet food items--are pretty tasty, relatively healthful (and made with freshly cooked beans on site) and are very inexpensive.

Bill

These are very good, and they are the cheapest option to feed my family. We don't have one near, so I always forget about them

I'm sorry but I see your value bean and cheese burrito with a 330 calorie, value menu Crunch Tostada anyday. But I like something with a crunch not to mention white flour practically= glucose.

Not a Subway fan either. Their breads have always seemed weird to me and I'm not a fan of their lackluster salads. Bagged salad and a rotisserie chicken or some kind of fresh veggie and a cheap cut of meat from our local grocery store is out cheap meal when we can't "splurge" on diner/pizza delivery/ take out.

I don't like Del Taco at all!  In fact, I think the entire restaurant reeks of grease. I have not been in one that didn't.    And I don't care for Subway.  The servers take forever to get a sandwich together and it usually is less than good.  Now, my son's college has a Subway in the building where he takes most of his classes, and he gets them there when he needs to.

Bagged salad and rot. chicken is a go-to for us as well.  And there is a grocery store here (PUblix) that has great fried chicken if we want to pick that up.