Menu

teen flying with friends--anything I need to know

maize

My 14 year old will be flying to a dance competition with a friend and the friend's mother. Anything I need to know about minors flying without a parent? She won't be unaccompanied because she will be with an adult, just not a related adult. She doesn't need ID right?

• Like 1

Our sons have gone on flights with their aunt. We sent along a letter authorizing them to travel with her and for her to make medical decisions in the event of an emergency where we couldn’t be reached. She has the same last name as them so I don’t think anyone asked for the letter for travel but we didn’t want it to be an issue for her. They didn’t have any kind of ID. I looked up recommendations and requirements before they went and couldn’t find anything absolutely required. But most of the travel sites I looked at recommended a letter authorizing her to take them. 

• Like 3

She should have an ID because without one she cannot prove that she is under age and does not need one.

I could send a copy of a birth certificate. She doesn't have any other ID.

If she had an active passport I'd send that but she doesn't.

She doesn't look over 18 though. 

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Our sons have gone on flights with their aunt. We sent along a letter authorizing them to travel with her and for her to make medical decisions in the event of an emergency where we couldn’t be reached. She has the same last name as them so I don’t think anyone asked for the letter for travel but we didn’t want it to be an issue for her. They didn’t have any kind of ID. I looked up recommendations and requirements before they went and couldn’t find anything absolutely required. But most of the travel sites I looked at recommended a letter authorizing her to take them. 

This is a good idea. Just a signed letter?

• Like 1

Dd 15 just flew by herself within the US. All she had to show was her boarding pass. She didn't even have to show ID. The check in agent asked if I wanted her to be met at the airport by someone from the airport but I said no.

(She did have a passport and her state ID with her in case it was needed. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

She should have an ID because without one she cannot prove that she is under age and does not need one.

Except that you enter her birthday when you buy the ticket, and TSA has already run information on everyone on the plane, that would flag if a person with that name/address/birthday didn't exist. 

I've flown with nonrelated teenagers several times for my job and also when my son has brought a friend on vacation, and with a related teenager who doesn't look like me, and not having ID has never been an issue.  

Having ID is nice, but certainly not needed for a minor to get on a flight.

• Like 3

This is a good idea. Just a signed letter?

Yes, signed by me and dh.

This is what we said: 

We, (dh)  and (me), give permission for (Aunt’s name)  to accompany our son, (full name)  (DOB ) on a trip to Alaska. 

They will be flying on _____ Airlines from Washington DC (IAD-Dulles) to Anchorage, AK (ANC) with a layover in Chicago, IL (ORD-O’HARE) on Tues, June 20, 2017. 

They will be returning via United Airlines from Anchorage to Washington DC (through Chicago) on June 28, 2017. 

(Aunt) has our permission to act as a guardian and to make all decisions related to travel and medical needs for H.  while on this trip from June 20, 2017 through June 28, 2017. 

My oldest went to Puerto Rico with his aunt when she was 10. I think we did a notarized letter because we were more on top of planning. Our second son went to Alaska this past summer with the same aunt and I procrastinated a bit on getting things ready. So I just did a signed letter (by both me and dh). She said no one ever asked for it. It seemed like a good precaution, but probably rarely actually needed. 

• Like 1

Both of my children flew as minors without being asked for an ID.  If they were young enough to be considered "unaccompanied minor", the airline did want to ensure that there was someone on the flight who was accompanying them; so, the adult had to be available when DC checked in for the flight.

My son was asked for ID when he flew at age 14 and age 15. After showing his boarding pass, he had to get his ID out. I was with him both times. He's tall, so might appear "older", but he has a young face, doesn't shave yet. It's hard to predict. I'd recommend a state ID especially for a teen.

ETA: domestic flights both times. And recent: fall 2016 and spring 2017.

Edited by TarynB

My kids have flown without me quite a few times and I've flown with other people's kids.  ID was never an issue. They have been asked at times but when they've given their age, TSA just moved on. It wasn't an issue.

Personally, in my experience, it goes a long way toward making the passage through security easier to have boarding pass ready to go and tell the kid to just look secure and confident. The only time I've ever had trouble was when someone elses kid was with me and he mom insisted she give them passport, state ID, letter to allow he to travel with me, etc.  When the TSA agent learned she was 15, he was more aggravated by the extra 'stuff' she handed him than anything else.

YMMV, of course, but in my experience, it has never been a big deal.

My kids have flown without me quite a few times and I've flown with other people's kids. ID was never an issue. They have been asked at times but when they've given their age, TSA just moved on. It wasn't an issue.

Personally, in my experience, it goes a long way toward making the passage through security easier to have boarding pass ready to go and tell the kid to just look secure and confident. The only time I've ever had trouble was when someone elses kid was with me and he mom insisted she give them passport, state ID, letter to allow he to travel with me, etc. When the TSA agent learned she was 15, he was more aggravated by the extra 'stuff' she handed him than anything else.

YMMV, of course, but in my experience, it has never been a big deal.

Yes, that seems over the top. I don't see a letter as doing much good and doesn't prove identity anyway. And a passport is just overkill (for domestic travel) if you already have a state ID.

And then there was my then-14 year old who got an eye roll and a stern admonishment from a TSA agent because he held up the line when he didn't have his ID out and ready to hand over along with his boarding pass. He was polite and just complied with the demand, even though under-18 isn't supposed to need an ID. What the rules say and the reality of what happens at the gate can be two different things. You can't win sometimes.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

My son was asked for ID when he flew at age 14 and age 15. After showing his boarding pass, he had to get his ID out. I was with him both times. He's tall, so might appear "older", but he has a young face, doesn't shave yet. It's hard to predict. I'd recommend a state ID especially for a teen.

ETA: domestic flights both times. And recent: fall 2016 and spring 2017.

In my experience they get on auto pilot. When we go through with school groups they will ask the first few people for ID but if they say " I'm 16" then they'll look at the ticketing info and see that you are right.

Asking doesn't mean they actually need it.