Menu

TENS unit??

HollyDay

I tried one at a health expo. The guy got mad at me when it didn't help me in the ten minutes I tried it out. Which doesn't help you but I would see if there is the option to get your money back if it doesn't work. (I don't know if you are supposed to be able to tell a difference immediately but the guy selling it sure implied it. ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Kaiser, and they let you test these for a couple of days to see whether they work *for you* or not.

DH tried it for his back, and couldn't tell whether it was doing anything helpful or not, so he didn't think it was worth the hassle.

I tried it for my shoulder and found it so irritating that I couldn't stand it.

Others find it extremely helpful.  It's supposed to be a counterirritent that reduces pain by kind of distracting your nervous system from it, painlessly.

I have this one and it helped more than anything else other than traction at the physical therapist for my herniated disc pain.  It's not a cure, doesn't take away all the pain, but it feels good and sort of dissipates the severity of the pain or something, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/truMedic-TENS-Electronic-Pulse-Massager/dp/B00DCEBLP4/  (I also got a big pack of replacement electrode things for really cheap, too.)

• Like 2

I'm told I really should get a TENS unit. The more I look for one, the more confused I'm getting. ANyone have any suggestions??

There are so many choices, aren't there??? I'm looking for one for my dh in the hope that it will help with his leg pain, but I had no idea how many different models there would be, and I have no idea which one would be the best option. It's so confusing!

Have you tried it before? I wouldn't buy one without trying it in PT first. I had a therapist use one on me for several months off and on during physical therapy and I don't think it helped a bit. I found it very uncomfortable and unpleasant. DH has tried it at PT and liked it, and has considered getting one to use at home. DD had a therapist try it and found no benefit but didn't mind it either. 

I just bought one because I was hanging out with a group of moms at one of my kids' sports practices and EVERYONE is the circle had one and loved it.  Peer pressure, ya know?  It was only $30 at Amazon, so I thought it was worth a try for my son's back pain.  We haven't tried it yet, but there were four other moms in that group and they all liked theirs, so there's my vicarious testimonial.