Menu

Please tell me again

Night Elf

I keep mine in binders, in sheet protectors, with categories separated by tabs.  With page protectors I can put in oddly-sized recipes, such as cut out of magazine or newspaper.   Two binders, one for desserts, sweets, baking; one for appetizers,  main dishes, sides.

I remember that thread but I couldn't find it either.

• Like 2

I used to use a binder with page protectors, but it got too big, and we'd take the pages out to use them and they were always in a messy, hard-to-find pile.

I loaded all the recipes into one Word document, formatted it, and sent it through Amazon's book publisher software. I couldn't complete the publishing process even to use for myself, because some of the recipes were taken from the internet, but I could get it through the "create a draft/example copy" part which gave me a usable family cookbook for the kindle. SO much better, and with a nice looking cover and searchable, linked table of contents.

• Like 3

I pasted my fav recipes onto those stiffer-than-paper topic dividers for three-ring binders, and keep them (by category) in in two three-ring binders.  One skinny binder for meats/veggies, etc. - one fat binder for desserts :-)   I like the stiff pages since I can take a page out of the binder and lean it against something on the kitchen counter as I bake etc.  ALSO - inside the cupboard door right over my main counter I taped a 8x11 pocket photo page that holds several photos - only instead of photos the pockets hold my most-used recipes on notecards.  I have more than one recipe per pocket, since easy to move the one I want to the front of the pocket.  I just keep the cupboard door open while I bake/cook (the bottom cupboard shelf holds my measuring cups anyway).

My youngest dd (21 now)  uses a hand-me-down original iPad to bring up recipes on-line.  She leans the iPad against the back splash and does her cooking.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

I keep mine in binders, in sheet protectors, with categories separated by tabs. With page protectors I can put in oddly-sized recipes, such as cut out of magazine or newspaper. Two binders, one for desserts, sweets, baking; one for appetizers, main dishes, sides.

I remember that thread but I couldn't find it either.

This is how I do it, though not everything is in a page protector. I also have an "untried" section. Things only go in other sections if they are tried and true.

It may be an old fashioned method, but with paper (vs electronic) I find it easier to see the whole recipe at once, as well as any notes I made about how I'd adjust it in the future.

The sheet protectors are also a great way to save a recipe handwritten by a beloved friend or family member. I don't care much if my gramma left me her heirloom jewelry, that handwritten chicken pie recipe is gold to me.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 4

I use planttoeat.com but have yet to input all my recipes.  They left their tidy home in the binder to live an unhappy life of clutter on my bookshelf!  

"Plan to eat" has great scaling/menu planning capabilities.  Their customer service is excellent.

Edited by secretgarden
  • Like 1

I have a three-ring binder with tab dividers, in my own categories that make sense to me. I also have two pockets in the binder, to hold the inevitable recipe I obtain in a non-standard size/shape.

This is how I do it, though not everything is in a page protector. I also have an "untried" section. Things only go in other sections if they are tried and true.

It may be an old fashioned method, but with paper (vs electronic) I find it easier to see the whole recipe at once, as well as any notes I made about how I'd adjust it in the future.

The sheet protectors are also a great way to save a recipe handwritten by a beloved friend or family member. I don't care much if you lgramma left me her heirloom jewelry, that handwritten chicken pie recipe is gold to me.

As my eyes flowed over this post prior to reading it, I caught myself wondering if this was a new app for dowloading old recipes into a usable electronic format. :-)

I also keep electronic files, mostly in Evernote, but I worry that that's going to disappear one of these days, so Recipes That Must Never Be Lost get filed in libre office (free, similar to Word) and printed.   

I have a printed email my brother sent me years ago describing in narrative fashion how to make breaded pork chops "just like Mom's and that is no s*@t!"   I don't make it but I consider it a family heirloom.  

• Like 1

Oh dear.  I have magazine recipes that I ripped out and sheets of white computer paper and sheets of loose leaf paper all jammed into a folder that's ripping at the seams.  It's a mess!  And I have a little recipe box with different sized cards stuffed in it.  Sometimes I forget if a recipe is in the box or in the folder and it's a huge search.  The recipes aren't sorted in either place.  They're all just shoved in there.  Yes, it's a huge pain to find the one I want.

The three-ring binder with plastic sheets sounds like an awesome idea.  Maybe that'll be my project over the winter break.

As my eyes flowed over this post prior to reading it, I caught myself wondering if this was a new app for dowloading old recipes into a usable electronic format. :-)

I also keep electronic files, mostly in Evernote, but I worry that that's going to disappear one of these days, so Recipes That Must Never Be Lost get filed in libre office (free, similar to Word) and printed.

I have a printed email my brother sent me years ago describing in narrative fashion how to make breaded pork chops "just like Mom's and that is no s*@t!" I don't make it but I consider it a family heirloom.

Lol fat fingers. Off to edit that...

• Like 1

The sheet protectors are also a great way to save a recipe handwritten by a beloved friend or family member. I don't care much if my gramma left me her heirloom jewelry, that handwritten chicken pie recipe is gold to me.

My granny handwrote all her favorite recipes in a spiral-bound notecard book and gave them to my mom. What's funny is this is my dad's mom. Even though my parents divorced when I was very young and my dad remarried, my granny and mom stayed friends and as far as I know my mom's the only one who got a copy of these recipes. My mom felt she could never give this notebook to me because my sister would get mad, so she made photocopies of the whole thing. I have the copies in page protectors.  It's definitely one of my prized possessions. The recipes themselves aren't necessary special, but I adore seeing my granny's handwriting and side notes throughout and remembering having many of the foods served at family meals and holidays.

• Like 1

I have a 3 ring binder divided into sections, but yesterday I signed up for a free trial of Plan to Eat. Much of what I make comes from Mel's Kitchen Cafe so I spent about 30 minutes yesterday uploading the recipes I commonly make and I was super happy with how fast it was to upload things. I just need a faster way to meal plan. I feel like I spend too long each week making lists and deciding what to eat. I want all my recipes in one spot. I hope that Plan to Eat is going to do what I think it will for me.

Edited by DesertBlossom

I haven't looked into it much yet, but does anyone know if Plan to Eat will calculate nutrition info too? Years ago I signed up for food.com because it provide nutrition info from recipes, and from there I could figure out a "carb factor" to calculate for my dd with T1 diabetes. But it took a long time and I never added more than a few recipes.