Menu

Does this product exist?

Debbi in Texas

I am not sure what I need, but here is the problem. In my new classroom, all the outlets are horizontal. I want to use plug in scented products, but they are made for vertical outlets, at least the ones I have found. I was hoping there is an adapter, but a quick amazon search does not show one available.

Any clues?

They are a migraine trigger for a lot of people... Please make sure you check with kids/parents that they are ok so you don't make your students sick...

If vanilla is helpful for one student is it possible to locate something with a natural vanilla scent close to her instead of using something that effects the whole class?

• Like 1

I was about to say, just use any scent except vanilla! Because it's the vanilla scent that gives a couple of my family members migraines.

There's probably a natural vanilla body oil out there, that maybe the student could put on her wrists.  Maybe that would be an easier solution?

Otherwise I think it's a nice idea!

The Scentsy wall plug in warmers rotate for this issue. I do like and use Scentsy, however, certain scents give Ds a headache so have not been using them much anymore. Another Ds has an occasional night time cough, so I've been avoiding them near their room for this reason as well. 

When you mention it in the classroom, Dd's 5th grade teacher used a Scentsy and while it always smelled so good in her room, that was the worst year for Dd's migraines. In fact, she got sick IN the class room shortly after one migraine started. I am now wondering if that was the trigger? 

The grocery store plug ins and even the Bath and Body Works type are too strong for me, even as much as I love scented products like that. 

Maybe there's a more natural way to freshen the room? 

Can you give the child a vanilla scented pencil instead?  Or a few drops at the edge of the desk?  Actual vanilla beans nearby?

Artificial scents are a huge trigger for headaches here.  I can't buy candles, go in Bath and Body Works, or deal with Scentsy-like items for longer than a few minutes at a time.  You may want to restrict the scent only to the child who needs it.

• Like 5

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to put a drop of vanilla extract near his seat before he comes in. The cost difference would be an added benefit.

Or get him something vanilla that he can hold or wear. They make diffuser necklaces. Using real vanilla instead of vanillin might help any others prone to migraines.

You are super sweet to be thinking of ideas how to help this child but add mine as another vote for please don't! Vanilla is a headache trigger to me, and even being around it for short time, stresses me out because I know it is likely to cause a headache.  Any person who spends a lot of time in the that room can then carry the scent home with them because the oil/smell can permeate clothing. This in turn can trigger other people's headaches that may not even be in that classroom.  I am really, really surprised the teachers are allowed to do this.  Every school I have worked at/volunteered at would have never allowed this since scents are such a common headache trigger.

I use a drop or two of oil on a bandaid.  We use Cheer Up Buttercup by Now brands. DD10 who has sensitivities, doesn't like the smell of my son's Volvo.  It smells like a normal older car, but there is something about it that she doesn't like.  She uses this in his car when she is bothered by the smell. The nice thing is that the smell then goes away as soon as she tosses the bandaid and she doesn't have to remember to leave it in his car ( like if she had a necklace for essential oils).  This particular oil doesn't bother her skin so she can put the bandaid on her hand.  Some oils might be bothersome, so if you went this route you would have to watch for that. 

• Like 1

Wow--scents of any kind are prohibited in our schools. I'm flabbergasted in this day of known chemical sensitivities the health of students and staff would be jeopardised in this way.

My son is another would get ill in a scented classroom; clearly from the reaction here it's a huge issue. I know you're not asking, but I would definitely consider finding an alternate.

• Like 1

Not only do these artificial scents trigger migraines and they did with me, but now I am not triggered for migraine with them because I have to escape a place because they trigger an asthma attack. So you have sinus issues, migraines and asthma to worry about. Please consider vanilla just next to the kid.

• Like 1