Menu

My weighted blanket

Night Elf

I splurged and got the weighted blanket I wanted. It's 38" by 72", it's a large size designed for adults. I've been sleeping under it and I can't believe how well I'm sleeping. I've cut down on my sleeping meds and am staying asleep all night. Yay! I thought it might get hot but it's really not. It's just heavy. It's a 16 lb blanket, but once I get it into place it stays. So far it hasn't fallen off of me at night. I have a queen sized bed so it's not on DH's side at all. I wish I had gotten this much sooner.

• Like 24

DH almost got me one last year for Christmas, and I think he was hinting at wanting to get it for me this year. I was poking around on their website the other day. I'm 5' and 110lbs, would the recommendation for 14lb be pretty accurate? Or should it be heavier or lighter?

Also, do you have a cover on it? I have a cat (hair + barf) and my bedspread is already decorated with dry erase marker "whoopsies".

DH almost got me one last year for Christmas, and I think he was hinting at wanting to get it for me this year. I was poking around on their website the other day. I'm 5' and 110lbs, would the recommendation for 14lb be pretty accurate? Or should it be heavier or lighter?

Also, do you have a cover on it? I have a cat (hair + barf) and my bedspread is already decorated with dry erase marker "whoopsies".

I got a 16 lb. weight because I'm 130. I'm sure I could do just as fine with 15 lb. Mine is a little annoying to maneuver into place at night but once I have it on me, it stays.

I did not get the duvet cover and I wish I did. You have to order your blanket with duvet snaps. I figured I didn't need it but after I got it and found my dog laying on top of it, I realized I should have spent the extra money to do it so I could wash it frequently. I'm going to have to find a laundromat that has an extra large tub I guess. The wash recommendations say it's not a good idea to wash a blanket over 10 lbs. in a top loading washer. It will get off balance.

I wonder if I could put on my own snaps and order the duvet? Hmm.. 

• Like 1

Could you explain to me in a condensed version the benefits of a weighted blanket.  Is it to help you sleep better?  Thanks.

The SensaCalm website has some information that might help you. 

For me, I use it whenever I feel anxiety. It's just like a deep hug. It's a feeling of security and comfort. Some of my anxiety symptoms are a little weird and this blanket helps contain them and keep me feeling in one piece. Sleeping under it has definitely helped also, but they aren't just for sleeping.

They also make wraps and lap pads which is supposed to help focus I believe. 

They are helpful for a variety of issues like insomnia, anxiety, ADHD, autism and sensory processing disorder.

FWIW, SensaCalm is having a 20% sale right now on regular priced blankets, pads and wraps. I sure wish I had known that was coming up!

• Like 2

I made DD one a few years ago and have been intending to make one for myself ever since. Now I'm going to have to make her a new one first because she needs it heavier. Maybe if I haven't managed it by winter we'll ask for them for Christmas!

How do you make them? What do you use to make it heavy?

How do you make them? What do you use to make it heavy?

I've made two, both kid sized. I used plastic beads... Like what's found in beanie babies. Poly-pellets?

I really want an adult sized one for me

Yep, poly-pellets is what I used! I found a good deal on Amazon for a big box of them. I still have enough left over to make DD a new one, but will need another box for mine. I found ideas for making it online. It was simple but tedious. I sewed around 3 sides right sides together then flipped it, like a pillow case. Then I sewed long vertical channels all the way up. Figured out exactly how many pockets I would end up with and how much weight I needed in each. Then funneled the pellets down each channel and sewed a line across. Funneled more pellets, line across. All the way up the blanket. The most tedious part is getting the pellets to all fall down to the bottom of their channel because they catch on the fabric all the way down. A little daunting but quite doable. 

• Like 2

After a live chat with SensaCalm asking about washing instructions, I got an email from him offering me a nice discount on a duvet and a link to Amazon for KAM snaps and tool so I can put the snaps on my blanket myself. It doesn't look hard, just pricey. The sets on Amazon are like $20 and come with way too many snaps. I'm going to go to Michaels today and price the tool and see if they have a smaller bag of snaps. 

I don't think a traditional twin duvet will work. The ones I've seen have zippers or flaps. The weighted blanket is so heavy, it will certainly slip inside the duvet and bunch up which would drive me crazy. I like the idea of the snaps because it will hold it in place.

After a live chat with SensaCalm asking about washing instructions, I got an email from him offering me a nice discount on a duvet and a link to Amazon for KAM snaps and tool so I can put the snaps on my blanket myself. It doesn't look hard, just pricey. The sets on Amazon are like $20 and come with way too many snaps. I'm going to go to Michaels today and price the tool and see if they have a smaller bag of snaps.

I don't think a traditional twin duvet will work. The ones I've seen have zippers or flaps. The weighted blanket is so heavy, it will certainly slip inside the duvet and bunch up which would drive me crazy. I like the idea of the snaps because it will hold it in place.

Michael's doesn't carry them. JoAnn's carries the Dritz brand in their baby sewing area, but the KAM makes a superior product. They'll hold up better. The $20 set with press is a good deal.

Crafty things? You can come borrow mine. :rofl:

I wish! I don't have any friends so no contacts of people who craft in a variety of ways. The guy at SensaCalm even offered to send me enough snaps to put on the blanket but I'd still have to buy the tool. 

I wish! I don't have any friends so no contacts of people who craft in a variety of ways. The guy at SensaCalm even offered to send me enough snaps to put on the blanket but I'd still have to buy the tool. 

Maybe a local tailor/seamstress has a tool and would put your snaps on inexpensively so it would be cheaper than buying the tool yourself?

Erica in OR

The Dritz press works fine. I don't prefer their snaps, and I'd get the KAM press if you'd be using it often, but it's only about $12 on sale. Less if you can catch a 50% off coupon. http://www.joann.com/babyville-snap-pliers/11108974.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI08DJ-ePP1QIVFLjACh0bygL6EAQYAiABEgIzwvD_BwE

The Dritz press works fine. I don't prefer their snaps, and I'd get the KAM press if you'd be using it often, but it's only about $12 on sale. Less if you can catch a 50% off coupon. http://www.joann.com/babyville-snap-pliers/11108974.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI08DJ-ePP1QIVFLjACh0bygL6EAQYAiABEgIzwvD_BwE

The link you gave was for a Babyville brand. Is that just as good? $12 isn't bad. And if I can get the guy to send me the snaps, I won't have to spend $5 on a bag of snaps.

Is the blanket warm like poly fleece, a down comforter or ?  

Is it noisy/rustle-y when the sleeper moves?

Thanks!

I got the polyfill so it looks sort of like a quilt with puffy pockets. You can hear the pellets inside the pockets move around but it's not bad. I don't even notice it. I chose to get the polyfill because I wanted it more like a comforter. I actually use it on top of a sheet and thermal blanket. My dd ends up kicking hers off at night because she gets hot. I haven't had that problem yet.

The link you gave was for a Babyville brand. Is that just as good? $12 isn't bad. And if I can get the guy to send me the snaps, I won't have to spend $5 on a bag of snaps.

Yes, I think the Dritz brand makes Babyville? At some point Dritz was on the package. Or I'm hallucinating! :)

• 4 weeks later...

​I found this thread a couple weeks ago and decided to do some research. I ended up getting a weighted blanket for my son from www.Harkla.co. Just got it last week and we all love it! This one has a removable cover, which I need because with the kids there is no doubt I'll need to wash it frequently. Anyway, glad I found the discussion and thank you for all the information regarding weighted blankets!

Schedule

Edited by Cyr_Mom