Menu

When do you cover dinosaurs?

sagira

Next year we're doing SOTW. There's only a short section on prehistory and early humans. Now before humans roamed the earth, there were dinosaurs. Do you do a unit on dinosaurs before?

Fortunately, I already know which books and resources I want to use. I don't want to spend too much time on dinosaurs either (or should I?) and mess up my SOTW schedule, one chapter a week, 42 weeks a year program.

When do you cover dinosaurs? :bigear:

We did a month of dinosaurs in-between 1st and 2nd grade as a unit study, we used SOTW 1 and 2 for 1st and 2nd and I didn't know where to study them either.

Depending on what resources you use for science you will cover them again when you study geological time in middle school. I have a little library at home of dinosaur books that the kids can explore any time they want including VanCleave's Dinosaurs for Every Kid.

We took about a month before starting SOTW. If you're worried about scheduling, why not have a summer of the dinosaurs before starting? Then maybe do a short unit on prehistoric man right before starting SOTW?

Next year we're doing SOTW. There's only a short section on prehistory and early humans. Now before humans roamed the earth, there were dinosaurs. Do you do a unit on dinosaurs before?

Fortunately, I already know which books and resources I want to use. I don't want to spend too much time on dinosaurs either (or should I?) and mess up my SOTW schedule, one chapter a week, 42 weeks a year program.

We spent kindergarten doing some prep things that I thought would be foundational----dinosaurs and early man, basics of American history (major figures, symbols, major holidays, patriotic songs, pledge of allegiance, etc), holidays. All of this was at a fairly basic level, of course, but I considered it to be basic cultural literacy for elementary school and knew SOTW didn't get to some of it for several years. We were also doing a big road trip that spring that included Lincoln's house in Springfield, Illinois, Boston, Plimoth Plantation, St. Louis (Lewis and Clark), etc, so I wanted my daughter to have some basic information before we went.

We took about a month before starting SOTW. If you're worried about scheduling, why not have a summer of the dinosaurs before starting? Then maybe do a short unit on prehistoric man right before starting SOTW?

Great minds think alike :D

We spent kindergarten doing some prep things that I thought would be foundational----dinosaurs and early man, basics of American history (major figures, symbols, major holidays, patriotic songs, pledge of allegiance, etc), holidays. All of this was at a fairly basic level, of course, but I considered it to be basic cultural literacy for elementary school and knew SOTW didn't get to some of it for several years. We were also doing a big road trip that spring that included Lincoln's house in Springfield, Illinois, Boston, Plimoth Plantation, St. Louis (Lewis and Clark), etc, so I wanted my daughter to have some basic information before we went.

I like this idea. We're kind of doing this a little bit, he's catching it from other resources and books, and through holidays and field trips I'm sure he's absorbing some.

We do it in a pre-history unit starting with creation myths then dinosaurs then early humans and human migration then we start STOW.

We also do it as part of our animals study - dinosaurs are fun and Colorado has a lot of wonderful field trip places and natural history museums.

We also cover it as part of our earth science in second grade. Again, Colorado has some wonderful places to visit including a couple of great hikes along an ancient river bed with thousands of brontosaurus tracks (they are big) and a couple more places with petrified forests, fossil beds, and more fossilized footprints along an ancient sea coast.

I'm sure we will do it again - as soon as I can find an excuse to add it.

Well, we do dinosaurs all the time since my ds7 is fascinated by them. We go to the library 3 times a week and he always gets at least one book about dinosaurs.

We also do spiders & insects all the time due to ds8's interest, and well, I guess we do "play babies" all the time for dd4 (I can't think of what school subject that would line up with).

These are subjects I don't have to worry about "working in" because we will all be experts in short order.

I like dinosaurs. Today History Channel had a special on dinosaurs, and ds was watching with me.

I think we will cover dinosaurs in a month or so, sort of like a summer program of sorts, for fun. Then we will take three weeks off and start our regular school.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I did a prehistory/ dinosaurs/ ice age thing for all of K-5, along with some geography and a general exposure to various ways people dress, look, and how different languages sound. Ice age was particularly appreciated, and there is lots of stuff out there. I think I read You Wouldn't Want to be a Mammoth Hunter about 500 times. It was also an intro to archeology.

I think it was a good prep, and I'd do it again. One of the nifty things about dinos is that if kiddo likes them, them are very useful for learning to classify animals. We also used Walking with Dinos and Prehistoric Beasts.

Do you do a unit on dinosaurs before?

When do you cover dinosaurs?

We had a fantastic time doing dinos in K. We did all kinds of things wrapped up in a unit study, I guess, I was new to the whole game.

Ds did a timeline, drew dinos for his timeline, read countless books fiction and nonfiction, learned characteristics and did classification, made art projects, wrote little stories with illustrations, created erupting volcanoes, you name it, we were immersed in dinosaurs at the height of his fascination with them.

So, I would vote for a unit on them sometime this year. It could be as long as you like, especially if your ds would enjoy it.