Menu

The rails in your closets

MamaBearTeacher

I used to put a plastic cover over the rails in my closet.  The rail itself is a rough aluminum.  I wanted to change them to white.  Right now I have green and burgundy.  They used to sell them everywhere for a dollar or so in the shower supply area.  I can't find them anywhere now and in one store they told me they stopped selling them a few years ago.  Why?  What does everyone use now?  

I had to look that up - I didn't know what you were talking about.  I've never heard of putting a cover over the closet rail.   

Oh, that way the hangers don't get discoloured if they're plastic and don't squeak if they're metal at the top.  

Do the rest of you have aluminum rails or something else?  I saw one at the store that was powder-coated steel? (a white color) but I would rather get the plastic cover than replace the whole rail.

I have lived in at least 30 places, and I had no idea there was such a thing!

I was thrown by the term "rail" too, since I have always calls it a rod.

I just found this on Amazon - colored shower rod covers: 

https://www.amazon.com/Shower-Rod-Cover-Set-Brown/dp/B01H2EGMNK/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_60_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C4C3HYGK7MYW8EVNFGJT

• Like 4

Not familiar with this.

Some of our hangers are plastic, some have metal at the top (with plastic lower on the hanger). I think the plastic rod cover would annoy me based on that photo, like slippery noisy plastic when I went to put something on it. Does it stay still?

We have a couple free standing wardrobes like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Double-Closet-Freestanding-Silver/dp/B002DGM4IU/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1502056188&sr=8-30&keywords=free+standing+wardrobe

I have a love/hate relationship with them. They were affordable and we use the two rods for the children's closet, but when you go to place a hanger, at least an adult size one, you kinda clunk into the top of unit because they don't leave a big enough gap. .

I have gone into shower storage aisles many times and never seen this rod cover. Maybe it depends where you shop??

We do have rods in the built in closets... they are tiny closets and I don't use them daily. We didn't cover the rods with anything. Guess I've never noticed discoloring? Also some of my hangers are dark.

Not familiar with this.

Some of our hangers are plastic, some have metal at the top (with plastic lower on the hanger). I think the plastic rod cover would annoy me based on that photo, like slippery noisy plastic when I went to put something on it. Does it stay still?

Yes, it stays on quite well and then you forget about it.  

Never heard of such a thing either.  I did recently replace our closet rods with heavy duty brushed nickel finish ones that are more the sort of quality you see in clothing stores than builder grade wood rods. And we use those slim hangars with metal hooks and velvet like finish on the slim plastic.  Nothing ever squeaks.