Menu

Christmas 2017 Planning Thread?

frugalmamatx

Anyone want to join me in starting to plan for Christmas 2017? 

I'm starting early yet again because it'll be a frugal Christmas. So far I have a sarcastic graphic T-shirt put back. This year will at least be a bit easier because dd10 finally admitted Santa wasn't real, so it lets some of the pressure off me. 

I'll join...

I've got a set of start wars sheets for my oldest that I picked up for $10 about a month ago and a book for my 4 year old that I found for $2. Each kids gets a book so this finding such a good book for so little is really helpful.

No idea about the million other people we shop for.

You guys are on the ball. 

We don't buy for anyone but the kids.   We don't do presents of stuff any more.  The kids don't care about stuff.  They get tons from relatives.  We will give them experiences.   We always just take them on a trip. Just trying to nail down where to take them this year. 

I love this tradition.  No stress of wrapping and shopping.  I get to go some place so it is a gift for me too.  No clutter. 

Most likely we will do other experience type things too.  Tickets to shows or something along those lines. 

• Like 2

I don't even know how many people I will be shopping for! Christmas is so far away that I can't even see the headlights! Though I do know that it will be here in a blink of an eye. I just can't wrap my head around it. I have 3 trips, and one visit from someone (that I know of, that could turn into 2 visits) between now and then and that is just what I know of! 

God bless you for being able to plan this far in advance! The only thing I know for sure right now is that we will be having Christmas at home... and it will likely be decorated up a bunch. That is as far as I have got. 

I think most of our Christmas may be tickets. We are going to see a great local theater company do The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. My mom is giving us concert tickets to see Keith and Kristin Getty. We are all excited to see The Last Jedi, probably in 3D at the imax.

I have started hoarding fabric to sew Jammie's for all 12. Grandkids. somevofvthem will be superhero fabric. 4 year old wants the same blue snowflake I sewed him a couple years ago! Our local chain (fields fabric)) did a search of all their stores and found more of it for me.

All 12 grands, plus all but 1 of my 8 kids ( I included the in laws) have birthdays between now and early February, so I start planning and shopping in August.

I can not even imagine a life where I could think about Christmas in August.  LOL   :zombiechase:   

We have 4 birthdays, 1 starting college, 1 going back to elementary school, Labor Day, Halloween and Thanksgiving before Christmas.  That is like skipping over half a years worth of holidays and major expenses for me (4 that involve presents for the same family members). LOL 

Talk to me in November when it is cold and drizzly outside. Not when it is 90+ and I hear lawn sprinklers in the distance.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

I can not even imagine a life where I could think about Christmas in August.  LOL   :zombiechase:   

We have 4 birthdays, 1 starting college, 1 going back to elementary school, Labor Day, Halloween and Thanksgiving before Christmas.  That is like skipping over half a years worth of holidays and major expenses for me (4 that involve presents for the same family members). LOL 

Talk to me in November when it is cold and drizzly outside. Not when it is 90+ and I hear lawn sprinklers in the distance.

yeah.  three birthdays, I have two in college - but they're living at home  and a middle schooler who requires riding herd. .  and I'm going to be taking a class - it's online and one evening a week.  but it will be a big change.   hmm - where's my partridge in a pear tree?

one year, my sil asked me about winter boots for her dd who was heading to college in a very cold location.   there was something . . . incongruous?  about the day she choose to ask.  it was 100 degrees outside . . .

and once they get older - it starts getting harder to buy. . . and 2ds wants to see what I come up with  . . . .

I have started looking for a husky christmas ornament . . .

I've started making lists and putting a few things aside. I don't shop for many people but I love planning presents so I force myself to wait until August. 

DH

• a tartan tie
  • books
  • maybe a bicycle? - he'd have to pick that out though

We have discussed buying art and all new curtains and bed linens for our joint Christmas presents but I have to have a few things for him to open under the tree.

DD - 13 yo

• 2 season tickets to our local dinner theater so she can take a friend to all the shows
  • art supplies
  • books
  • a local class and supplies to learn to needlepoint
  • cd's (actually will probably just buy them electronically) of the soundtracks to musicals

DS - will be 4 yo

• train shirts
  • train books
  • toys with wheels
  • marble run or one of those big domino sets so you can knock them all down

Mom 

• a few books - she and my dad are learning French together so I might try to get her a novel she'd enjoy in French
  • pictures of the kids

Dad

• non-fiction books
  • calendar 

Usually I make him a calendar using pictures from my kids through the year and he loves it. He says he looks forward to it every year. This year my youngest sister committed suicide so I was thinking about making the calendar using pictures of her. I just don't know. I might start a separate thread getting opinions on that.

Have 0 money right now but I have started a list of ideas.

BIL - a gift card to his favorite local burger cafe.

My parents - gift card to favorite local Mexican restaurant

Mom -- some games from her childhood, metal jacks, paddle ball etc. Just something fun.

I don't really want to do all gift cards but like BIL loves this place but doesn't go often.

Keeping my ears open to what people say & hope the list will help when I do shop.

I always do a book and doll theme for the young ones. Last year, I made super cute crocheted pigs and elephants coupled witht Piggie and Gerald books. Before that, I did a bear that could be dressed as either Corduroy or Paddington. The first year was Raggedy Ann dolls.

But I've no idea what character to do this year!

• Like 1

I'm ridiculously (for me) early this year.

I went on a wild goose chase today to find this discounted Star Wars lego set for my nephew. I cannot justify the cost of most of the Lego sets for our budget. Well, they said their inventory is not accurate right now and they are in the process of marking down a bunch of toys so I can always check back, but many have already sold (some were marked down already but still $30+). I wandered around the toy aisle and found another clearance SW item. I got that.

I'm done shopping for my neice

I've done some shopping for dd

I've done some shopping for ds

I bought one item for my SIL today and recently bought a couple items for other adults that spend the holiday with us.

I haven't done any shopping for our parents yet. I will most likely do that around Black Friday.

Just about everything I have purchased was on sale. Last year I didn't start noticing ceramic ornaments from Dollar Tree/Dollar General til late in the game. This year I'm going to see if they have them again and paint some as gifts. I'm also keeping an eye on our mosaic shop to see if they run their groupon offer again. Ds and I made some beautiful gifts there one year. It was kinda time consuming. Some of the grandparents especially like homemade gifts.

I sorta hoard gift wrap and also bought discounted stuff after the holiday last year so I should be good there.

I basically roam around stores whenever I get the chance. I use apps to compare prices or get online and use camelcamelcamel to help me decide if something is a decent price.

I always do a book and doll theme for the young ones. Last year, I made super cute crocheted pigs and elephants coupled witht Piggie and Gerald books. Before that, I did a bear that could be dressed as either Corduroy or Paddington. The first year was Raggedy Ann dolls.

But I've no idea what character to do this year!

Calvin and Hobbes?

And if you do Calvin and Hobbes then please adopt my children as nieces and nephews!  :)

Here's a few ideas that I've stumbled across for the "hard to buy for" set:

• portable lightweight hammock - about $25 - these have been a huge hit around here
  • adult coloring book with sharpies - about $20 - the ones for Psalms have been great for grandmothers
  • Richard Peck audiobooks - about $10 - Grandparents through Kindergartners have loved these.
  • Paracord and a how to book - $25 - boy or girl crafty gift
  • Cricket media magazines - varies - lots of options for kids of all ages

I've got a possible plan for my husband. I found a local guy who does blacksmithing lessons, something he's always wanted to learn. I've enough put back from doing some market research to cover one set of classes. This will be a joint birthday/Solstice present (his birthday is early December) as it's a big present. He'll still get a nice dinner and a Cthulhu t-shirt (already bought) on his birthday and a stocking with a small i-tunes gift card and some other things for Christmas. 

My daughter's birthday is very soon, so I have been focused on that, but I know she'll get some make-up, fun socks, candy, and an i-tunes gift card in her stocking. We'll see what her larger Solstice gift will be. I found a very reduced price nice make-up advent calendar from Nyx (12 eyeshadows and 12 mini liquid lipsticks) after Christmas for a spring equinox gift for her for $20 (reg. $50) http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/wanderlust-advent-calendar/NYX_389.html?cgid=sets. In looking online, it seems these sorts of things may go on good sale on Black Friday, so I might pick up something that way this year.

In-laws: no idea, but it can't be gift cards as my father-in-law sees those as unacceptable either to give or get. :(  Probably some Kindle books for my mother-in-law, often dvds for father-in-law.

Not sure what to do for my dad this year. I have his birthday not long before Christmas as well. My stepmother passed away recently, so this will be the first year without a joint gift. We've usually given gift cards to local restaurants.

Other than that, we do cash to niece, nephew, and godson, and we will do some small gifts for a few friends, possibly food.

Edited by KarenNC

Aw the Calvin and Hobbes idea would be cute. I have seen books/dolls sold by each other in Kohl's. I always thought it was cute (Curious George, Madeline and a couple others). My kids got CG last year. We have a million GC books. But I have never tried to make a stuffed animal.

Here's a few ideas that I've stumbled across for the "hard to buy for" set:

• portable lightweight hammock - about $25 - these have been a huge hit around here
  • adult coloring book with sharpies - about $20 - the ones for Psalms have been great for grandmothers
  • Richard Peck audiobooks - about $10 - Grandparents through Kindergartners have loved these.
  • Paracord and a how to book - $25 - boy or girl crafty gift
  • Cricket media magazines - varies - lots of options for kids of all ages

Does the sharpie bleed through badly? I have been scared to use that. But I guess you can put something behind it to not ruin the following page or tear it out.