Menu

Wash inside out?

Night Elf

I bought my ds a new pair of black pants for work. The tag says it's khaki but it feels softer than that. The instructions say to wash inside out with like colors on warm. Well, I wash all darks together in tap cold. What's the point of washing something inside out? 

• Like 1

I wash all jeans and dark pants inside out. It's supposed to help prevent fading. Who knows if it really does, but for me it's an ingrained habit. I also turn graphic tees inside out most of the time. I figure it maybe reduces friction a little. You'll be fine to use cold water instead of warm. Labels are required to list one acceptable method of cleaning a garment. That doesn't mean it's the only acceptable method.

• Like 1

I don't wash inside out.  But with darks (navy and black) I soak them for 12 hours or so in water and vinegar and dry completely before ever actually washing and drying.  It helps hold the color and prevent fading.  It works. 

• Like 1

It's probably a physical dye, like indigo, rather than a chemical one, like aniline.  The physical dyes are actually susceptible to 'wearing' out of the cloth.  So the less direct rubbing you have on the visually important surface, the better.  

Personally I would turn it inside out and wash it in cool water.

The buttons are less likely to fall out of shirts and blouses when washed inside out. Besides the inside seams are usually dirtier with all the sweat collected at armpits area.

My mum does the vinegar soak before washing for blue and black clothes. I would wash the black pants a few times separately or wash with blue jeans.

Ok, I think to be on the safe side I'll wash inside out by themselves. My washer has a setting for just a few items. 

The good news is I got them on clearance for $5. I couldn't find any others like them so I guess they discontinuing that line. 

• Like 1

I wash almost everything inside out all the time. I get lazy sometimes and don't always flip some articles. I don't know if it helps much, but I figure if there's a graphic on it, maybe it will take less damage (we have the old agitator style washer). Also, there have been times when something in the wash made a mess. I figure it might help protect the outside of the item a bit (like if a dye or lint from tissue or something messed with the other items).

I generally wash pants on cold. I wash most clothing on cold. I would worry about shrinking the new pants.

I have colored shirts and khaki shorts to wash today. Ds's work shirt is a bright blue Kroger shirt. Should I wash these new black pants alone a few times before I add them to the regular wash?

Really.  Soak them in vinegar and water for the day and they won't bleed.  It holds in the color.