Menu

weight loss help

EmilyGF

There have been some threads about this recently so I thought I'd add mine - baby is 17 months so it is high time for me to get my rear back in gear. I'm in the 20 or 25 lbs up range, and I've lost the baby weight before, but I'm having a hard time this time. Also, it is all on my tummy currently so I've gotten a few "so, you pregnant" comments recently (I said, "No, just fat."). I don't think I have a diastasis, just women in my family gain there. But there isn't any diabetes history in the women in my family.

In the past when I need to lose weight after a baby, I start exercising consistently, which makes me feel good, and then I become more aware of what I eat and lose weight. However, I injured my knee in January and can't do anything that requires bending it much, even if I am laying on my back. I do walk a lot (2-5 miles per day) which is OK, but not strenuous and not releasing "eat healthy" hormones.

The "eating plan" I've followed well in the past is basically No-S (no sweets, snacks or seconds except on days starting with S) but at some point I start getting really crabby mid-afternoon and then I throw it out the window. I've thought about adding some small snack mid afternoon, but haven't gotten the momentum to start.

Suggestions? I need help... :-) And you guys are amazing.

Emily

• Like 1

Nursing is very individual.  I melted away doing it, but of course I was also eating extremely low fat to prevent gall bladder attacks at the same time.

Lost weight down to about 25 lbs less than pre-pregnancy, at age 40 when it's supposed to be impossible.

But others I know can't lose while nursing. 

My baby is 17 YEARS old......I got nothing.  Nothing is working.  

Mine is 15 years old....  I am in the same place.

But, I just found Fit2B and the Tummy Team and finally have hope that I have not had in a long time.  It explains the WHY for me and gives me hope that  I CAN strengthen my core again.  I will never have the body I had 15 years ago, but I am ok with that. I simply want the strong core & body so I can enjoy the things I used to. 

• Like 1

I'm starting a Thin Within 30-day Blaster Challenge tomorrow. Thin Within focuses not on the food or exercise, but on the reasons why we overeat or eat when we're not really hungry.  I guess I'm learning that while I can get some weight off with certain approaches to food, I usually gain it back because I haven't addressed or conquered why I overeat and how I use food to get me through difficult emotions or just out of mindless habit.  There's a Christian-based Thin Within (.org) and one that isn't necessarily based on spirituality (.com).  The Blaster Challenge is through the latter.  

First, are you working with someone to rehabilitate your knee?  Getting it as healthy as possible will open options.

Second, strength training!  Even if you have to stick to upper body for now, building muscle will help firm things up, increase the impact of your walking, and boost your metabolism.  And most people who do it will tell you it just makes your body FEEL better, and makes all the little daily tasks you do easier.

I don't lose many pounds with strength training, but my whole body changes its shape to what it looked like when I was lighter.

• Like 2

I'm starting a Thin Within 30-day Blaster Challenge tomorrow. Thin Within focuses not on the food or exercise, but on the reasons why we overeat or eat when we're not really hungry.  I guess I'm learning that while I can get some weight off with certain approaches to food, I usually gain it back because I haven't addressed or conquered why I overeat and how I use food to get me through difficult emotions or just out of mindless habit.  There's a Christian-based Thin Within (.org) and one that isn't necessarily based on spirituality (.com).  The Blaster Challenge is through the latter.  

Oh yes.  That old program, The Weigh Down Workshop, was based off of that book.  I did that program, before Gwen Shamblin denied the Trinity and all the churches dropped her.  

There are a couple of other programs based on that precept as well.  One is called Naturally Slim.  There are videos.

When I switched to a plant based diet I lost twenty pounds. I'm 46 and as I've gotten older, weight loss just stopped being my friend (like seriously, I could not get below a certain weight). I'm 5'6 and now 125 pounds and feel really good. Anyway- I switched to plant based solely for health purposes , but if you want to lose weight it certainly can help with that as well! Even if you didn't do it for every meal it might produce the results you're looking for. I still eat all of the foods I love, no counting calories, or worrying over portions, it's been a very simple lifestyle change for me.

That is a very long time for a knee not to have healed. I second the opinion that the first priority if you haven't done it is to get to an orthopedic doc for diagnosis and then to a PT to for rehab. A PT will be able to suggest exercise you can do without hurting your knee. If you haven't gone, the longer you wait, the more difficult rehab will be.  I think you are right: exercise is a key to lasting weight loss not so much b/c of calorie burn but because of hormone reset and how it makes you feel.  Short term weight loss studies indicate food intake is most important, but if you go to the data base of the people who lost and kept it off, a mega majority of them exercise daily for about an hour. 

Are you getting a good night's sleep yet? Good sleep is critical for setting your hormones to healthy eating patterns. 

And my suggestion for dieting is make a lifestyle switch. I found that if I focused on getting 8+ servings of fruits and veges, cravings disappeared, I was full, and the weight came off. All those veges are incredibly good for you for many reasons besides weight loss. 

I got the pregnant question twice in January (I wasn't), and for me that was the impetus for deciding to lose weight. All I do is count calories. I use an inexpensive digital food scale and weigh most of my food. I have gone from a size 12 jean to a size 2 since January. I don't eat particularly healthy (nor do I eat particularly unhealthy), but I do say no to things that are way too caloric and I do portion control and walk more on days I want to eat more. I went through a barre3 phase, but as of now, my only exercise is walking. I walk 8k steps on a regular day, and if I want to eat out, I'll walk 15k if I can. I have lost 45 pounds and am 6 pounds from my goal. 😊

Edited by Jennifer132
  • Like 3

I'd try something like aqua-fit.  Apparently the cool water also helps you burn more calories, and it might be really good for improving your knee. Or maybe something like tai chi, or paddling or rowing.

I'm having a similar issue with pregnancy weight this time, I'm sure it's an age thing.  I am really hoping that when I stop nursing it will get easier.

I would totally try just adding a mid afternoon snack, something with some protein.  You could also maybe try having the main meal at lunch and a light supper though that can be hard to coordinate with family.

Oh yes.  That old program, The Weigh Down Workshop, was based off of that book.  I did that program, before Gwen Shamblin denied the Trinity and all the churches dropped her.  

There are a couple of other programs based on that precept as well.  One is called Naturally Slim.  There are videos.

Yes, I know all about WDW.  I was a leader for quite awhile. I haven't relooked at it for years because of the Gwen thing (bad taste in the mouth and all that).  But the principles are still sound.  The Thin Within you're referencing is the .org one that I mentioned in my post but it's not the one I'm doing. The 30-day blaster challenge I'm doing is not based on either of those spiritually-based programs, but on yet a different Thin Within altogether (the .com one I referenced).  My role model is my older sister.  She was never even really overweight but just struggled with food I think.  She looked into TW several years ago now and now it's the way she lives.  She just doesn't seem to care about overeating anymore, the appeal is gone   That's what I'm after. 

Edited by milovany

I got the pregnant question twice in January (I wasn't), and for me that was the impetus for deciding to lose weight. All I do is count calories. I use an inexpensive digital food scale and weigh most of my food. I have gone from a size 12 jean to a size 2 since January. I don't eat particularly healthy (nor do I eat particularly unhealthy), but I do say no to things that are way too caloric and I do portion control and walk more on days I want to eat more. I went through a barre3 phase, but as of now, my only exercise is walking. I walk 8k steps on a regular day, and if I want to eat out, I'll walk 15k if I can. I have lost 45 pounds and am 6 pounds from my goal. 😊

I've recently lost weight too. Congratulations! Can I ask how long it takes for you to walk that many steps?

Weight loss is 80 % in the kitchen and 20% in the gym. I heard this before and agree with it mostly. For me it was more like60/40. I just don't lose weight when I just diet. I really needed higher intensity workouts and weight training. Some of this might be that I cannot eat just 1200 calories a day. That is so little and I feel like I'm starving all day. Working out intensively enabled me to eat a bit more and still see the results. The weight training really helped with toning too. I would not want To just have a smaller version of my previous body. I want muscle!