Menu

Foreign Language Tutor pricing

My son's German tutor charged $50/hour for contact time, but she also had prep to do (creating exams and grading, for example).  Her "hours" ran long though--generally between 1 hour 20 minutes and an hour and a half, so effectively she was being paid between $33-$38 per hour.  She was a non-native speaker with a PhD in German with extensive experience teaching German at the college level (at an Ivy League caliber university).

ETA: My son met with her twice per week.

Edited by EKS

My kids Chinese tutor charge $50/hr for one child and $60/hr for both my kids together. So it was affordable for us. She creates her own tests and grades my kids homework. She would also call my kids once a week for telephone conversation practice at no extra charge.

A private high school teacher was going to charge us $40 for one child but she stays much further from us.

I am looking into hiring a tutor for high school Italian for my DD. The first person I found charges $30 per hour. Is that the normal rate? Thanks!

Yeah.

It really depends on what you want. Is it someone to do a pre-set curriculum with your DD? Does the tutor know that curriculum or will they need to prep for it? Or do you want a customized instruction, where the tutor preps week to week according to areas DD needs to work on? Or is your daughter's Italian good enough that she just needs to talk and have someone correct her when she makes a mistake?

And if you meet somewhere there's also travel time and travel costs for the tutor.

But for any of those scenarios you're also paying for requisite background knowledge and also a good bit of weekly prep time for each session.

If you're willing to hire someone who is just going to run a pre-set curriculum of their choosing, a "private lesson" type of class, you might be able to knock some dollars off, since they won't need to do so much prep work. If you're willing to meet at their house, or over skype, you might be able to knock off a few more dollars, since they won't have travel costs. Maybe.

But when you consider that the hour class probably isn't the only work the tutor is doing for you, yeah, $30/hr isn't outrageous. Even if they only do one more hour during the week to prep, that's only netting them $15/hr. And that's not even factoring in their expertise yet.

If they are actually teaching/guiding, then yes, that much and more. 

You can probably find someone cheaper through a site like Verbal Planet or similar, via video chat, if you are wanting conversation practice and specific questions answered. 

I would agree that rate (or even higher) is typical for a local, in-person tutor. If you are looking for something more inexpensive, you might want to look on italki.com. I've used italki before for Japanese tutoring and it was a good experience. Here's a link with my referral code: https://www.italki.com/i/acaAc (Although you can just go to italki.com if you don't want to use a referral... but It says if you sign up with a referral, we'll both receive $10 italki credit.)

I would agree that rate (or even higher) is typical for a local, in-person tutor. If you are looking for something more inexpensive, you might want to look on italki.com. I've used italki before for Japanese tutoring and it was a good experience. Here's a link with my referral code: https://www.italki.com/i/acaAc (Although you can just go to italki.com if you don't want to use a referral... but It says if you sign up with a referral, we'll both receive $10 italki credit.)

Yes.

My dd is being intensely taught Spanish for $80/hr.  If I just wanted the basics or an intro, I would use my personal favorite, Live Lingua.  You are assigned a particular tutor and when it is the right fit, it is fabulous!

Teachers through VerbalPlanet are much less expensive! We found an Italian instructor for $18 an hour. It's too early to tell how good she is since we aren't starting until September, but I'll be happy to get back with you if you can wait.

• Like 1

Teachers through VerbalPlanet are much less expensive! We found an Italian instructor for $18 an hour. It's too early to tell how good she is since we aren't starting until September, but I'll be happy to get back with you if you can wait.

Our French tutor was also through verbal planet but they vary a lot in what they offer. This particular one sent homework, along with audio, and also corrected it. Worth every penny and more. I tried to find similar for another langauge (not that hard, bc we went a different way for the summer) and I couldn't find.