Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW27: Scifi July

Robin M

I'm another who often has multiple books in progress.  In my case though, it's often that a new book comes along that looks more enticing than what I'm currently reading.  I'm also known to resume reading a book as I'm riding the bus to return it to the library.  Some of my library books end up being particularly well travelled!

I finished the first book of my 2017 reading journal, now working in the second:

https://goo.gl/photos/q98phMnDvPuQcFdX8

Congratulations!  That looks wonderful; thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 14

I'm a multi-book person. I usually try to read science books in one go, but history books I'll dip in and out of. Like others, I usually have an audiobook, e-book (lighter fare), physical fiction book, and a physical nonfiction book. I have a few poetry and short story books I'm trying to work through, but I have a tough time finishing a book that isn't a cohesive whole.

• Like 14

Old news..that article is dated 2012. But I can tell you that a smaller alligator was in the surf recently in my town.  Apparently the police were called. The officer watched as the gator left the surf, climbed over the dunes and returned to a fresh water pond. We suspect that the officer was protecting the alligator from the man who wanted to get his gun and shoot the poor thing. (Alligators are protected here.)

Ah! Didn't catch the date! Really sounds like alligators are on the move!

As to the multiple books thing: I always have several going. Nonfiction read alouds for homeschool, one of SWB's histories - which keeps getting neglected, whatever literature DS and I are reading, a nonfiction book (history, economic, political, and/or theological), a comfort (fiction) read, and occasionally a classic lit selection (W&P: I'm looking at you!). True confession time: I can't listen to audio books as I fall asleep every. single. time. I also find that I crave fiction as a sort of palate cleanse between heavier books.

So now to W&P: I'm closing in on the end of Part II. I'm truly struck by how the soldiers eagerly anticipate the battle. Then, when they're in the midst of it, they dissociate. The anticipation and reality of the battle don't match. How is it that they eagerly anticipate rather than dread the battle?

... True confession time: I can't listen to audio books as I fall asleep every. single. time.

I'm another who (almost always) either falls asleep while listening to an audio book or tunes out.  I've managed to listen to a couple in their entirety on long car drives.  (Be reassured that I'm not the driver!)  I've listened to the whole of Andy Weir's The Martian and to Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13

I have multiple books I read but they are dedicated to a certain time.

- one book for the morning

- one book before sleeping

- One book for in between the day (mostly non fiction)

- one slower book to read between books

Audiobooks are not in my system (yet?):

I don't drive long distances often and my family members like silence...

And I prefer music above Audiobooks I suppose :)

• Like 17

I am another with multiple books in progress. I always have one on my Kindle Fire which is something fairly fluffy in case I can't sleep. Right now the only paper books in the stack are some craft books and my extra W&P. I have a few books started on the Kindle along with W&P. All with very different settings. For me that's the key to keeping them separate. I don't read two paranormal books at once or two Fullerton's without mixing my characters. Right now most of my reading is light so I tend to dip into various books until I hit a "good" part and concentrate on the one book until I finish it.

I am back to listening to audiobooks which frequently are chosen because they were available. ;) Currently I have a Laura Willig which could be better but it's short. Waiting for W&P. I am currently trying to finish one quilt all by hand for a local show at the beginning of September and am panicking a bit. Current pace with no interruptions (always happen) means a mid August finish I think. So lots of audio and tv lately. I'm actually watching HP with dh and really watching it. Dh always sleeps through HP and hasn't read the books so he's a bit behind, last night he looked up and comment that the owls must be the mail service ....:lol: I have sat through (read through) these movies so many times with you and that bit just clicked! We have the Peter Davidson Dr. Who's out too.

• Like 16

Happy 4th of July to those in the US!

I had forgotten and couldn't figure out why dh wasn't in his Tuesday noon (our time) meeting. ;) Cloudy and overcast here with no barbeque celebrations in sight.

• Like 14

Happy 4th of July to those in the US!

I had forgotten and couldn't figure out why dh wasn't in his Tuesday noon (our time) meeting. ;) Cloudy and overcast here with no barbeque celebrations in sight.

We're starting the day with thunderstorms which lead me to wonder if it will literally rain on the parade.

Not that I am attending.  I really do hide from tourists this time of year.  :leaving:

• Like 11

The Crown family launched into Independence Day by traitorously though involuntarily waking up on British time, a few members making it worse by filling the wee hours with Redcoat writers like Roald Dahl and Patrick O'Brian. I took the opportunity to get underway with Tolstoy. This time around I'm seeing more of the novel's careful structuring. Without providing spoilers, I noticed (a) the opportunities for main character fatalities, and (b) who is in fact the first such. Also, and this is not a spoiler, I realized that W&P was briefly confusing for me on the first read because Tolstoy takes for granted that his readers are familiar with the battle of Austerlitz ("battle of the three emperors"), and so writes in plenty of ironic foreshadowing and provides battle descriptions from the confused ground-level viewpoint of the Russian soldiers, who unlike the reader (and Napoleon!) can't see the big picture and don't grasp the significance of certain geographical features. Which is to say, I strongly recommend reading something like Wikipedia's article on Austerlitz before getting to that part of the novel.

On the flight over, I sat next to a very young German soldier on his way for a military training program in my city, and we ended up discussing War and Peace, which he'd recently begun reading after taking a class in the Napoleonic Wars for his officers' training. I gather that -- rather the reverse of some of us! -- he was enduring the soap opera parts for the sake of the war portions.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 16

On the multi-book thing - like loesje, I read differently at different times of day. My main stack (4 or 5 books) I start in the morning and read as I have time throughout the day - usually a few sustained sessions, like before anyone else gets up. These are my heavier books. Sometime in the afternoon or evening I transition to my pleasure book, and usually read it for at least an hour or more before bed.I only read one of these at a time. Audiobooks I listen to while driving or while doing chores.

And like mumto2, I try and avoid reading two books from the same genre or that are similar at the same time. Right now I'm violating that a bit - I'm finishing up Karl Capek's War With the Newts and I started The Sirens of Titan. Different decades, different continents, different languages, different non-human participants, but there is something so similar about these two writers! I found myself getting a bit muddled and expecting to find a Newt on Mars, so I decided to finish Newts before persisting with Titan. That doesn't happen too often, since my categories are usually pretty distinct, but it's disruptive for sure. I don't have this problem mixing a history, a science, a novel, a health& fitness, and/or an educational book at the same time, typically.

• Like 17

No spoilers but I can't wait until Sunday to comment on the following from Volume I, Part 3:

He sensed the warmth of her body, the smell of her perfume, and the creaking of her corset as she breathed.

In all of my reading of classic and historic fiction, this may be the first time I read of "the creaking of her corset". 

Jane (who reads for details and not plot :D )

• Like 17

I usually have more than one book going at a time but like Rose, they're different categories. To me it's no different than watching several different tv shows and being able to keep up with the characters and story lines. Some (including my dh) say watching tv and reading are very different but to me books are my tv shows. I picture what's happening in the book as though I'm watching it all.

My multiple books are usually:

- a non-fiction book

- a mystery (my version of fluff/easy reading)

- a classic or literary fiction (sometimes one of each)

- an audio book - I consider them a category of their own regardless of genre

- my IRL book club book of the month

- sometimes a read-along book either from BaW or one of my Goodreads groups

Sometimes I'll have a long read, one that I know will take months to finish, even if I'm already reading another in its category.

• Like 16

I am back to listening to audiobooks which frequently are chosen because they were available. ;) Currently I have a Laura Willig which could be better but it's short. Waiting for W&P. I am currently trying to finish one quilt all by hand for a local show at the beginning of September and am panicking a bit. Current pace with no interruptions (always happen) means a mid August finish I think. So lots of audio and tv lately. I'm actually watching HP with dh and really watching it. Dh always sleeps through HP and hasn't read the books so he's a bit behind, last night he looked up and comment that the owls must be the mail service .... :lol: I have sat through (read through) these movies so many times with you and that bit just clicked! We have the Peter Davidson Dr. Who's out too.

The owl mail service bit is hilarious! I, um, haven't read any HP yet and haven't watched the movies ... but, perhaps after W&P, I'll finally read HP. Might even dip into Dr. Who.

We're starting the day with thunderstorms which lead me to wonder if it will literally rain on the parade.

Not that I am attending.  I really do hide from tourists this time of year.  :leaving:

Even though it is our last summer here, we too are hiding from the tourists. No parade for us this morning as we just didn't want to jostle for a parking space and chair spaces. We may head down to the beach this evening for fireworks.

The Crown family launched into Independence Day by traitorously though involuntarily waking up on British time, a few members making it worse by filling the wee hours with Redcoat writers like Roald Dahl and Patrick O'Brian. I took the opportunity to get underway with Tolstoy. This time around I'm seeing more of the novel's careful structuring. Without providing spoilers, I noticed (a) the opportunities for main character fatalities, and (b) who is in fact the first such. Also, and this is not a spoiler, I realized that W&P was briefly confusing for me on the first read because Tolstoy takes for granted that his readers are familiar with the battle of Austerlitz ("battle of the three emperors"), and so writes in plenty of ironic foreshadowing and provides battle descriptions from the confused ground-level viewpoint of the Russian soldiers, who unlike the reader (and Napoleon!) can't see the big picture and don't grasp the significance of certain geographical features. Which is to say, I strongly recommend reading something like Wikipedia's article on Austerlitz before getting to that part of the novel.

Thanks for the Wikipedia suggestion!

I finished War With the Newts, by the Czech writer Karel Capek. Written in 1937, this is maybe the original post-apocalyptic, dystopian satire. The satire is very much in the spirit of Swift or Voltaire. Man, he packs a lot in here: he takes down slavery, colonialism & fascism, and I realized by the end that he's also anticipating the human response to climate change. It's quite brilliant, and funny and sobering at the same time. A few quotes from late in the book, when the Newts are "reclaiming" large pieces of continental land and turning them into bays, with human-provided equipment, explosives, etc:

p. 340 "It is simply the logic of events; as if I could intervene. I did what I could; I warned them in time . . . I preached, don't let the Newts have arms and explosives, stop that hideous trade in Salamanders, well- you know what happened. They all had a thousand absolutely sound economical and political reasons why it's impossible. I'm not a politician or an economist; I can't change their opinions, can I? What is one to do? The earth will probably sink and drown; but at least it will be the result of generally acknowledged political and economic ideas, at least it will be accomplished with the help of the science, industry, and public opinion, with the application of all human ingenuity! No cosmic catastrophe, nothing but state, official, economic, and other causes. Nothing can be done to prevent it."

p. 338 "The sea covered everything at one time, and it will do again. That will be the end of the world. . . All for no purpose we ruin the whole world . . . I should only like, sighed the old gentleman, I should only like those children to forgive me for it."

• Like 14

No spoilers but I can't wait until Sunday to comment on the following from Volume I, Part 3:

In all of my reading of classic and historic fiction, this may be the first time I read of "the creaking of her corset".

Jane (who reads for details and not plot :D )

. I noticed that line as well, the agony Pierre felt between his physical urges and intellectual logic.
  • Like 9

In honor of the 4th of July, a one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

Rights of Man by Thomas Paine

"The Founding Father’s most influential work: an impassioned defense of democracy and revolution in the name of human rights.

Whatever is my right as a man is also the right of another; and it becomes my duty to guarantee as well as to possess.

In Rights of Man, Founding Father of the United States Thomas Paine makes a compelling case in favor of the French Revolution. Written in response to Edmund Burke’s highly critical Reflections on the Revolution in France, its forceful rebuke of aristocratic rule and persuasive endorsement of self-government made it one of the most influential political statements in history. Paine asserts that human rights are not granted by the government but inherent to man’s nature. He goes on to argue that the purpose of government is to protect these natural rights, and if a government fails to do so, its people are duty-bound to revolution.

Originally published in two parts, in 1791 and 1792, Rights of Man was a popular sensation in the United States, while in England, its incendiary views were seen as a threat to the Crown. For its erudite prose and rigorous argumentation, it remains a classic text of political thought."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I finished War With the Newts, by the Czech writer Karel Capek. Written in 1937, this is maybe the original post-apocalyptic, dystopian satire. The satire is very much in the spirit of Swift or Voltaire. Man, he packs a lot in here: he takes down slavery, colonialism & fascism, and I realized by the end that he's also anticipating the human response to climate change. It's quite brilliant, and funny and sobering at the same time. A few quotes from late in the book, when the Newts are "reclaiming" large pieces of continental land and turning them into bays, with human-provided equipment, explosives, etc:

While Karel Capek is probably best known for R.U.R., I want to mention his non-sci fi book, The Gardener's Year, which features delightful illustrations by his brother Josef.  This book would be a great gift for a gardener friend or an elderly person who misses those days of battling elements and pests!

• Like 9

And like mumto2, I try and avoid reading two books from the same genre or that are similar at the same time. Right now I'm violating that a bit - I'm finishing up Karl Capek's War With the Newts and I started The Sirens of Titan. Different decades, different continents, different languages, different non-human participants, but there is something so similar about these two writers!

Your comment reminded me of an article I read on Tor.com, so I had to check if your two titles were amongst those listed.  They're not, but perhaps you'll enjoy the article anyway.

Finding Those Books That Seem Made For Each Other  by Stubby the Rocket

"It came up in a meeting recently.

“I just finished reading A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and it felt like I was reading Firefly in book form.â€

“Oh that’s weird. I had the exact same thought about Killing Gravity.â€

Sometimes completely separate books just go together. If you like one you’re guaranteed to enjoy the other; maybe due to a similarity in tone, prose, plot, or a combination of elements. It’s an aspect of literature that remains difficult to articulate even though it happens so often. Some books were made for each other.

Sometimes these pairings are obvious. Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s Good Omens are so complementary that you should get a free copy of one if you buy the other. Sometimes these pairings are broad, like how loving Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings prepares you for your investment in Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time. And sometimes these pairings resonate only to your unique worldview, like the combination of Walter M. Miller, Jr.’s A Canticle for Leibowitz and Mary Doria Russell’s The Sparrow.

So now we’re curious: What books, comics, TV shows, movies do you feel were made for each other?..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

Your comment reminded me of an article I read on Tor.com, so I had to check if your two titles were amongst those listed.  They're not, but perhaps you'll enjoy the article anyway.

Finding Those Books That Seem Made For Each Other  by Stubby the Rocket

Regards,

Kareni

I did enjoy it, and added several to my TR list. Funny, several people mentioned pairings with The Secret History, which I really enjoyed.  I love pairing or clumping books for school, we do a lot of that. Next year's Dystopian lit study takes that to a whole 'nother level.

• Like 9

I'm having a hard time getting into The Nightingale. I usually like what this book club member picks and she and I often give each other book recommendations outside of book club. I think it might be the hype this book got when it came out. I tend to resist those kinds of books. The thing is though, I've barely started it so I feel like I'm not giving it a fair chance. Our meeting is a week from tonight.

• Like 14

Not a lot of reading last week because the grandgirl was here for HappyCamp. My grandmom name is Happy. wnk, wink  My dh and I introduced her to kayaking on a nearby lake. We had her paddle a bit, but ended up tying her kayak to my dh's so she could enjoy the lake. We went a couple of times and I look forward to her being here again soon.

Speaking of alligators...we were told as we put kayaks in the water the second time with Miss C that there is a rumor of a 7ft gator in the quiet cove area we love to go to. As it happens, I saw something slide into the water the previous time. Of course I talked myself out of it being an alligator until I heard the rumors. So we avoided that area and kayaked along some other areas. Isn't it enough that we have to worry about water moccasins??? Now gators...

We swam in our little pool, fed the koi at the Japanese gardens, had picnics, shot fireworks, and played with our dog. A great week. I did introduce her to Amelia Bedilia which she seemed to enjoy.

I did read 'Find Her' by Lisa Gardner. I know if I pick up a L.G. book, I will need time and space to finish it. Her books usually grip me. Sure enough I started this on a road trip to the family farm for the 4th weekend...and it was a good sneak off and catch a chapter here and there to break up all the family time.

It's gritty--be aware--I'd rate it R for content. Kidnapping, torture, etc.

For non-fiction this week...I'm working on delegation and building systems because my son now has his real estate license and will join me in my work. So I'm reviewing a few RE books on building teams this week. I hope this old dog can learn new tricks because I've always been a one-gal office. All this reminds me a bit of our homeschooling days.

Have a lovely and safe 4th of July!

• Like 15

I just finished reading a fantasy book of which I've seen not infrequent mention.  I enjoyed it.  Here's an entertaining 2006 review from the SBTB site (some language) ~

The Compass Rose, by Gail Dayton  by SB Sarah

Here's the book description from Amazon:

"The legends of the Godstruck were just that -- legends.

Until, in an attempt to defend her people, Captain Kallista Varyl called on the One for aid and was granted abilities such as no one had seen in centuries.

Now Kallista has been charged with a new destiny as one of the most powerful women in the land -- but her power is useless if it cannot be controlled.

Mastering her "Godstruck" abilities is the first step. The next, learning that she cannot unlock the secrets of the Compass Rose and defeat her nation's enemy alone. And finally she must stop a demon-possessed king . . ."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Another oft discussed BaW topic besides alligators is that of mermaids. The other day while strolling on the beach we encountered one!  She was a preteen wearing some like this. We often have some pretty crazy surf but our mermaid was lucky that day.  With small waves, she could rest in the sand as the waves came in.  (Not sure how practical these things are.  Is it just a costume or can you actually swim in them?)

ETA:  With the sharks that we have in our waters, I'm not sure how wise it is to disguise oneself as a large fish.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 15

The owl mail service bit is hilarious! I, um, haven't read any HP yet and haven't watched the movies ... but, perhaps after W&P, I'll finally read HP. Might even dip into Dr. Who.

I hugely prefer the HP books to the movies but the owls really are fabulous in the movies. I think you definitely need to see those! I am actually considering a reread of the series because so much is missing. I am actually feeling rather lost in the movies because I find the missing bits rather confusing.

I think you would enjoy the Doctor too! :)

We had a honey baked ham not gamon tonight. We told the dc's that was their celebration.

We actually have had barbeque party's here several years when the holiday falls on a weekend.

A couple that of years ago a major pub chain that we go to for dinner frequently had a huge Second of July celebration that we accidentally attended. Yes, they had the date completely wrong. We had to ask exactly what the holiday was and were told it was a popular American holiday. It was pretty funny because everyone there was clueless....wearing cowboy bootsvand hats.

. I noticed that line as well, the agony Pierre felt between his physical urges and intellectual logic.

I don't have Jane's corset quote but my audio book actually had a line about stiff corsets today....lol.

• Like 13

I finished Economics Through Everday Life. I think Butter was the one who mentioned it here? I don't love Economics as a subject, but I've finally embraced the fact that it's probably worth spending a semester on. This is a clear, serviceable introduction to the major topics that doesn't lean either left or right - it tries to present definition and let you make up your own mind. I think we'll use it along with Crash Course videos and Economix.

• Like 12

Regarding Finding Those Books That Seem Made For Each Other  by Stubby the Rocket:

I did enjoy it, and added several to my TR list.

Thanks, Kareni. It was fun to read both the article & the comments/suggestions by others.

I'm glad you both enjoyed the article.

Regarding Jane's comment about mermaids and "the preteen wearing some like this."

The ad states, "Very original mermaid tail for children with scales."  I'm left wondering where children without scales can purchase a tail.

A few enjoyable bookish posts ~

10 Best Dragon Books in Fantasy Fiction

28 Must-Read Fantasy Book Series

Ten Fantasy Drinking Establishments We Want to Patronize

How Much Beer Does it Take to Get a Hobbit Drunk?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I just finished a work of fiction which I quite enjoyed ~ 

Miss You: A Novel  by Kate Eberlen

"A wryly romantic debut novel with echoes of One Day that asks, what if you just walked by the love of your life, but didn’t even know it?

"TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE." Tess can’t get the motto from her mother’s kitchen knickknack out of her head, even though she’s in Florence on an idyllic vacation before starting university in London.

Gus is also visiting Florence, on a holiday with his parents seven months after tragedy shattered their lives. Headed to medical school in London, he’s trying to be a dutiful son but longs to escape and discover who he really is.

A chance meeting brings these eighteen-year-olds together for a brief moment—the first of many times their paths will crisscross as time passes and their lives diverge from those they’d envisioned. Over the course of the next sixteen years, Tess and Gus will face very different challenges and choices. Separated by distance and circumstance, the possibility of these two connecting once more seems slight.

But while fate can separate two people, it can also bring them back together again. . . ."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13

You've convinced me to give the multiple book thing a try.

Audiobook - for driving, kitchen chores, gardening - current book is All the Breaking Waves by Kerry Lonsdale

Non-Fiction - The Nature Fix by Florence Williams

Fiction - War & Peace

Non-Fiction - The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs

Yesterday was interesting. I began the audiobook while I was cooking for the holiday. After I was finished in the kitchen, I really struggled with switching to the e-book and continuing the story. It was a force of will to turn off the Kindle and pick up another book.

• Like 13

Now I have started reading Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. (The link shows it on the "All-TIME 100 Novels", where critics Lev Grossman and Richard Lacayo pick the 100 best English-language novels published since 1923—the beginning of TIME.)

830.jpg

I have read few on their 100 list, but am pleased to see Slaughterhouse Five on there.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of this; it's on my Dystopian list.

My friend's daughter has one of these. She is 12 & a very good swimmer. I haven't seen her swimming in it, but my friend has said she can swim easily with it. (They are near a lake where they routinely swim.) Personally, I think it might make it harder to swim, but that doesn't seem to be the case for my friend's daughter.

Between last night & most of today, I finished the 4th Harry Potter book. While I loved the first three, I enjoyed this one the most. I think it's for a few reasons. First, Rowling didn't feel the need to give the background story anymore (books 2 & 3 did have quick overview sections, I guess to clue in readers who might not have read the original book); this time around, I think it is assumed you know the backstory enough just to jump into this one. Second, the storyline continues to get more complex/less juvenile with each book & this one is a turning point from the first three. (I know our library shelves the first three in the juvenile section & the remaining four in the young adult section.) And, the characters are getting more fully fleshed-out, becoming deeper, having to make decisions, etc....

So, even though I'm not a series person, I will continue to echo practically everyone else & heap praise on this series of books, especially for its story & character development over the span of books.

5 stars from me.

I commented on gr that this is the one that got me into the HP series: I was stuck in a motel in Missouri with an infant and a toddler in the snow. After putting the babies to bed I flipped on the TV (low volume) and this was the only thing on. I watched it and was enthralled and impressed. I had tried the first HP book years before, pre-kids, and had abandoned it, thinking, What do I want to read a kids book for? (if I only knew how many kid's books were in my future . . .  ;) ) but after being so impressed with the movie I gave it another try, and got hooked on the series.  

• Like 12

Rose, congratulations to Shannon!  Such a fun read, and so encouraging.

Regarding reading serially, multiply, or monogamously...I am in the middle camp usually, not even caring if I have many plates of the same genre spinning in the air at once.  I think it's how I (have been but not lately) put so many in the "read" camp in the last few years.  But now?  I am TRYING very hard to just have TWO books going. It's so hard because I get distracted...

Squirrel!

...by leaping between all. the. good. books. 

So it's just me, Middlemarch, and 1491.  Middlemarch: think this is my 3rd time through it...it is such a different book at each reading.  Could be the place I am in my life when I'm reading it, but characters I had no patience for previously have my sympathy now.  I thought this with W&P too of course, especially since it's much bigger in scope, but...Pierre always had my ear and my affection, each time.

• Like 15

Rose, I keep meaning to say congratulations to Shannon! What a fun read that was.

Between last night & most of today, I finished the 4th Harry Potter book. While I loved the first three, I enjoyed this one the most. I think it's for a few reasons. First, Rowling didn't feel the need to give the background story anymore (books 2 & 3 did have quick overview sections, I guess to clue in readers who might not have read the original book); this time around, I think it is assumed you know the backstory enough just to jump into this one. Second, the storyline continues to get more complex/less juvenile with each book & this one is a turning point from the first three. (I know our library shelves the first three in the juvenile section & the remaining four in the young adult section.) And, the characters are getting more fully fleshed-out, becoming deeper, having to make decisions, etc....

I've often heard that if you want to read HP but can't seem to get into it, start with the 4th book. That seems strange to me because as you said, it's the first one that doesn't give you all the backstory, but apparently it works for many. 

Mermaids - While she can't swim in it, I crocheted a mermaid tail blanket for my then 7.5 yo great-niece the Christmas before last. It was a special request as she was really into mermaids at the time.

• Like 12

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

Life in the Iron Mills by Rebecca Harding Davis

"This shocking depiction of the lives of impoverished Welsh miners in the American North was one of the first novels to expose the brutal realities facing the nation’s poor. Rebecca Harding Davis casts an unflinching gaze into the lives of the destitute, drunk, and desperate in a work that was controversial for its honesty, but popular for its adept storytelling.

The story follows Hugh Wolfe, a proud and educated yet desperately poor laborer in an iron mill, and his cousin Deborah, who breaks the law for a chance at a better life for Hugh. If they keep the ill-gotten money, the pair could transcend their hardship, and Hugh could become the talented artist he was born to be; however, keeping the money would mean sacrificing the morals they’ve so stridently adhered to all their lives.

First published in 1861, Life in the Iron Mills became notorious for its merciless descriptions of underclass suffering. As relevant today as it was in the nineteenth century, this is a classic, hypnotic tragedy."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

You've convinced me to give the multiple book thing a try.

Audiobook - for driving, kitchen chores, gardening - current book is All the Breaking Waves by Kerry Lonsdale

Non-Fiction - The Nature Fix by Florence Williams

Fiction - War & Peace

Non-Fiction - The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs

Yesterday was interesting. I began the audiobook while I was cooking for the holiday. After I was finished in the kitchen, I really struggled with switching to the e-book and continuing the story. It was a force of will to turn off the Kindle and pick up another book.

Am I understanding correctly that you have both the audio and ebook for your current book?  If I were in the flow of the story, I could see having a hard time switching.  I only ever have the audio for my audiobook, so while I sometimes sit a bit longer in the driveway when I come home to finish a section, when I get out of the car, there is no temptation to continue, as I'd have to continue in audio, and I can't just sit and listen to an audio - I have to be doing something else - so switching is easier.  I don't make myself switch books on principle - if I have a book I'm really into, I'll finish it at a go.  But other books don't suck me in the same way or just take more effort to sustain reading (W&P, a lot of nonfiction), and switching to something else rather than just stopping reading at all gets me through more.

I find having my nonfiction on ebook works very well, as the ebook is what I'm most likely to have with me when I'm out and just have a few minutes to read, and nonfiction is easier for me to dip in and out of.  And for some reason I seem to read nonfiction much faster in ebook form.  No idea why.

There isn't a right or wrong way to do this!  Figure out what works for you. :)  For me, having books on different media increase the potential reading time I have, by allowing me to read where I normally wouldn't be able to read a book (driving), or where I wouldn't have one because I forgot to pack one (standing in line, or waiting for a kid, or otherwise I have a few minutes where I would have scrolled around the internet but now I can read instead).  My ebooks are on my phone, so I can't forget them. :)

• Like 10

Am I understanding correctly that you have both the audio and ebook for your current book? <snip>

Yes, for Kindle Prime reading there are e-book with audio options at no extra charge. I may not have a lot of listening options but I can usually find one or two each month.  It makes it nice since I can transition between listening and reading quite easily. When I do switch a little message pops ups that reads "The furthest you have listened is 3475. Would you like to begin reading at that point?" or vice versa. I find myself reading the e-book with a similar voice as the audio reader. 

All of my audiobooks are on my Kindle and I can plug that into the car or a portable speaker and listen as I drive or do house or yardwork.

• Like 8

I have been known to go back and forth between audio and ebook. No problems and sometimes it means you can move on when a story is a bit bogged down.

I can read faster than most of the narrators read, unless I put it on 2X or 2.5X but then the audio sounds funny, especially when the reader has a thick accent. I have also rewound (is that the correct term?) an audio book and listened to passages more than once.

• Like 9

I can read faster than most of the narrators read, unless I put it on 2X or 2.5X but then the audio sounds funny, especially when the reader has a thick accent. I have also rewound (is that the correct term?) an audio book and listened to passages more than once.

My audio books are all from the library on overdrive. I fin the Kindle prime interesting and pretty tempting. I just go by chapters. I have no idea how to play them faster but suspect I would find it hard to listen to if I did. It's easier just to read a few chapters before returning to the audiobook. I read far quicker also.

• Like 7

I've never been able to go back and forth between ebook and audio book. Though I enjoy both formats, once I start a book I prefer to keep reading (or listening as the case may be) in the same format. I usually ignore the "buy the audio book/kindle book for only" offers unless it's a book I will likely revisit and wouldn't mind having in more than one format. While I have no problems with having multiple books going at once, I finish in whatever format I began.

I will sometimes listen to a book that I couldn't get into in the print version or vice versa, but to me that's different. If I switch because I think I'll like it better in a different format, I start again from the beginning.

So, while some of you are amazed at those of us who can have several books going at once, I'm amazed at those of you who can go back and forth in different formats of the same book. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

Stopping by to ask all the BaW aunties to send good thoughts to the weather gods in Southern Japan. My ds texted yesterday that the streets were beginning to flood around him, but haven't heard from him since --  though we aren't worried as he isn't in the specific towns mentioned so far in the news stories. It was just a surprise to see a news story then realize, oh, that is where my son lives!!

At the half way point in War and Peace and otherwise busy with life. Will check in later!

• Like 11

Stopping by to ask all the BaW aunties to send good thoughts to the weather gods in Southern Japan. My ds texted yesterday that the streets were beginning to flood around him, but haven't heard from him since -- though we aren't worried as he isn't in the specific towns mentioned so far in the news stories. It was just a surprise to see a news story then realize, oh, that is where my son lives!!

At the half way point in War and Peace and otherwise busy with life. Will check in later!

:grouphug:

• Like 6

Yes, for Kindle Prime reading there are e-book with audio options at no extra charge. I may not have a lot of listening options but I can usually find one or two each month.  It makes it nice since I can transition between listening and reading quite easily. When I do switch a little message pops ups that reads "The furthest you have listened is 3475. Would you like to begin reading at that point?" or vice versa. I find myself reading the e-book with a similar voice as the audio reader. 

All of my audiobooks are on my Kindle and I can plug that into the car or a portable speaker and listen as I drive or do house or yardwork.

If I had that option, I'd probably use it.  I get all my e-and audiobooks from Overdrive though.  I'm too cheap to buy an ereader or the books that go with them. 

• Like 6

That is exquisite!  Your first crochet project?  Wow!

That's what I thought! My first crochet project when my aunt taught me years ago was just a plain rectangle using one color - a scarf. When I decided to take it up again years later and needed to re-learn, I also just made a solid color scarf. Then a few solid color dishcloths. Then a striped blanket. IOW, no intricate designs or yarn changes until I got the hang of it. Crochet is actually pretty easy, but it can get tricky when making a project with numerous designs and color changes. 

That's beautiful loesje!

• Like 7