Menu

#(&%*# Ebay

Moxie

I'm 100% never selling on Ebay ever again.

Listed an item.  It sold within minutes which I thought was odd.  By the end of the day the buyer asked for a refund.  Whatever.

Re-listed the item.  I got multiple messages from people asking me to sell it to them for less than the Buy It Now price.  Ignored all those.  Item sold and was paid for 2 days later.  Within an hour of being paid for I got a message asking when it would ship so I hustle to the PO and ship the damn thing.  Her screen name AND address are the name of a movie character, which I found odd and I even told DH that this was not going to end well. 

She should have gotten the item yesterday (a fertility monitor and pee sticks, unopened).  I get a refund request today saying "it doesn't work right, all my other monitors say I'm ovulating and this one says I'm not so it is clearly broken".  Ok, so she opened the sticks.  And didn't read any of the directions (it works by showing when hormones change over time). 

Is there any way I can come out ok on this??  Do I have no choice but to refund this idiot?

ETA:: Great.  Reading through the 'return' section and it says the seller is responsible for shipping because the item is being returned because it is broken.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 1

That is terrible.

I agree with PP-this kind of nonsense is why I don't sell anymore.  All the power is now in the hands of the buyer/scammer, and even honest sellers are getting beaten to a pulp.  

The only ones coming out of it with profit are the big sellers, which seems to be Ebay's goal.

Try the Ebay community and see if anyone has any ideas for ways this ends in your favor.

:grouphug: 

• Like 1

I'm done with it. $55 is not with the hassle. I refunded her money and told her she was a sad scammer. She responded that she is praying for me. Loser. Lesson learned.

I am so sorry :( gggrrrr...I loathe ebay. I loved it back in the early 2000s. My husband and I supported ourselves as college students by selling vintage toys. It was amazing. Now it doesn't matter what the buyer does they will side with them. Before I finally decided to stop selling on there I was scammed so many times by buyers. You are pretty much backed into a corner to refund and pay return shipping :(

• Like 1

Yeah, ebay has totally stuck it to the seller. The last time I was selling over there, the buyer said the books smelled musty; my husband said they smelled new to him. I instantly refunded her the money. When I got the books back, the buyer hadn't even pack them properly, just threw them into a box, so when they arrived, the pages were damaged. **sigh**

Edited by JBJones

I've never even tried selling things on ebay, with all the horror stories I've heard of sellers getting screwed. I stick to the FB sales group for my area and sell things locally. It might take longer, but it's pretty hard for someone to claim they didn't receive something when I stood there and handed it to them in person after they've inspected it.

• Like 1

My brother and his husband were scammed out of a very expensive computer by an eBay buyer. It was convoluted but the end result is that the buyer ended up with a high end MacBook Pro and my brother ended up having the refund deducted from his PayPal account for a "broken computer" which the buyer didn't return.

Yep, it appears that all the buyer has to do is say "arrived broken" and the seller is out the funds and probably the item. Everyone needs to know that before selling on eBay.

this is interesting, because when I've reported something broken/damaged, I've had to show proof via pictures.

I've done it twice, once for a pitcher (which really ticked me off, she did a crap job of packing it and it had a huge crack down the side.  from the top down to where the bottom of the handle was attached.), and once for a sterling fork that had apparently gone down someone's garbage disposal. (and it wasn't mine as it came out of the box like that.  I'd ordered several pieces, and it was the only one returned. I don't know why they even shipped it.)

I should have returned some marble chair rail - he sent me the wrong one.  I even saw it in his listings that he'd deducted it from the wrong one.  (re: not the one I ordered.)

I assume the person with the pitcher was able to collect on insurance. she didn't bother having me return it.  I can't put liquid in it, which sort of defeats the purpose of a pitcher.

Edited by gardenmom5

I used to sell in the early 2000's and did well. Last time I sold something a few months ago, the lady claimed it arrived damaged and not as described. She left me nasty mean feedback. Then she claimed it never arrived and was lost in the mail!? I had to refund her. It was ridiculous, and eBay left the liars feedback!?