Menu

Deep tissue massage pain

DawnM

Holy cow.

I had a deep tissue massage and she worked mostly on my neck and jaw and said I hold stress there and that I must clench my jaw a lot.

It is a week later and my jaw is still in such pain from the massage!

Other than taking some ibuprofen, do you have any other suggestions?

Edited by DawnM

:grouphug:

No advice, but I hope you figure something out soon.

I once accidentally had a partial (I made them stop and do a normal one) deep tisue massage (friend booked the appointments) - all I will say is NEVER again!! I adore massages for relaxation and restoration, but deep tissue is just torture.

I get a lot of massages to manage a chronic condition. My condition results in massive muscle tension knots sparked by joint instability, concentrated the most in my back and neck but also in other joints throughout the body. I usually request a male therapist or a female only if she has strong hands, and I always have to have deep tissue work. 

The pain you are describing is not normal. 

While I am often a little sore after a massage, I have never had ongoing pain for a week after a deep tissue massage. The only time I have had ongoing pain was when a chiropractor actually injured my connective tissue by overstretching an injured joint. I had to wear a brace and have PT.

I think you should get checked by a either a chiropractor or an orthopedic doctor.

• Like 2

I have not called her.  She is actually a friend who does this for a living, but she lives on the other side of the country.  She was visiting.  

she said the source of the pain is that I clench my jaw from stress.  But I don't even know I do it.  So, I am not sure how to help it if I don't even know, even now, when I try to think about it.  I still have never known myself to do that.

I'm assuming that she bruised or injured your temporomandibular joint.  I would take the maximum amount of Aleve (or the pain reliever of your choice) to take down any inflammation.  Then I would also switch off and from ice to heat - ie.  20 min. (or what you can tolerate) with a wrapped ice pack and then 20 min. with a heating pad on the area. 

• Like 1

I get a lot of massages to manage a chronic condition. My condition results in massive muscle tension knots sparked by joint instability, concentrated the most in my back and neck but also in other joints throughout the body. I usually request a male therapist or a female only if she has strong hands, and I always have to have deep tissue work. 

The pain you are describing is not normal. 

While I am often a little sore after a massage, I have never had ongoing pain for a week after a deep tissue massage. The only time I have had ongoing pain was when a chiropractor actually injured my connective tissue by overstretching an injured joint. I had to wear a brace and have PT.

I think you should get checked by a either a chiropractor or an orthopedic doctor.

I'm assuming that she bruised or injured your temporomandibular joint.  I would take the maximum amount of Aleve (or the pain reliever of your choice) to take down any inflammation.  Then I would also switch off and from ice to heat - ie.  20 min. (or what you can tolerate) with a wrapped ice pack and then 20 min. with a heating pad on the area. 

:iagree: with both above! I get deep tissue massages and Thai massages somewhat often, and I've never been sore more than a day or two later. I would do as Jean suggests and if you don't have some relief over the weekend I would be at a doctor first thing Monday. If they can't get you in, as last resort call your dentist! 

I once had a deep tissue massage trigger a horrible pain. I could barely walk for three days. Or, rather, I could walk, but I couldn't transition from position to position. Getting up, sitting back down, etc... all horrible.

I'm not sure other than taking the maximum dose of painkillers and waiting it out what you can do. If it persists much longer, I'd see a doctor.

I know the massage therapist is your friend... but she needs to hear the feedback that what she did caused pain. Otherwise she'll repeat it to someone else. You can be gentle about it.

Could it have triggered a muscle spasm? I've had chiropractic do that, especially when it has been injured or held in tension for a long tome.

Can you pinpoint the pain? Specifically where? Is it constant or with certain movement? Have you ever felt this pain before? Is it muscle as in when you open your mouth and chew? Is it at or around the ear (TMJ attachment).

I'm a massage therapist and agree that this isn't normal for deep tissue massage in broader areas. However, the head/neck and attached muscles and tendons operate a little differently than the broad dense muscles of say the back or legs. particularly if she mentioned that you have a lot of dysfunction in that area… it could have triggered/awakened issues, or she may have actually given you more motion in that area. Or, it could be referral pain from an activated triggerpoints.

having said that, I would Google muscles of the face or anatomy of the neck/jaw, and find a way to determine exactly what is hurting.

And then I would call your friend worked on you, and go from there…

Edited by LarlaB
  • Like 1

Can you pinpoint the pain? Specifically where? Is it constant or with certain movement? Have you ever felt this pain before? Is it muscle as in when you open your mouth and chew? Is it at or around the ear (TMJ attachment).

I'm a massage therapist and agree that this isn't normal for deep tissue massage in broader areas. However, the head/neck and attached muscles and tendons operate a little differently than the broad dense muscles of say the back or legs. particularly if she mentioned that you have a lot of dysfunction in that area… it could have triggered/awakened issues, or she may have actually given you more motion in that area. Or, it could be referral pain from an activated triggerpoints.

having said that, I would Google muscles of the face or anatomy of the neck/jaw, and find a way to determine exactly what is hurting.

And then I would call your friend worked on you, and go from there…

The pain is right where the upper and lower jaw attach, on both sides.

• Like 1

I would see a really good chiro.  if that was where she focused - she easily could have messed something up.

for starters, a "really good" chiro, will really feel if something's messed up and work only on that  - and NOT "just snap everything".

I've had a number of deep tissues massages - they're the only kind that would relax me.  (and a few massages where the masseuse couldn't do a deep tissue massage.)   and she's worked on muscles I was certain were bones from how hard they were.  (nope - it's a muscle.)

I tried a true shiatsu massage.  i. will.  not. go. back. to deep tissue.  one thing he said is because of the circulatory system - it's very important that both sides be worked - not just one, as it can mess up circulation.