Menu

Baby shower etiqette question

Tranquility7

Baby shower etiquette  

63 members have voted

1. 1. So what should we give?

• $200 stroller system at the shower - they will be thrilled!
    • Something smaller at the shower, and the stroller system in private
    • Other (please comment!)

Definitely stroller / system. She will be so happy to know that large need is taken care of. What types of things do you usually make that are gender specific? You could make simple rag burp cloths in neutral colors if you are a sewer, or neutral thank you cards for her to send if you are a papercrafter, or an IOU for something specific once the baby is born once you know the gender.

I voted for giving the stroller at the shower. Since I worry about things like this too, I thought that perhaps giving an expensive gift might be seen as "showing somebody else up," if there are people there who think that way. But, with the shower next week, if someone else was counting on getting them that big gift, it would have been purchased already.  Mostly though, I think the parents-to-be will be thrilled. So, bring the stroller, and after the baby is born, you will have an opportunity to give them your little handmade gender-specific gift.

A big/expensive gift at a baby shower won't be out of place from parents and parents-in-laws.

Since I worry about things like this too, I thought that perhaps giving an expensive gift might be seen as "showing somebody else up," if there are people there who think that way.

My parents are more financially comfortable than my in-laws. So my parents paid for the crib and bought us a stroller when my oldest was 2 months old.

For my mom's family, the maternal grandparents buy the stroller, my dad's family couldn't care less who gift the stroller, while for my in-laws family a stroller is considered a luxury and my husband had to tell his mom off for her comments.

ETA:

My parents paid for the Maclaren Techno XT Stroller, Medieval Blue/Silver that I wanted for use on city streets and malls. It is showing a price of $369 on Amazon now. They also bought a Graco Jogger for strolling which shows a price of $129 online now.

Edited by Arcadia

Because it's physically large, I might "give" it to them by wrapping something small (booties, a onesie, a hat, a bear, etc...) and enclosing a note or a picture of it or something but actually just have it shipped to them. Seems simpler to my Amazon trained brain, but would also have the added bonus of less "stuff" and be a little less ostentatious at the shower itself, if that makes sense.

• Like 5

do what you want to do.   because you are the mil - you can give a much more expensive gift, and other people won't feel "awkward" because they didn't spend that much.  I gave my dd a kitchen aid mixer for her shower gift.  not even my mil (her grandmother) spent more than $40   if you are uncomfortable giving an expensive gift in front of other people - give something smaller.   

Because it's physically large, I might "give" it to them by wrapping something small (booties, a onesie, a hat, a bear, etc...) and enclosing a note or a picture of it or something but actually just have it shipped to them. Seems simpler to my Amazon trained brain, but would also have the added bonus of less "stuff" and be a little less ostentatious at the shower itself, if that makes sense.

This is what I would do.

My mom, step mom, and MIL gave us more expensive gifts at my baby shower for my 1st child.

Wait until you know the gender and baby's name before giving a handmade gift, even if that means you don't give it until several weeks after baby is born. My kids are 14 and 12, and I have saved some of those special handmade gifts from when they were babies. Since we didn't choose either of our children's names until after they were born, I know those handmade gifts couldn't have been given until after the baby was born each time, and the timing of the gift didn't matter at all.