Menu

Update in post 1. Weight watchers

Scarlett

Great! But her step-son is a 16 yo boy. 30 might as well be 130.

Not to completely disagree but I think that would depend on the teenager.  My DS 15, prefers adults to teens and would feel more comfortable talking to adults about weight loss and other such things.  Adults tend to more encouraging and less judgmental ( most of his friends are over 21).   

• Like 4

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DS was 15 1/2 and 5'8 weighed 210. He was having trouble fitting into size 36 pants. We bought him a bike for Christmas but gave it to him a few weeks early (he really wanted to get active). He tried that for several weeks (until around Christmas when it got a bit cold). He didn't lose anything. Instead of getting discouraged he went on a diet. He tried several things but what worked the best was simple calorie counting. he weighed everything! In 2 months he lost 30 pounds (so down to 180). He stuck to a 1500-1800 calorie diet with Sundays off (he still stayed under 2200). He knew it would be short term, I put a 2 month limit on it. He was back into a 32 waist, looks and feels great. He runs and bikes almost every day. He started to diet a couple weeks ago wit the intention of losing another 10-20 pounds (he'd gained back around 3-5 of the previous loss). He's now at 170 and I'm cutting him off at 165. This is the best and easiest time to try to lose weight and for DS knowing that it would only be for 1-2 months (so similar to wintering) really helped, also having the day off made a big difference.

That is amazing. Good for him.

• Like 1

1. There are a few teenage boys who post to the WW Connect platform.

2. He shouldn't join unless he's excited about it. This is not something that anyone, but especially a teenager, should be pressured in any way to do.

3. Is he eating many (or ANY) free points foods like non-starchy veggies and fruit? That breakfast seems huge and I eat a lot of food and a lot of points. I would prioritize adding healthy foods to his diet and exercise to his life instead of dieting.

4. This is an area where his dad needs to be his main support. I don't think it's helpful for the dynamic you have described between yourself and your stepson to be his weight loss or healthy eating mentor. It could potentially be quite toxic.

He is not a kid who gets excited about much. He very much stuffs how he feels about things.

He does eat the fruit I buy especially if there is no ice cream in the house. And I serve a good vegetable with every supper and a lot of it. We already eat what I consider to be a medium to high healthy diet. But no matter how healthy if you eat too much you will keep gaining weight.

I am curious why you think I can't be a source of encouragement to my step son. His dad is supportive too but I am with dss more. He probably talks to me more than he does his dad. For instance he told me yesterday if I could take him to the doctor. He has a welt type rash on him that he is convinced is staff or mercer. I asked him how long he had it and he didn't know. I asked him if he had told his mom or dad about it and he said no. So I will be taking him to the doctor next week. I couldn't look at the rash which he said was on his thigh and side because we were driving down the road to meet up with his mom. So if he would tell me that why can't I help him with weight loss?

• Like 2

That's great! Congratulations to your ds for not only losing the weight, but for his dedication to sticking to his diet and exercise programs -- and for continuing to keep track of his weight so he could adjust his eating habits again when he noticed the scale going up a few pounds. That takes a lot of willpower!

You must be so proud of him! :hurray:

I am very proud.  He's done so much this year, he's working harder at school, he's taken charge of a few things that has given him a bunch of confidence, so much that he doesn't think he needs mothering (or nagging as he calls it) any more, lol.

• Like 5

I've just seen too many family relationships go sour over teens and dieting. A lot of time the parents think they are helping, but the child feels a lot of pressure and stress about their weight from their parents that they don't articulate.

I'm not saying don't help, but a diet is something he needs to do for himself/be invested in.

I tend to agree with Moxie that focusing on fitness (perhaps something you can ALL do), and healthy food is better than aiming for calorie restriction. Doubly so since he's not gung ho for it.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 6

I've just seen too many family relationships go sour over teens and dieting. A lot of time the parents think they are helping, but the child feels a lot of pressure and stress about their weight from their parents that they don't articulate.

I'm not saying do help, but a diet is something he needs to do for himself/be invested in.

I tend to agree with Moxie that focusing on fitness (perhaps something you can ALL do), and healthy food is better than aiming for calorie restriction. Doubly so since he's not gung ho for it.

Unfortunately fitness is not something Dh can do with him. Dh will be having a knee replacement and back surgery in the next few months. Ds and dss are doing a lot of walking with friends. And I do not believe he can lose weight without cutting back on his food intake.

I think it is a critical health issue at this point. I can't imagine that we should pussy foot around the issue.

• Like 2

I'm not saying do help, but a diet is something he needs to do for himself/be invested in.

He isn't gung ho for it but he isn't gung ho against it. My conversation with him yesterday was the first about the topic in months.

Obviously no one can force him to lose weight. But Dh and I agree we cannot just ignore the situation.

• Like 1

Unfortunately fitness is not something Dh can do with him. Dh will be having a knee replacement and back surgery in the next few months. Ds and dss are doing a lot of walking with friends. And I do not believe he can lose weight without cutting back on his food intake.

I think it is a critical health issue at this point. I can't imagine that we should pussy foot around the issue.

IMO, unless you are a doctor treating a weight related disease, pussy footing around a weight issue is ALWAYS the way to go. Gentle encouragement, being a good influence and teaching him proper nutrition are the best ways to help him. Again, imo.

• Like 4

IMO, unless you are a doctor treating a weight related disease, pussy footing around a weight issue is ALWAYS the way to go. Gentle encouragement, being a good influence and teaching him proper nutrition are the best ways to help him. Again, imo.

i have been a good influence and I buy good foods and do teach proper nutrition.

But I don't pussy foot around about anything, yet I seem to be the one he brings his concerns to.

So I don't know. I will be curious to hear what the doc says.

• Like 2

Diet plans like WW promote yo-yoing. For a boy, I'd get him involved with the CrossFit lifestyle where it's not about counting calories/points, etc. but rather clean eating plus fitness.

I support a long-term program that will teach both healthy portions AND include the fitness aspect.  Being a part of a physical activity program that will bring a person off the "food only" focus, and draw them into the possibility of being active for life seems like a much better option than WW. Sure, the food restriction will help with weight loss effectively, but a balance of filling a young person's time and energy with something really positive and tangible, where they can meet others working toward being stronger, doing more with their bodies, is exciting. It seems like a much better fit than WW with mom, as nice and supportive as mom is. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I support a long-term program that will teach both healthy portions AND include the fitness aspect. Being a part of a physical activity program that will bring a person off the "food only" focus, and draw them into the possibility of being active for life seems like a much better option than WW. Sure, the food restriction will help with weight loss effectively, but a balance of filling a young person's time and energy with something really positive and tangible, where they can meet others working toward being stronger, doing more with their bodies, is exciting. It seems like a much better fit than WW with mom, as nice and supportive as mom is. ;)

I might agree with that if the weight loss needed was 20 pounds. But when it is 100 or more I believe it needs serious intervention. I am actually shocked that anyone thinks otherwise.

• Like 2

I might agree with that if the weight loss needed was 20 pounds. But when it is 100 or more I believe it needs serious intervention. I am actually shocked that anyone thinks otherwise.

Honestly, you might want to look into bariatric surgery, specifically a gastric sleeve.  (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy)  Far more likely to have long term, significant weight loss.  I had one eight years ago.  It is considered a very safe surgery for teens as there is no malabsorption and less nutritional complications.  Plus, if needed, it's easy to revise in future (not undo, but add a malabsorptive part.)    It's something on the radar for my son, but we want to wait until he's a little older.

• Like 1

You say he needs to lose 100 pounds. He's 6'2 and has a BMI of 37.5. That means he's somewhere around 290. If he has a muscular build though, he could be fit with low body fat even if his BMI was between 25 and 29. (So in the 200-230 range.) 60 pounds might be a more attainable and less daunting goal than 100.

• Like 3

You say he needs to lose 100 pounds. He's 6'2 and has a BMI of 37.5. That means he's somewhere around 290. If he has a muscular build though, he could be fit with low body fat even if his BMI was between 25 and 29. (So in the 200-230 range.) 60 pounds might be a more attainable and less daunting goal than 100.

Yes, as a matter of fact that is the number I threw out to him. 60 ish pounds. It does sound better than 100.

• Like 2

Honestly, you might want to look into bariatric surgery, specifically a gastric sleeve. (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) Far more likely to have long term, significant weight loss. I had one eight years ago. It is considered a very safe surgery for teens as there is no malabsorption and less nutritional complications. Plus, if needed, it's easy to revise in future (not undo, but add a malabsorptive part.) It's something on the radar for my son, but we want to wait until he's a little older.

How old is your son? Do they really do surgery on teens? I agree though that it is a serious situation.

Well, most programs suggest to start with losing 5% or 10% of body weight to begin. It is seen as a manageable goal. Once that first goal is achieved, a second goal can be set.

Well sure. Attainable goals are good. So 10% would be 30 pounds.

I don't think so. Dss told me his brother used diet pills. I was shocked and told dss I did not want him to do that. He said he didn't want to either.

That is worrisome, but I don't think doctors prescribe diet pills like the old methamphetamine kind that were so hard on our mother's generation. I think new apatite suppressants are much safer. Not as effective, but more safe. 

• Like 1

I am thinking long-term in my approach. The problem with diet-only, is that maintaining weight over the decades is really the main issue. Sure you can bring a teen boy to WW and possibly lose 60 lbs, but then what? With a life-long fitness, along with healthy eating, a teen stands a much better chance of staying at a healthy weight for life. And weight isn't the only health issue your ds is probably facing. Improving his aerobic fitness and strength just feels great and is so beneficial for preventing many health problems.

• Like 3

I am thinking long-term in my approach. The problem with diet-only, is that maintaining weight over the decades is really the main issue. Sure you can bring a teen boy to WW and possibly lose 60 lbs, but then what? With a life-long fitness, along with healthy eating, a teen stands a much better chance of staying at a healthy weight for life. And weight isn't the only health issue your ds is probably facing. Improving his aerobic fitness and strength just feels great and is so beneficial for preventing many health problems.

Yep. And whatever method he chooses, it needs to be a sustainable change of habits. Many people (especially younger men) don't find point-counting sustainable long-term although it is a great way to become aware of what you are eating in the short-term.

And ... regardless of weight ... losing 30 lbs and keeping it off is going to be a lot better than losing 100 and putting it back on. 

Making 'fitness friends' who are his age or a bit older really helps with the peer support to keep the motivation going after the first flush of "hey the numbers are going down" starts to fade. Fitness groupies can be (although they're not always) tremendously supportive of even very large people who are chugging along and trying to power through. 

Side note, but a really interesting story about a former extremely heavy internet troll turned fitness enthusiast after an attempt to troll a bodybuilding site went awry. http://www.today.com/news/700-pound-online-bully-transforms-his-life-help-those-he-t54476

• Like 3

Nutritionist and the Y.

My son's crowd learned to lift as part of high school PE, the Y can set your son up.

The Y here has Fantastic rates for teens $150 a year for his age, and that includes weight room,exercise bikes,running track and pool.

This is one where mom needs to stock good choices, but let him learn on his own terms. Lead fitness and health by example. Your lad will appreciate the right nutritionist, and meet peers at the Y who are in to healthy, fit bodies. Also will experiment and choose his lifetime sport.

Edited by Heigh Ho

I don't know. After watching several episodes of My 600 Pound Life, I am not sure that leaving it totally up to him is the right thing to do. She is talking about some who is 100lbs overweight not 20 pounds

Yes, the boy has to be the one to make the decision to lose weight, but it can really be helpful to have strong support at home.

My thoughts

WW is on every good way for him to track what he is eating and see the differences in diffrerent food. The point system is not magic, but it is a quick easy way to see that spinach is a better choice that say mashed potatoes.

Other programs work in similar ways. It doesn't really matter which program/app he uses. A nutritionist could give him a meal plan as well.

If he is eating healthy foods but just too much of them, can you pre-plate for everyone, and only serve the plates food?

Yes, losing and gaining back is not ideal, but it is better than not trying at all.

Sometimes losing weight can be the motivator to be more active. It is a lot easier to be physically active when a person is not so overweight. After I lost 50 pounds through changing my diet, many of my aches and pains went away and it is much easier and more fun to be physically active now.

• Like 5

I don't know. After watching several episodes of My 600 Pound Life, I am not sure that leaving it totally up to him is the right thing to do. She is talking about some who is 100lbs overweight not 20 pounds

Yes, the boy has to be the one to make the decision to lose weight, but it can really be helpful to have strong support at home.

My thoughts

WW is on every good way for him to track what he is eating and see the differences in diffrerent food. The point system is not magic, but it is a quick easy way to see that spinach is a better choice that say mashed potatoes.

Other programs work in similar ways. It doesn't really matter which program/app he uses. A nutritionist could give him a meal plan as well.

If he is eating healthy foods but just too much of them, can you pre-plate for everyone, and only serve the plates food?

Yes, losing and gaining back is not ideal, but it is better than not trying at all.

Sometimes losing weight can be the motivator to be more active. It is a lot easier to be physically active when a person is not so overweight. After I lost 50 pounds through changing my diet, many of my aches and pains went away and it is much easier and more fun to be physically active now.

Yes to all of this. I do want him to exercise too. It will make him feel better and will motivate him to make good food choices.

It is so interesting how slow he moves. The path to the trash cans goes right past my bedroom window. Ds took trash out this morning and he practically ran there and back. Very fast walking. The other day I saw dss and he was strolling. The bike riding forces him to get with it more I think.

• Like 1

He does eat the fruit I buy especially if there is no ice cream in the house. And I serve a good vegetable with every supper and a lot of it. We already eat what I consider to be a medium to high healthy diet. But no matter how healthy if you eat too much you will keep gaining weight.

How many vegetables is he eating earlier in the day?  

If he wants to be a chef, have him learn to prepare vegetables that he can eat at all three meals of the day.  2 fried eggs is a low point breakfast but not filling for a large 16 year old boy.  Two fried eggs with a pile of veggie hash is still easier on the points than eggs and toast but a lot more filling.  

Your DH isn't able to exercise with you but he could be a good example of increasing overall vegetable content.  Learn ways to make vegetables the tasty main course rather than a side with dinner.  

• Like 4

What I like best about WW is that I can eat whatever I want to eat. I can have that roll with dinner but I shouldn't have two. I can have that chocolate but not the bag. Any eating plan that knocks out a significant thing would never be sustainable for me. Like low carb. Talk about feeling deprived! It was awful! Being on WW helped me not eat as many carbs as I was before I joined though. I have never been hungry on WW or have ever felt deprived either. WW is definitely sustainable for me.

• Like 6

I think it's great that your son is interested and that you and your dh are both supportive. His idea to ride a bike is great. I think it's great that his eyes are being open to the point values in food and I really like that Weight Watchers points are not based solely on calories but on nutrition. 

A lot of a successful journey to health (not just weight loss) is trial and error and finding what works for that individual. It also takes a mindset of viewing "set backs" as "obstacles that need a new strategy to get around" and a belief that "getting back ON the wagon is what counts. Everyone falls off." 

He may find that first thing in the morning works super well... or not. It is normal to have to test strategies and make adjustments. It's not failure. I think it's also good for him to get an idea of the points in things. He will find he can eat great amounts of healthy food and feel full and satisfied or  a tiny bit of processed food for the same points and still be hungry. Just knowing generally may help him---or he may be a personality who likes to track things. 

I agree that Nerd Fitness is very helpful and they have online support groups (like this one!) There are many transformation stories of guys your son's size getting down to their goal size. I have done lots of free reading on that site and it is generally solid. 

As others have said, the goal is longterm lifetstyle change. You lose the weight in the kitchen, but you keep it off by exercising. So I think the bike idea plus learning to make sensible food choices is a good idea. 

You and your son may want to check out the National Weight Loss Registry because it is probably the best available database of people who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off. Nearly all other research is very time limited, so the researchers really don't know how long losses were sustained. : http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

You see significant health benefits (changes in bp, lipids, etc.) at a loss of 5% of body weight. 

To make goals feel attainable, when I lost weight, I used both % of body weight and "new BMI" as mileposts. BMI changes every 6-8 pounds or so, so it's a quick feedback mechanism. And that 5%, then 10%, etc. was inserted in between.

You might look into finding him a health coach. A good coach can keep him on track without the family dynamics aspects. Tricky thing is, there is no required certification for coaching so you would have to research a coach's qualifications. Some doctor's offices have a coach associated with them. You could also google universities that offer coach certification training (it's not a full degree) and contact them for alumni. Coaching can be done via Skype or phone. It does not need to be in person. The job of a coach is to help the person identify obstacles, strengths, find strategies to beat the obstacles, etc. 

I am on women's weight lifting forums and have seen Precision Nutrition mentioned frequently. I know they have coaches, but you'd need to research the program. It sounds good from what I've read. 

Some things to consider doing: 

Try figuring out how to increase vegetable intake. New recommendations for lifelong health are 8-10 servings per day of fruits and veges and with losing weight, nonstarchy veges offer dense nutrition and fiber that is filling with very few calories. 

Some suggestions for getting those in: 

• Start with breakfast: An omelette or friitatta with veges is a good start. You can get the veges in, rotate veges, and get a protein boost. I top mine off with guacamole. You can make egg "muffins" which are basically fritattas in muffin tins. They keep a few days in the refrigerator. That would be a "grab and microwave" breakfast that would give him a start on his veges. 
  •  
  • Keep a fruit bowl out in plain site. We tend to eat the first thing we see. Likewise, it's good if the first thing he sees when he opens the fridge is an easy to grab vege selection: precut/washed veges and hummus or some other pretty healthy dip are good. 
  •  
  • Lunch veges can be homemade soups, salads, sandwiches layered with greens, cukes, etc. 
  •  
  • Aim for  at least 2 different veges at dinner. They should take up 1/2 his plate. 
  •  
  • Personally, I have found that I like seaweed. It's a long shot I admit! Trader Joe's sells it. It is crispy, a tiny bit salty and I can use it in place of chips if I am craving that. Not everyone likes it, but it is worth a try. If you do like it, it's easy to get 1-2 vege servings. 

Support his efforts to find exercise opportunities that are fun. Biking may be the one and only but he may find he likes other things as well. And unless he doesn't mind biking in heat or rain, etc. he may need a plan B. Martial arts classes (if he likes groups and that concept), a gym membership (Planet Fitness is a cheap way to start. I think it's $10 per month and you don't have a longterm contract), swimming, kayaking, hiking. Seasonal sports such as skiing, sledding, etc. are also great to promote. 

Best of luck to him! 

• Like 3

How many vegetables is he eating earlier in the day?

If he wants to be a chef, have him learn to prepare vegetables that he can eat at all three meals of the day. 2 fried eggs is a low point breakfast but not filling for a large 16 year old boy. Two fried eggs with a pile of veggie hash is still easier on the points than eggs and toast but a lot more filling.

Your DH isn't able to exercise with you but he could be a good example of increasing overall vegetable content. Learn ways to make vegetables the tasty main course rather than a side with dinner.

He had two fried eggs and a bagel with butter and some ham. He made a sandwich out of it.

No veggies early in the day. I had not considered that. Well one thing I do for him when I can I learned here....left over baked potato chopped up and browned with very little oil and onions and then scramble eggs to go with it. He likes that and it is filling. But i have no idea about how to implement other veggies into breakfast.

He had two fried eggs and a bagel with butter and some ham. He made a sandwich out of it.

No veggies early in the day. I had not considered that. Well one thing I do for him when I can I learned here....left over baked potato chopped up and browned with very little oil and onions and then scramble eggs to go with it. He likes that and it is filling. But i have no idea about how to implement other veggies into breakfast.

Vegetables at breakfast:

-Veggie hash (with or without a little meat)-cauliflower, collards or similar greens, onions, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, potatoes, whatever sort of veggies you have and like.  The ones I listed are my favorites for hash but I will toss in diced up leftover whatever.  Brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini.  It's a use whatever sort of dish.  Season well.  

-I like to do a small steak (we are talking 3-4 ounces) with a pile of collard greens, garlic and mushrooms.  I usually top with an over easy egg or two.  

-Omelets with less cheese and more vegetables.  My favorite is spinach, sausage, goat cheese and mushrooms.  I usually make it as a three egg omelet and cut it in half.  That's enough for me and my husband.  

-Vegetable quiche

-roasted asparagus (with EVOO and salt and pepper) makes a great side at brunch.  

-Egg sandwiches with seasoned tomatoes, red onion, spinach and avocado instead of lots of cheese and meat.  Canadian bacon is a low points option for egg sandwiches.  Also, smoked salmon.  Swap the bagel out for a 3 point whole wheat english muffin.  

• Like 2

Really, veg and to some extent fruit should be a part of every meal, and more than one at every meal.

The sandwitch that he had would be great with only half a bagel, on the bottom (bagels are way more than 1 serving of grains) and adding some cooked veg, like peppers or broccoli.  Grilled eggplant would be great.

He could also use a wrap for eggs and veg.

He could boil up some pasta with frozen veg (equal proportions or more veg) and serve it with some cheese grated on the top.

Maybe a salad with a fried or poached egg on top.

You can make oatmeal overnight in a crock pot and cook eitherwith  fruits and serve with youghurt or something else, or you can make it savoury with herb and chopped veg.

You could do Asian noodles and veg with an Asian stye sauce or miso paste.

A friend of mine eats a meaty bone based broth for breakfast, with a bit of toast and fruit.

Crock pot breakfast casserole usually has some chopped grainy bread with equal parts veg, bound together with eggs and milk.

You can make muffins that are mostly apples or grated carrots and dried fruits nd seeds.

• Like 2

We do something we like to call "messy eggs".  starts with some type of potato (1/2 of a hash brown, cubed potatoes, or tater tots usually) those are crumbled and browned in a little avocado oil. Then we add a bunch of chopped veggies (onions, red peppers, mushrooms) and spices, cook it for a couple minutes then pour in scrambled egg then top that with diced tomatoes (kids don't like the tomatoes to be overcooked). Then you cook it like scrambled eggs. It's messy looking but really good. Another option is a 1 egg 1 slice of ham 1 piece of good cheese and sliced tomato on 1/2 and english muffin add a big side of pink grapefruit and orange slices.

Then use the other 1/2 of the english muffin later in the day to cure a sweet craving by adding peanut butter and banana slices (DD pre slices banana and drizzles melted dark chocolate over them before freezing).

I like Eating Well's Menu plans, lots of options (1200, 1500, or 1800) you should keep in mind that since he's larger he needs a lot more calories and the 1500 my son did would not be sufficient for him. Here is a calculator that will show what he needs to maintain his weight . To lose a pound he would need to cut 3500 calories.

• Like 1

I agree with getting him into the gym to lift weights. He'll see changes quickly because he is young and male as long as he alters his eating too.

I'm not a huge fan of WW because it didn't work for me (I followed it religiously for 8 months, lost 4 pounds, and was starving and miserable all the time). I tend to recommend paleo because it's what finally worked for me (60 pounds in 6 months). But, having said that, my MIL used WW to lose 60 pounds and has more or less kept it off for 9 years.

(Disclaimer: I'm an allergy mom, so that's my bias when I think about health.) If he's open to it, look into food allergies/intolerances too (paleo helps with this as it cuts dairy, wheat, and soy, three common allergens) bevayse food intolerances and allergies can cause weight issues in many ways. In my experience, people who discover food reactions report that their favorite foods turn out to be foods they are allergic/intolerant to. This was certainly true for me. I adore cheese and good bread. I'm allergic to wheat and intolerant to dairy. When I figured this out, the weight that I had spent years trying to lose (most recently with that failed WW attempt) melted off without hunger. I could eat to satisfaction because what I ate worked for my body. I ended up eating more than my WW points (back then, they were VERY anti-fat and I ate plenty of fat), but I lost the weight easily.

So, that's my thought for him. There may very well be a physical reason that he's eating so much (example: even gluten free grains make me crave grains and I'm starving if I eat high carb. I need 500-600 calories of cereal to feel full, but 350 calories of whole eggs in avocado oil to feel full, and those egg calories keep me full two hours longer than the cereal calories. That difference adds up quickly). It might not simply be that he doesn't know how to eat.

Oh, the slow movement. I used to be very slow. Removing wheat and dairy and eating lower carb changed my energy levels in amazing ways. If I go back on dairy (I do sometimes) OR start eating high carb again, my energy plummets and I'm back to moving like a tortoise. Heaven forbid I do both at once. Then I'm practically asleep all the time. It's remarkable.

• Like 2

Lucy and Bluegoat have some great suggestions.

In the larger sense, if he's open to it, thinking beyond "breakfast food" can be very freeing. There's no reason that we HAVE to restrict ourselves to cereal, eggs, bacon/sausage, yogurt/fruit, and bread products in the morning. I mean, this morning I had a leftover chicken thigh and yesterday I had a hamburger (both with vegetables). 

• Like 2

Lucy and Bluegoat have some great suggestions.

In the larger sense, if he's open to it, thinking beyond "breakfast food" can be very freeing. There's no reason that we HAVE to restrict ourselves to cereal, eggs, bacon/sausage, yogurt/fruit, and bread products in the morning. I mean, this morning I had a leftover chicken thigh and yesterday I had a hamburger (both with vegetables). 

That's funny. I remember how freeing it felt when I realized I could eat breakfast food any time of the day. I was so used to it being only for the mornings.

• Like 1

That's funny. I remember how freeing it felt when I realized I could eat breakfast food any time of the day. I was so used to it being only for the mornings.

That too!

The whole "this food is for this time of day" is such an arbitrary convention. 

• Like 1

Another thought is the myfitnesspal app and maybe a fitbit to wear too. I've been successful losing weight by keeping track of my intake on MFP and making sure I get enough steps in for the day. (in fact, I need to get back to it!) This way, he can dip his toe into the counting calories water without having to attend meetings (and it's free!). They have message boards on their site and tons of different community groups - I am sure there are teenage groups there. 

• Like 2

We do something we like to call "messy eggs". starts with some type of potato (1/2 of a hash brown, cubed potatoes, or tater tots usually) those are crumbled and browned in a little avocado oil. Then we add a bunch of chopped veggies (onions, red peppers, mushrooms) and spices, cook it for a couple minutes then pour in scrambled egg then top that with diced tomatoes (kids don't like the tomatoes to be overcooked). Then you cook it like scrambled eggs. It's messy looking but really good. Another option is a 1 egg 1 slice of ham 1 piece of good cheese and sliced tomato on 1/2 and english muffin add a big side of pink grapefruit and orange slices.

Then use the other 1/2 of the english muffin later in the day to cure a sweet craving by adding peanut butter and banana slices (DD pre slices banana and drizzles melted dark chocolate over them before freezing).

I like Eating Well's Menu plans, lots of options (1200, 1500, or 1800) you should keep in mind that since he's larger he needs a lot more calories and the 1500 my son did would not be sufficient for him. Here is a calculator that will show what he needs to maintain his weight . To lose a pound he would need to cut 3500 calories.

Thank you. Very helpful.

Really, veg and to some extent fruit should be a part of every meal, and more than one at every meal.

The sandwitch that he had would be great with only half a bagel, on the bottom (bagels are way more than 1 serving of grains) and adding some cooked veg, like peppers or broccoli. Grilled eggplant would be great.

He could also use a wrap for eggs and veg.

He could boil up some pasta with frozen veg (equal proportions or more veg) and serve it with some cheese grated on the top.

Maybe a salad with a fried or poached egg on top.

You can make oatmeal overnight in a crock pot and cook eitherwith fruits and serve with youghurt or something else, or you can make it savoury with herb and chopped veg.

You could do Asian noodles and veg with an Asian stye sauce or miso paste.

A friend of mine eats a meaty bone based broth for breakfast, with a bit of toast and fruit.

Crock pot breakfast casserole usually has some chopped grainy bread with equal parts veg, bound together with eggs and milk.

You can make muffins that are mostly apples or grated carrots and dried fruits nd seeds.

Great ideas. Thank you.

• Like 1

Vegetables at breakfast:

-Veggie hash (with or without a little meat)-cauliflower, collards or similar greens, onions, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, potatoes, whatever sort of veggies you have and like. The ones I listed are my favorites for hash but I will toss in diced up leftover whatever. Brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini. It's a use whatever sort of dish. Season well.

-I like to do a small steak (we are talking 3-4 ounces) with a pile of collard greens, garlic and mushrooms. I usually top with an over easy egg or two.

-Omelets with less cheese and more vegetables. My favorite is spinach, sausage, goat cheese and mushrooms. I usually make it as a three egg omelet and cut it in half. That's enough for me and my husband.

-Vegetable quiche

-roasted asparagus (with EVOO and salt and pepper) makes a great side at brunch.

-Egg sandwiches with seasoned tomatoes, red onion, spinach and avocado instead of lots of cheese and meat. Canadian bacon is a low points option for egg sandwiches. Also, smoked salmon. Swap the bagel out for a 3 point whole wheat english muffin.

Ok thank you. Those are all things we often put in eggs.

Here is a simple starter recipe for egg muffins. http://showmetheyummy.com/healthy-egg-muffin-cups/  Once you have the idea, it's easy to alter to taste. I use one egg per muffin tin and fill the rest with a vege. You can fill it to the very top if you stir it because the egg just puffs up. (And as I said upthread, these last 4 days or so in the fridge so they can become a grab and go breakfast for the week.) 

He may be okay with those by themselves or if he wants some more fat (there is some in the eggs), I like mine topped with guacamole (another vege and it looks like a cupcake ;)) or a small amount of cheese. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

Here is a simple starter recipe for egg muffins. http://showmetheyummy.com/healthy-egg-muffin-cups/ Once you have the idea, it's easy to alter to taste. I use one egg per muffin tin and fill the rest with a vege. You can fill it to the very top if you stir it because the egg just puffs up. (And as I said upthread, these last 4 days or so in the fridge so they can become a grab and go breakfast for the week.)

He may be okay with those by themselves or if he wants some more fat (there is some in the eggs), I like mine topped with guacamole (another vege and it looks like a cupcake ;)) or a small amount of cheese.

I printed this off. I am going to make it tonight

I also want to chime in to say that I was about 35 lbs overweight by the time I graduated high school and it took me until I was a junior in college to figure out that I'd feel better and be healthier if I lost it. No one ever said anything to me about my weight - not my parents, other relatives, my Dr., no one. In retrospect, I would have appreciated more guidance as far as health and weight. 

I also want to chime in to say that I was about 35 lbs overweight by the time I graduated high school and it took me until I was a junior in college to figure out that I'd feel better and be healthier if I lost it. No one ever said anything to me about my weight - not my parents, other relatives, my Dr., no one. In retrospect, I would have appreciated more guidance as far as health and weight.

Thank you. I think by saying nothing we give the impression it is ok.

• Like 2

Thank you. I think by saying nothing we give the impression it is ok.

For many, many obese people, especially impressionable young people, the number one way to get them to stuff their feelings with food even more is to let them know that you don't think they're OK.

I know you're saying that being 100 pounds overweight is what's not OK, you probably don't mean that to be personal, but we all have a really hard time separating criticism of our attributes from criticism of ourselves, if that makes sense. "I'm not OK" and "I would be OK if I weren't fat" - these should not be the tape recordings of your voice (or attitude) in his head.

That is why the fitness type approach, in a motivational gym with people who know how to stay positive and help move toward goals, can work better.

• Like 6