Menu

Wilderness camping folks--clothing & tick advice for dd14?

Acadie

In two weeks, dd14 is hoping to go on a 5-day camping and paddling trip in Kentucky with her school. We do some hiking and camping as a family but not wilderness trips this long, and I'm freaking about two things--ticks and gear.

First, we need to buy all this stuff on the gear list--she does have an Under Armour top and some leggings, but no fleece tops, and her rain jacket probably is not waterproof enough for this trip. Any suggestions on brands or where to buy in the next two weeks? Reasonable price in styles a teen will want to wear a plus! We have LLBean and Dick's nearby, and can order from REI. 

Capilene/polypro long underwear--mid-weight top & bottom

Expedition weight long underwear top & bottom

Fleece or wool pants
Fleece or wool sweater
Rain gear top & bottom

It's not clear to me at this point if they're sleeping in tents or shelters they make, which they've been practicing in their Outdoor Leadership group. Sleeping in their own shelters seems like it only increases the risk of tick bites to me. We normally don't use much conventional insect/tick repellant, but for a trip like this I think I need to have her apply it liberally. My sister and mom have Lyme disease so this is a huge worry for me. I'd love to hear from families who take the risks of tick borne illness seriously and still hike/camp in wilderness areas.

Thanks so much for any help! I don't want to squelch her enthusiasm but ticks really concern me, and the shopping is overwhelming given limited time.

Amy

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1

REI stuff generally looks more techical and less frumpy than LL Bean.

Neither of them is going to set any fashion records, though.

My view is, FWIW, you don't have enough information to select stuff just yet.

You need to know whether they are carrying their own gear in backpacks, and what their space and/or weight limit is, because you optimize your clothing around that.  If you have to be superlight you bring fewer extras, for instance.

Be aware of the need to be able to get warm though you have been wet.  That is critical, and a little extra packing allowance is really helpful.  For instance, can she double bag all her clothes so that if, say, a canoe tips, they won't all get wet? Can she bring extra plastic bags so that she can put them between her new, dry socks and her utterly drenched shoes?  (IOW, if her shoes get very wet, she puts on clean, dry socks, puts plastic bags over them, and then puts the wet shoes on--so the socks won't get wet.)

I went canoeing once where an unanticipated rainstorm soaked us.  We grabbed garbage bags and put them on as rain ponchos.  It kept our torsos from utterly freezing.  I couldn't feel my fingers but I wasn't thoroughly chilled either.  

Also, be aware that wind tends to blow right through fleece.  So although layering sounds good and has some merit, it's hard to use fleece by itself.  My experience is that when I'm active, assuming I'm dry, fleece by itself is not very warm (because the wind cuts through it) but with a shell over it it's grossly too hot (because those windbreakers are plasticy).  So I try to have a nonfleece pullover that is a tighter weave along for in between times.

Also, depending on temperatures where she is going, a sunprotective very light long sleeved shirt can be very helpful.  I have one of those for hiking, and it has save me from sunburn many times.  It has no warmth to speak of, so if weight is an issue it's a luxury, but if they are bringing duffles for the bottom of the boats, it might be a welcome addition.  This is the one I have.  I usually wear it open to protect my arms from sunburn.  https://www.rei.com/product/861363/rei-co-op-sahara-long-sleeve-shirt-womens

She might like a hat:  https://www.rei.com/product/847874/rei-co-op-paddlers-hat

Or that might be totally uncool.

• Like 5

Ticks are the bane of my whole existence.

You need to get a tick remover tool and show her how to use it and pound it into her head to check all over once a day.

You also need to get clothing spray. It lasts through a few washs.

I take the additional step of DEET (100%) on ankles, back of neck and wrists (exposed or likely to be exposed areas) but not everyone is comfortable with that so YMMV.

If they never get on you, or do but you catch it in time and get it off, then no lymes.

Hi there!

We are leaving in 21 days for a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail, so right now, this is right up my alley! ;) 

We sent our clothes in to Insect Shield to be treated professionally with permethrin. 2 weeks is cutting it close though, so I'd just buy the spray and treat the clothes yourself since it's a short trip. You can treat her gear and shoes and everything with it (I am not doing underwear). You can also order pretreated clothes from Insect Shield as well (REI and LL Bean also sell some Insect Shield clothing).

All of our capilene base layers and fleeces are from Patagonia. My rain coat is a Houdini from Patagonia. My girls are starting out with cheap Frogg Toggs. They are inexpensive and not SUPER durable, but for some hikers, they last the whole trail. I would imagine they'd do the trick for 5 days.

I like our Patagonia stuff, but guess what? I like my super cheap Cuddl Duds more! Capilene can be a little sheer/see through and easy to rip. My Cuddl Duds are sooo warm, comfortable, and durable. You can get them lots of places like WalMart, department stores, Amazon. 

Daily tick checks will be key. Show her how to check her hair line, the folds of her skin, her waistline, and her crotch. You can also get her DEET spray, but a lot of people swear by picaridin and say it works better and doesn't stink. 

I hope something in there helps! 

• Like 6

Hi there!

We are leaving in 21 days for a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail, so right now, this is right up my alley! ;)

Sending you good wishes!  My son did a thru hike of the AT last year.  It was a great experience for him.

"The Boy" (as he is known) is an archaeologist.  Between hiking and outdoor work, tick avoidance is part of his life.  I was going to recommend a tick removal tool like the one linked above.

Also, I recently replaced my rain jacket and asked for his advice.  His jacket is a pricey one from Outdoor Research which he highly recommends.  For my purpose though he recommended the Marmot Precip. You can read about these jackets here:

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jacket-Womens-Reviews

Happy hiking to all!

P.S.  My son prefers by SmartWool base layers.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 3

Wow, I'm so glad I asked! Thank you all so much both for the general advice and specific product suggestions...by the time we're done I'm guessing she'll have that Marmot rain jacket, REI hat, tick tool + clothing spray and some Cuddleduds. :)

Amy

• Like 1

If it's mainly a paddling (plus portage?) trip, then I'd focus on making the time in the canoes the most comfortable. This probably means different footwear than hiking, because the entries and exits from the canoe can mean stepping in water. What is the group recommending? I don't see anything listed in that area.

Fleece is wonderful for warmth, light-weight and pretty quick drying. It's easy to get over-heating when paddling, though. Hopefully she will be reminded to strip down a layer to avoid sweating. I'm not sure why there are 2 types of underwear listed. It's good to have a full change in case of one set getting wet. I don't know why you'd need 2 different kinds. Perhaps one is lighter for the paddling and portaging, and the other is heavier for more passive times.

Invest in decent rain pants. The rain coat is trickier because it's really easy to over-heat while paddling. You don't want too big and bulky. The PP's suggestion of plastic bags isn't a bad idea just to keep all the water out for long periods of time. Fashion is not required on multi-day adventure trips!

Hope she has a wonderful time!

• Like 1

The others have given good advice. I will add this:

There is no way to keep your footwear dry on a canoe trip. My strong preference if for Tevas or Chacos sport sandals. 

I have both waterproof socks and paddling gloves from a company called SealSkinz.  I wear the socks with my Keene water sandals and my feet stay totally dry even if my sandals get wet.

I'm glad you mentioned this though because it reminded me of paddling gloves.  They might be useful for this expedition.

• Like 3

We (and by we I mean Dh & various outdoor inclined kids) have backpacked through some pretty terribly tick infested areas not to mention mosquitos that are positive for West Nile.  We use the spray for clothes & bedding.  We buy the Sawyer brand from Amazon & are very liberal with it.  We also use a lotion/ spray combo the same way we do for sunscreen.  The lotion applied early and given time to dry provides the base and then the spray provides touch ups.  

According to our doctor and this article http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/infectious-disease/epi/vector-borne/lyme/lyme-faq.shtml

a tick has to be attached for 24 hours to transmit lyme disease.  This is why a daily check is a must.  Some people think it is over the top, but Dh takes a small plastic vial with a screw on lid and a bit of alcohol pad.  If he finds a tick on himself or one of the kids he brings it home in the vial & it can be tested.  This has only happened once.

Hope this helps,

Amber in SJ

• Like 3

Hi there!

We sent our clothes in to Insect Shield to be treated professionally with permethrin. 2 weeks is cutting it close though, so I'd just buy the spray and treat the clothes yourself since it's a short trip. You can treat her gear and shoes and everything with it (I am not doing underwear). You can also order pretreated clothes from Insect Shield as well (REI and LL Bean also sell some Insect Shield clothing).

All of our capilene base layers and fleeces are from Patagonia. My rain coat is a Houdini from Patagonia. My girls are starting out with cheap Frogg Toggs. They are inexpensive and not SUPER durable, but for some hikers, they last the whole trail. I would imagine they'd do the trick for 5 days.

I like our Patagonia stuff, but guess what? I like my super cheap Cuddl Duds more! Capilene can be a little sheer/see through and easy to rip. My Cuddl Duds are sooo warm, comfortable, and durable. You can get them lots of places like WalMart, department stores, Amazon. 

Daily tick checks will be key. Show her how to check her hair line, the folds of her skin, her waistline, and her crotch. You can also get her DEET spray, but a lot of people swear by picaridin and say it works better and doesn't stink. 

I hope something in there helps! 

Why is having it done professionally better? 

Have her test any insect repellant on her skin before the trip. As we were hiking off on our first long backpacking trip, dh started reacting to the insect spray (deet) and we had to turn around and sit at the parking lot to be sure that his reaction wouldn't get serious.

• Like 3

This strikes me as a super great idea.

I would not want poison treated cloth against my skin, so this controls that to the specific area of importance, and lets you buffer it with clothing, which is great.

Here in CA the ticks go hang out at the very tip of grass stalks, the better to grab you as you brush by.  Unfortunately our grass gets much taller than this, but stopping that point of entry into the bottom of long pants would be a great improvement.

And OR is a very good company.

• Like 1

This strikes me as a super great idea.

I would not want poison treated cloth against my skin, so this controls that to the specific area of importance, and lets you buffer it with clothing, which is great.

Here in CA the ticks go hang out at the very tip of grass stalks, the better to grab you as you brush by.  Unfortunately our grass gets much taller than this, but stopping that point of entry into the bottom of long pants would be a great improvement.

And OR is a very good company.

That was my reasoning, too.  Reduce my exposure to insecticide but create a barrier that should repel most tick attacks!

• Like 2

Great suggestions. My dd will be camping in the woods for 2 weeks this year and the rest of us for one week. Ticks are my greatest concern since we have a high infestation area and it feels like everyone I know has or has had Lyme, several with severe effects.

Ticks are my biggest concern this summer. I am also concerned with wearing treated clothing all day long too -- feels like a lose-lose situation.

• Like 1

Here in CA...

If I still lived in CA, I wouldn't treat my clothes either. The ticks and risk of Lyme are nothing compared to what we are up against in the east.

• Like 2

If I lived in an area that wasn't used to ticks, I'd heap on the chemicals for a trip.  Much better than trying to seek treatment in a medical community that isn't very familiar.

We don't really do that in my family, because it would mean dousing ourselves every single time we walked out the door, and I'm not comfortable with that amount of chemical exposure.  So we rely on constant tick checks and quick removal.  (And still have a hefty history of Lyme in our household.)  It's very "pick your poison" for us.

• Like 1

We are going camping for two weeks in May/June in North Carolina.  I plan to get picardin treated gaiters for everyone to wear over the bottom of their pants, assuming it's going to be cool enough to wear light-weight pants, and maybe hats.  Then I'm going to use DEET like I do at home - spraying mainly their clothes front and back.   That has always worked well camping or hiking near home (NJ).   We'll do tick checks but they are hard to do camping without electricity when we get back after dark, and ds 11 is VERY modest and hates to be touched (SPD) but I have doubts about how well he'll check himself.

• Like 1

The best advice I can offer about the tick situation is what I learned from my many years as a Girl Scout wandering around in heavily wooded areas.

Wear knee socks, and a hat or scarf on your head. Use a DEET-free insect repellant (we always used OFF or Cutters). And before bed, have her brush her hair really well, finishing with (literally) a fine tooth comb. Also, if she's going with a good friend, instruct them to inspect each other's scalps each night before bed.

Keep in mind, you can tell her all this and she still might not do it, but at least you'll have done your due diligence.

• Like 1