Menu

cupcake ideas please

HollyDay

I need 36 cupcakes for high school graduation reception.  My first thought was the grocery store (bakery shop was crazy $$$).  But, dd has asked if we could please make them ourselves.  Okay, I know a box mix makes 2 dozen.  And I have pans for 24 cupcakes.  But, she would like to do at least 2 different kinds.  Okay.....I could do that ????  What what about frosting? 

Yes, I'm feeling a bit baking impared at the moment.  Oldest dd took the Wilton classes but she is at college.  So, it is on me this go round.  I'm not too worried about making something that tastes good.  But, I am worried about making something that looks good. 

HELP!!!!!

Why can't you do two different kinds? I'd use up all the batter. You may end up with 48 cupcakes. Use what you need for the graduation and eat the rest. Or give them away.

I prefer homemade icing. I've got an easy recipe for cream cheese frosting that is so good! You could google and find one or any flavor you prefer. If you want, you can use the same flavor of icing for all your cupcakes. Or provide one white and one chocolate.

There are videos showing how to frost a cupcake. I made a batch for a family Christmas party and just swirled it with a knife. They weren't bakery looking but certainly good enough!

Good luck!

• Like 2

Our go-to is homemade buttercream frosting. You don't have to add dyes to it, but you could. I much prefer it to most store bought frostings, too.

You could do one batch of yellow and one batch of chocolate. Or really any common mixes. You could also do a mix like carrot cake but I don't know how popular those are. And sometimes with things like that people expect another kind of frosting like cream cheese. So if you're looking for simple then I'd do common flavors and just one batch of buttercream for them all.

I should have it memorized but I know we have a buttercream frosting recipe saved on the computer. I can PM it to you if you want.

• Like 1

If you're going for a themed look, graduation caps made out of mini Reese's cups and chocolate bars with school color sprinkles are all over Pinterest. This looks easy to do and you could use any frosting recipe: https://www.landolakes.com/recipe/18418/graduation-cupcakes/

Otherwise, just use a large round piping attachment and swirl it on. The fat, fluffy spiral is easy to do and looks nice. See this image http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dQHUnUrWnpA/TcTZhxVHw7I/AAAAAAAAB48/N8GrJNzFnlU/s1600/IMG_4982e.jpg

If your cupcakes are going to be in a warm area for any length of time, don't use straight up buttercream. It will melt (don't ask me how I know that).

• Like 1

Best buttercream recipe: http://iambaker.net/whipped-vanilla-buttercream/

Use **salted** butter. I can't remember if it says that. Make more than you think for decorating bakery style cupcakes. The tips CrimsonWife posted are perfect. Michael's has a little set and you can use a coupon.

I'd do a practice run before the event. If you want to Doctor up a cake mix, this works for vanilla or chocolate:

Erin's Not so Plain Vanilla Cake

1 box vanilla or French vanilla or white cake mix

1 box vanilla instant pudding

1 cup vanilla yogurt

1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter

1/2 cup milk

4 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together, then beat on medium for 2 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 17-19 minutes.

**I add a cup of mini chocolate chips and use chocolate pudding mix for chocolate. I also use unsweetened plain whole milk yogurt.

• Like 3

Why can't you do two different kinds? I'd use up all the batter. You may end up with 48 cupcakes. Use what you need for the graduation and eat the rest. Or give them away.

I prefer homemade icing. I've got an easy recipe for cream cheese frosting that is so good! You could google and find one or any flavor you prefer. If you want, you can use the same flavor of icing for all your cupcakes. Or provide one white and one chocolate.

There are videos showing how to frost a cupcake. I made a batch for a family Christmas party and just swirled it with a knife. They weren't bakery looking but certainly good enough!

Good luck!

Recipe please!!!  Dd was just saying she would like a batch of red velvet.  And the cream cheese frosting wout be sooooo good!

Recipe please!!!  Dd was just saying she would like a batch of red velvet.  And the cream cheese frosting wout be sooooo good!

1/2 stick unsalted butter

8 oz cream cheese

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy (2-3 minutes). Reduce speed to low and add powdered sugar in 2 parts incorporating vanilla extract 1/2 way through and mix until incorporated (scraping down walls with rubber spatula each time). Add cinnamon and fold by hand into frosting. Serve within 24 hours.

I make half this recipe and it thickly spreads on one 8-inch cake left in the pan (top only, not sides). I just leave the cake out with foil loosely on it for a few days and it stays the same.

My favorite chocolate cupcake frosting is the frosting recipe for Hershey's Best Brownies (just google...very easy to find).

I will often make either boxed or homemade cupcakes (sometimes gluten free, depending on who is eating them) and as long as I use the frosting listed above, my kids are in heaven.

These sky high salted caramel chocolate cupcakes with cheesecake filling are yummy and a step up from plain old homemade but are so simple and made from a mix. I thinks it's just chocolate mix, cream cheese frosting, some caramel syrup drizzled over the frosting, and broken nuts and pretzels sprinkled on top. You could leave the nuts out and they'd fine.

http://www.plattertalk.com/sky-high-salted-caramel-chocolate-cupcakes/

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

I topped my grad cupcakes with a bit of plain frosting and a little hat made of:

One rolo

One small chocolate-covered-graham cookie (square)

A short bit of shoestring red candy (like a tassel)

I glued the hats together with egg white and powdered sugar as the adhesive. It was super easy and very cute.

Pretty much like this: http://adventuresofdandv.blogspot.ca/2012/05/adventures-in-kitchen-graduation-cap.html?m=1

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1