Menu

I have a crazy idea - Midlife crisis of sorts at 35?

JumpyTheFrog

I am taking classes PT through the local community college. The other day I had the thought that maybe in 2018 I could join the women's soccer team. (I'd have to go FT to be eligible.) I checked today and there is no upper age limit. I played on my high school team but didn't want to play in college when I went almost half a lifetime ago.

It sounds totally crazy to consider this. I'm trying to figure out why it is appealing and the best I can come up with is that I want to prove I can do it, especially after missing a decade due to chronic illness.

Had anyone else ever done anything like this?

Edited by HoppyTheToad
  • Like 2

I don't see why you couldn't do this.  Go for it.  If it doesn't work out, hey, no harm done.  You gave it a whirl.  If you don't try you may always have this as a regret in your life.  It sounds fun!  And really healthy.  :)

I have a friend who joined a tennis team after having not played for over 15 years.  She went through classes and training to get back up to speed and did very well.  She was the oldest but was one of the best players.  She was dedicated and practiced often and paid attention.  She loved it.

• Like 1

At my junior college, we had two older career people join our long-distance running teams when they returned to school to complete a degree.  They were fantastic!  We all loved having them as part of our team.  There was no weirdness or questions at all.  They were a great addition all around.  

That doesn't tell you what it was like from their perspective, but from the team's perspective.

• Like 3

If next year is like this year, it looks like tryouts would be in June 2018. That gives me a little over a year to get in good enough shape and lose the extra weight slowing me down. I already play indoor soccer twice a week. I guess I should start running more and look for an outdoor team, too. At the very least, prepping would help me play indoor better.

• Like 4

I took up dancing in my early 30s. First East coast swing, and then when they literally started throwing me about, I switched to West Coast Swing, and added in Tap. 

My Dh took flying lessons, and went up in two-seater plane and flew it. He never got his license because his interest died away. But now he takes Japanese lessons - for the goal of being able to read and watch Japanese anime and manga before waiting for it to get translated into English. 

• Like 1

I started fencing with my kids at 39. It may be a little different as fencing is a rare sport where there are official championships for people 70+, but you still get to compete with those 13 and up. It's hard and intimidating, but fun. I say, go for it! You can do it.

• Like 2

I am taking classes PT through the local community college. The other day I had the thought that maybe in 2018 I could join the women's soccer team. (I'd have to go FT to be eligible.) I checked today and there is no upper age limit. I played on my high school team but didn't want to play in college when I went almost half a lifetime ago.

It sounds totally crazy to consider this. I'm trying to figure out why it is appealing and the best I can come up with is that I want to prove I can do it, especially after missing a decade due to chronic illness.

Had anyone else ever done anything like this?

Not soccer, but I started riding and horse training again in my mid/late 30's after a 15 year break. I say go for it. It's good to have something all for you and not about the kids. I think I might have lost my mind at home with a 6 month old and 18 month old and starting to homeschool oldest if my husband hadn't encouraged me to go for it.