Menu

Wardrobe Overhaul

Just Kate

"I have nothing to wear." I use this phrase almost every day. Its not completely true, as I have a closet jam-packed with clothes. But most of it is old and out of style or doesn't fit well. I have some money set aside for a shopping trip, but I am terrible with fashion (although I do want to be somewhat fashionable!) and I'm not really sure what to buy. So I need help.

In my perfect world, here's what I want: I'd like to have a smaller wardrobe of basics that can be worn together with some fun accessories. I think this sounds like the capsule wardrobe idea, but I actually need help figuring out what colors to choose and I need something to tell me how the items can be worn together to create new outfits. Does this exist?

If not, any suggestions for a 40 year-old  mom who spends most of her time carting her kids around, but a portion of her time in meetings with clients for work?

I've been scouring the Internet, but just can't find what I'm looking for.

Not sure if I have any helpful suggestions on what to actually buy, but start with this:

Set aside an entire day while your kids are at school (just going by your signature)

Make yourself a nice breakfast, shower, do your usual hair thing, basic makeup if you use it.

Take EVERYTHING out of your closet, sort it into whole outfits- pieces that match, like suits) dresses, tops, pants, shoes, accessories like scarves. If the pils are still huge, subdivide further into jeans, knit pants, capris, skirts, long sleeves, short sleeves, camis, sweaters, jackets/cardigans... etc. also separate sport/workout clothes and clothes needed to meet clients.

Have several large boxes or trash bags handy.

As you do this, immediate place things that are way out of date, ugly, do not fit and are not even close to fitting, unflattering to you into a box/bag for donation.

Since you need some business attire for client meetings, if nothing is truly flattering but can get you by for a few weeks while you shop, hold onto one or two outfits until you can replace them.

Next, try on everything that's left. You might find a few things that are either still in good shape, or can get you through while you shop and replace.

If your post is correct, you should have a lot of bags/boxes to donate, and maybe a week's worth of clothes to wear for now. THIS IS GOOD!

Next look at what you have: maybe you have a few pairs of capris that are OK. Some cardigans? Camisoles? Workout clothes? Make a list of what you have, including color. Then make a list of what you need. Shirts? Shorts? Now you can shop based on what will look good with what you have. And you won't end up with 15 denim capris and 30 black shirts, like me :D

If possible, keep your work wardrobe separate. Even if it's business casual khakis and polo shirts... you want some good quality items that won't get trashed at the park.

Summer is coming up, somif I were starting over with clothes, I'd make sure I had lightweight jeans or jeggings for comfort, 3-4 capris: black, tan, denim, olive green. A few longer tunic style tops, slightly fitted, a summer dress for church and grad parties and casual weddings. A casual comfortable knit shirt that also looks good with the tops I wear with the capris.

Good shoes, a nice purse, and a fresh haircut. If you k ow anyone who sells Paparazzi jewelry buy some! Everything is $5, and it's actually really nice!

• Like 7

Not sure if I have any helpful suggestions on what to actually buy, but start with this:

Set aside an entire day while your kids are at school (just going by your signature)

Make yourself a nice breakfast, shower, do your usual hair thing, basic makeup if you use it.

Take EVERYTHING out of your closet, sort it into whole outfits- pieces that match, like suits) dresses, tops, pants, shoes, accessories like scarves. If the pils are still huge, subdivide further into jeans, knit pants, capris, skirts, long sleeves, short sleeves, camis, sweaters, jackets/cardigans... etc. also separate sport/workout clothes and clothes needed to meet clients.

Have several large boxes or trash bags handy.

As you do this, immediate place things that are way out of date, ugly, do not fit and are not even close to fitting, unflattering to you into a box/bag for donation.

Since you need some business attire for client meetings, if nothing is truly flattering but can get you by for a few weeks while you shop, hold onto one or two outfits until you can replace them.

Next, try on everything that's left. You might find a few things that are either still in good shape, or can get you through while you shop and replace.

If your post is correct, you should have a lot of bags/boxes to donate, and maybe a week's worth of clothes to wear for now. THIS IS GOOD!

Next look at what you have: maybe you have a few pairs of capris that are OK. Some cardigans? Camisoles? Workout clothes? Make a list of what you have, including color. Then make a list of what you need. Shirts? Shorts? Now you can shop based on what will look good with what you have. And you won't end up with 15 denim capris and 30 black shirts, like me :D

If possible, keep your work wardrobe separate. Even if it's business casual khakis and polo shirts... you want some good quality items that won't get trashed at the park.

Summer is coming up, somif I were starting over with clothes, I'd make sure I had lightweight jeans or jeggings for comfort, 3-4 capris: black, tan, denim, olive green. A few longer tunic style tops, slightly fitted, a summer dress for church and grad parties and casual weddings. A casual comfortable knit shirt that also looks good with the tops I wear with the capris.

Good shoes, a nice purse, and a fresh haircut. If you k ow anyone who sells Paparazzi jewelry buy some! Everything is $5, and it's actually really nice!

Yep, this. The key is to clear it out, then make a list. It's much easier for me to shop knowing I need a pair of black dressy pants, summer sandals, etc. 

It really works well! You don't need all that outdated stuff. 

I feel your pain except I have very little in my closet. I was shopping at 10pm Saturday night for a dress to wear the next day to Church....

I need a shopper/style friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take some time to look at youlookfabdotcom, your favorite websites...maybevlandsvend, jjill, whatever you like and see hiw things are put together then do the closet thong and make a list. See what you have that can be refreshed with a new top or jacket or scarf.venlist a friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wonderful suggestions. Thank you!!!

I wonder if there is a website that talks about basic pieces to have in a wardrobe?

There's a pretty neat app called Cladwell. It's expensive for an app but it helps you design a wardrobe based on your needs and preferences.

"That's So You" is a book with worksheets that does the same thing.

I practice "capsule wardrobe" in a low-key way.

I really liked this mom's blog post:  "Why I got rid of my Wardrobe & started a capsule wardrobe"

She has stylish but easy-care items, and at the end shows 12 outfit combos.

http://www.simplefamilies.com/why-i-got-rid-of-my-wardrobe-capsule-small-wardrobe/

She has other posts about decluttering toys, etc. 

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

I adore Vivienne Files.  Some of my favorites are the "start with art" wardrobes, where she starts with a piece of art and then builds a capsule wardrobe around it.  It's helped me figure out what basic pieces I need and how to mix and match.  I've avoided a lot of "one-off" purchases (where the clothing item will only work in one specific situation/outfit) since I started reading that blog.

• Like 2

I'm going to look into some of these!

I like http://getyourprettyon.com.

Subscribe to the email and you'll start getting some feeling for her style. I like this one because she links to actual items which makes shopping easier. If you like her style you can pay for the style challenge. I think it's $39 and then you get links to shopping items and 20 different outfit combinations.

• Like 1

I broke down and tried Stich Fix. They have plus now. I did the "I'll tell you when to ship it" option. I LOVED everything in my first box. It was so fun and is helping me to see what I like and what I think is cute on other people. LOL! I made a pinterest board for my stylist and I think that helped. I was also very specific in my notes - I hate handkerchief hems, I like New England preppy, I want to be a cute TV mom and not just live in Life is Good shirts and skorts, I'm huge on modesty, etc. It was more expensive than my normal stuff (Cato...Cato clearance...LOL), but I am happy to now have some "nicer" things to wear.