Menu

Charming things to do in Charleston? Another southern town?

PeterPan

I want to do a girl trip with my dd, who is turning 18, and her host (age 50) and me (age 40). Obviously that's a lotta woman power, so we need something appropriate! Not drinking, just charming, quiet, lovely things to look at, tasty things to eat, whatever. Girl stuff. And it could be anywhere in SC, maybe Georgia, maybe NC. I sort of despise NC, so don't say NC. 

So I was thinking Charleston, but I'm totally open. Not a crazy budget, but maybe $1,000-$1,500 total for x number of days. I was assuming that might get us something on a beach, some good meals, somewhere to shop, maybe a day boating trip... I'd love a cruise. LOVE a cruise, but I don't think I can do anything for the three of us for that price, sigh. If you know a way, I'd be all ears!

Tell me your best girl trip ideas!  :D

King Street and walk around the city. Plenty of churches to and pretty scenes (thus why it is called The Holy City, due to all the steeples, though it's history is anything but) Walk down on the Battery. A lot of beautiful homes next to the water and your walk can end over at the Pineapple Fountain. Across the way is the Waterfront Veterans' Memorial. It's beautiful and you can walk out on the pier (fish if you like and there is a cute tourist shop)...you can sit on the pier swings and watch the boats. Near that is the Yorktown, a ship that is open for tours. I would also suggest going to Folly Beach (formerly known as Coffin Island). Plenty of shops and places to eat (I highly recommend Rita's). If you can take a left at the end of the main street and go through the neighbourhood, park near the end, get out, and walk the rest of the way, you can also see the lighthouse. Also, visit the Magnolia Plantation and Gardens! Beautiful and a lot of history there. My grandparents are buried across from there and there is a statue of one of my ancestors in the Gardens. Oh, and visit the Angel Oak Tree! <3 

If you happen to be driving between Charleston and Savannah, take the Charleston-Savannah highway. This will take you on a scenic route and through a town called Walterboro. There are antique shops and the Great Swamp Preserve (nothing great, but a nice walk). The Colleton County Museum is across from IGA and on the edge of the downtown area. We used to have a Slave Museum, but that shut down due to lack of funds and being overshadowed by the one they opened in Charleston. Also, you will see plenty of brown signs that signal historical interest sites (cemeteries, which I love walking through, old churches, old family lands, etc). Every year there is a Grits Festival and a Rice Festival. 

I can't tell you what there is in Savannah beyond a beautiful Greek Orthodox parish. One day, when I have a vehicle again, I hope to explore more.

Edited by mommaduck
  • Like 3

Everything about Charleston is charming IMO. I'd get a hotel in/near the historic district. Step outside. You've got charming. ;) I could spend days just rambling around looking at the houses, meandering through graveyards, strolling along the Battery.

If you want beach consider Jekyll Island/St. Simons Island in Georgia.

• Like 5

Everything about Charleston is charming IMO. I'd get a hotel in/near the historic district. Step outside. You've got charming. ;) I could spend days just rambling around looking at the houses, meandering through graveyards, strolling along the Battery.

If you want beach consider Jekyll Island/St. Simons Island in Georgia.

Agreed.

• Like 2

I don't love Charleston, probably the only person in the world that doesn't just rave about it. But even I will admit that every bit is charming. Beautiful things to see there. Read a Pat Conroy book before you go - South of Broad is basically a love letter to Charleston. Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

Our first and only true family vacation was to Charleston almost two years ago. All of my children talk about wanting to go back. It is such a beautiful, graceful city. We spent a whole day just walking around, looking at everything (and visiting the market). And it wasn't enough. There is beauty everywhere...totally jealous if you do end up going there!

• Like 1

I don't love Charleston, probably the only person in the world that doesn't just rave about it. But even I will admit that every bit is charming. Beautiful things to see there. Read a Pat Conroy book before you go - South of Broad is basically a love letter to Charleston. Enjoy your trip!

It's fine for visiting. It's an adjustment irt actually living here. I still miss Lancaster, PA. The irony is that Charleston is my home city.

• Like 1

I like Charleston, but St. Augustine is also a lot of fun.  It isn't that far from Georgia.  I would probably skip Savannah for one of the other 2.

Ok, call me dumb. Is this the St. Augustine in FL? You're right, that would have our charm! And I agree, anything within say 5 hours of SC could be on the table. St. Augustine in FL got hit really hard with the hurricane. Don't know if they're recovered. 

Ok, I'll bite. Why don't you like it? :)  I probably won't either. I hate history, so the whole thing will be lost on me. I'm just doing it to do a girl trip. Dd will LOVE it, and that's all that matters, lol. If I can get in some beach and good food, I'll be ok.

Mommaduck, I'll try to look up all those places you listed! Since it sounds like I'm on-track with the Charleston idea, it's just a matter of making an itinerary. I have no clue if I can get something in walking distance of beautiful clutter but also on a beach, that would be perfect. 

MrsMommy, I will endeavor to have a good time in your honor. :)

Btw, my dh and I were there years and years ago when we were engaged. It's all sort of a blur, it was so long ago. We did the beach, ate fish, wandered through a market, maybe went out on a pier, toured a retired Navy vessel, drove a freakishly narrow bridge...

Edited by OhElizabeth

The freakishly narrow bridge is gone. The pier and Navy vessel (the Yorktown) is still there. Folly Beach is the most popular and is also where the lighthouse is. However, you can no longer get to the lighthouse. It's the beach that my siblings and I go to the most. I have a cousin that owns a beach house there. There are hotels right there on the beach, so that would be an easy way to go and it's just across the bridge from downtown Charleston.

• Like 1

If you go to Charleston, rent some bikes. You can see more and it's a wonderfully bikeable downtown. Flat and 25mph speed limits. So much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh what a hoot! One of the people has mobility issues. Maybe they have the pedal cars. :) Actually, I don't know that I could even do well on a bike, lol. 

If the person wanted an ECV/scooter, is much of the area accessible?

One of my cousins declared April to be the BEST time to visit Magnolia Gardens. I have to agree that spring is best, we have so many flowering trees. Actually, they are all in flower now, because of the warm weather. Dogwoods, wisteria, azaleas, roses, jasmine, magnolias, etc. But there is SOMETHING blooming every month of the year here. May would be fine, but I would do early to mid May. If you are wanting to actually get in the ocean, then late May, early June. 

• Like 2

Probably NOT "charming" by your definition, but my brother and all our boy cousins loved the "South of the Border" fireworks stand in our family's one and only time in South Carolina.  :laugh:

I have a feeling we have a rogue side that would appreciate that. :D

I've been to Charleston, Savanah, and St. Augustine on different trips in the 5 years or so. 

All are charming. All have horse drawn carriage rides with nice interpreters. All have the on/off buses to get around to various sites. They are all cute historic towns. 

Wondering the stalls of the Charleston market is fun. 

Charleston and Savannah are tied to Civil War history. 

When I went to St. Augustine we stayed in St. Augustine Beach and took a bus from our hotel over the bridge to St. Augustine. The beach is nice and we enjoyed the light house. We also walked and took the on/off bus around St. Augustine. 

ETA: I forgot about the numerous plantations around Charleston. Magnolia is a nice one. 

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 1

Ok, I'll bite. Why don't you like it? :) I probably won't either. I hate history, so the whole thing will be lost on me. I'm just doing it to do a girl trip. Dd will LOVE it, and that's all that matters, lol. If I can get in some beach and good food, I'll be ok.

Not a history lover (but loving it more now than I used to), don't like seafood and the first time I went it was so awfully, terribly hot and humid lol. I think the combo of feeling sick from the humidty plus smell of seafood pushed me over the edge. I am born and bred in NC so I am used to heat and humidity but August in Charleston is something else entirely... Honestly though, I don't know why I don't love it. I want to love it, everyone I know just goes on and on about how amazing it is and I'm over there like eh it was ok. :D. Definately some beautiful parts but I am much more of a mountain person.
  • Like 1

Beaufort, SC is charming. It is rather small and quaint, but it might be worth a day. It is 1/2 between Charleston and Savannah. It has a cute downtown area that is easy to walk around and nice restaurants on the water; it is not as big as the other cities.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ladies, for you who know Charleston pretty well, where do we want to stay? I'm kind of stumped! Downtown, with the b&bs, is charming, but it's $400+ a night!! I'd really like to cap at $200, mercy. I was looking at Isle of Palms, and some of the hotels are filling up. A Tall Ships event is one of the weeks I was looking at. I don't think we especially have any interest in that. Does that make it a bad time to go, or is it incidental and go then anyway?

You could look at hotels in Mt. Pleasant. It's the city between Isle of Palms and Charleston. If you have a car it wouldn't be bad to stay there and drive back and forth.

Mt. Pleasant is booming. There are tons of yummy restaurants there as well. Pitt Street is a cute little village with an old fashioned pharmacy/ lunch counter and a yummy bakery.

• Like 1

Nope...I agree with you! I live in NC (not sure why the despise of the entire state, but I digress) and have visited Charleston many times. It's beautiful but I find it too big and busy to be considered charming. I much, much prefer Savannah, which oozes southern charm imo.

I second Beaufort. Very charming small town about halfway between Charleston and Savannah.

• Like 1

I've been to St. Augustine recently and they are definitely up and ready for tourists.

I know it would be way out of your way but I love Key West. Not during spring break of course, but before it gets too hot it is a charming place to walk. There are things to see and do such as Ernest Hemingway's house, the southern most point in the continuous US, glass bottom boat tours of the gulf, Key Lime pie...