Menu

Kindle Fire for elder?

lauraw4321

We are trying to figure out as a family how to enable my grandmother (nearly 93) to have more access to family photos.  Some grandchildren print out pictures and mail them, but that isn't as feasible as it used to be. One idea someone had was to give her an iPad to view shared photos. Then someone else mentioned a Kindle Fire.  Does anyone have any ideas? Most of her family members use i-devices, so I guess the appeal of the iPad is that we could "share" photos from iCloud.  Does anyone know what the process would be for a Kindle Fire? I'm find buying her an iPad, she fan afford it, but it doesn't feel like the best use of her resources when she would probably ONLY use it as a photo viewer...

Any help is appreciated!

I have a bunch of iDevices, and one of the kids got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I'm not at all happy with it. It's less intuitive than the iPad and isn't as easy for me to configure. If I'd never had an iPad, maybe I wouldn't mind?

But iCloud would be huge draw. I love that my parents got an iPad, and I can just share photos easily with them. And they get an alert when I share pics! Bonus points for easiness. 

• Like 2

The elderly lady I took care of was NOT technologically adept at all. Her kids bought her an iPad and having one myself, I was able to teach her fairly easily. It would be a lot more user friendly imo. She just kept a notebook and whenever she wanted to know how to do something, I wrote detailed notes on how to do it.

I would do the ipad if she can afford it or the family can chip in to get her one with a nice protective case.  I have a kindle fire and for $39 it is great.  It plays my audio books, lets me check facebook, email, etc. but it is slower and not as easy to use.  It does what I need it to but an ipad is much nicer, esp. if most of the family has i devices.

WAIT!

If she wants to see pictures and that is all, get her a digital frame that shows pictures emailed to it.  I am doing this very thing this week.  It is passive on my mom's part; we set it up, and then we email pictures and they just show up in the frame.  

How does it show up just by emailing?

It's MAGIC!

I don't know but my friend's mom (a technophobe) adores hers. Her children and grandchildren send her pics all the time--it's a new frame every day.

Oooooh! I want one for my MIL -- but I need one that works without internet. She doesn't have a computer or cell phone or anything. I know she'd love to see more photos.

Then you get a non wi-fi one and teach her how to swap out the jump drive or ssd card when you mail one to her with new pictures on it. She can mail you back the ild one. I put one in our parish and I update it after every feast.

You might be surprised at how much she winds up doing with an iPad! They are so easy to use. I know lots of seniors who use them for photos, video chatting, reading magazines, watching videos, and most of all . . . wait for it . . . playing games. A ridiculous number of game, lol, but I do think that even some of the simpler ones help keep the mind sharp. Regardless, they definitely enjoy it. 

Digital frames are certainly cheaper, but I will say that we haven't had great luck with them. I mean, they last okay for the price, but then you have to replace. An iPad also makes it so much easier to add in some comments and such if desired, rather than just having the photo appear. 

You might be surprised at how much she winds up doing with an iPad! They are so easy to use. I know lots of seniors who use them for photos, video chatting, reading magazines, watching videos, and most of all . . . wait for it . . . playing games. A ridiculous number of game, lol, but I do think that even some of the simpler ones help keep the mind sharp. Regardless, they definitely enjoy it. 

Digital frames are certainly cheaper, but I will say that we haven't had great luck with them. I mean, they last okay for the price, but then you have to replace. An iPad also makes it so much easier to add in some comments and such if desired, rather than just having the photo appear. 

This. My mother uses her iPad constantly. CONSTANTLY. 

I like my ds' kindle fire a LOT, but I would get the ipad instead. The ipad is faster, more fluid, more user-proof. The kindle is slower, more fidgety, and less intuitive. 

How is her vision? Can she hold an ipad or are you going with mini? Think about the weight. Put a Tech21 case on it. Do they make Tech21 cases for ipads? I LOVE their case for my iphone, wow. Not slippery, would be perfect for that.

WAIT!

If she wants to see pictures and that is all, get her a digital frame that shows pictures emailed to it.  I am doing this very thing this week.  It is passive on my mom's part; we set it up, and then we email pictures and they just show up in the frame.

My sister bought one of these for my parents who are in their 90's and it works great. They really enjoy it.

My sister bought one of these for my parents who are in their 90's and it works great. They really enjoy it.

So does my mom.  I want to get her a wi-fi one, though, which my sister can manage, so we can send current pictures.