Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW10: Mystery March

Robin M

I also read and enjoyed Anne Bishop's Etched in Bone which is the fifth book in her The Others series; this is a series I'd recommend reading in order.  I'm actually tempted to go back and re-read all of the series to date.

"New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop returns to her world of the Others, as humans struggle to survive in the shadow of shapeshifters and vampires far more powerful than themselves...

After a human uprising was brutally put down by the Elders—a primitive and lethal form of the Others—the few cities left under human control are far-flung. And the people within them now know to fear the no-man’s-land beyond their borders—and the darkness...

As some communities struggle to rebuild, Lakeside Courtyard has emerged relatively unscathed, though Simon Wolfgard, its wolf shifter leader, and blood prophet Meg Corbyn must work with the human pack to maintain the fragile peace. But all their efforts are threatened when Lieutenant Montgomery’s shady brother arrives, looking for a free ride and easy pickings.

With the humans on guard against one of their own, tensions rise, drawing the attention of the Elders, who are curious about the effect such an insignificant predator can have on a pack. But Meg knows the dangers, for she has seen in the cards how it will all end—with her standing beside a grave..."

For those familiar with the series, I see that Lake Silence, book six (due out some time in 2018), will start a new story arc which will not center on the Courtyard.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I also read and enjoyed Anne Bishop's Etched in Bone which is the fifth book in her The Others series; this is a series I'd recommend reading in order. I'm actually tempted to go back and re-read all of the series to date.

"New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop returns to her world of the Others, as humans struggle to survive in the shadow of shapeshifters and vampires far more powerful than themselves...

After a human uprising was brutally put down by the Elders—a primitive and lethal form of the Others—the few cities left under human control are far-flung. And the people within them now know to fear the no-man’s-land beyond their borders—and the darkness...

As some communities struggle to rebuild, Lakeside Courtyard has emerged relatively unscathed, though Simon Wolfgard, its wolf shifter leader, and blood prophet Meg Corbyn must work with the human pack to maintain the fragile peace. But all their efforts are threatened when Lieutenant Montgomery’s shady brother arrives, looking for a free ride and easy pickings.

With the humans on guard against one of their own, tensions rise, drawing the attention of the Elders, who are curious about the effect such an insignificant predator can have on a pack. But Meg knows the dangers, for she has seen in the cards how it will all end—with her standing beside a grave..."

For those familiar with the series, I see that Lake Silence, book six (due out some time in 2018), will start a new story arc which will not center on the Courtyard.

Regards,

Kareni

I picked both the new Patricia Briggs and the new The Others books up at the library late Wednesday. Dd took The Others. She is loving it. Past the halfway mark last I knew. Glad that you enjoyed it too.

I carried the Patricia Briggs around with me but have only managed a couple of pages. Maybe today....

• Like 7

One does not expect to be in mourning because of Internet relationships but such was the case for me yesterday. It was a good reminder of the power of words--particularly that the written word is subject to interpretation. What one person finds poignant or humorous is old hat or an insult to another.

At the dinner table or coffee bar we see facial expressions to help guide us with our explanations. Here we have only words and our own ability--or in my case, lack of ability--to craft those words well.

Yet behind those words live emotions and intentions that are then parsed like grammar itself. How odd to awaken to a mine field at the breakfast table wondering how or if one should even tread.

For the healing power of words, I suggest News of the World which came highly recommended. VC, this buggy ride through post-Civil War Texas may delight you as much as it did me.

• Like 17

I feel like my last post was a lie. Despite my best intentions, I couldn't get more than a third of the way into To the Lighthouse. It was just blah, blah,blah. Droning on and on, revealing peoples' innermost illusions and disillusions, pathos, silent martyrdom, petty thoughts, yada, yada. 

I can't read Woolf but not for lack of trying. I somehow made it through Mrs. Dalloway but tried and failed at Orlando, A Room of One's Own, and To the Lighthouse. I figured I gave her a good try, so I won't be trying again. Ever.

• Like 13

With midterms this week, my reading time has been limited. I'm still working through Spark. It's slow going because I either have to stop and find someone to read passages to "Hey, honey, listen to this......"  or "Hey class, listen to what I just learned about exercise and ...." or I have to write down interesting tidbits and leads to other articles in a notebook (I'm up to page 6 of notes and I'm only halfway through Spark).  I've done some research on Carl Lavie - the cardiologist who has studied exercise and heart disease - so that rabbit trail didn't help with keeping on top of Spark. It's all good, though, and I am thoroughly happy with the book. Spring Break begins today and I have 10 days of no class prep, classes, or grading. I plan on getting in lots of reading.

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 13

With midterms this week, my reading time has been limited. I"m still working through Spark. It's slow going because I either have to stop and find someone to read passages to "Hey, honey, listen to this......" or "Hey class, listen to what I just learned about exercise and ...." or I have to write down interesting tidbits and leads to other articles in a notebook (I'm up to page 6 of notes and I'm only halfway through Spark). I've done some research on Carl Lavie - the cardiologist who has studied exercise and heart disease - so that rabbit trail didn't help with keeping on top of Spark. It's all good, though, and I am thoroughly happy with the book. Spring Break begins today and I have 10 days of no class prep, classes, or grading. I plan on getting in lots of reading.

I had to abandon that one for a while. I think I will go back to it during summer break. :)

• Like 9

On this morning's walk, I stopped as I often do at the "Wee Free" box. A fisherman who had been cast netting for bait in the estuary suggested a series of books that I am not about to read but I still politely thanked him for the idea. My husband and I continued walking while the fisherman got into his pick up truck.  He then drove along side us at our walking pace, window down, to suggest that we listen to the aforementioned series on Audible with the speed adjusted.  All the information in less time! 

• Like 10

I haven't been able to catch up with the BAW thread for several days. I'm still reading the Lakeshore Chronicles series by Susan Wiggs. I have quite a few books on my currently reading list, but am only dipping in here and there. We have a snow day today, so maybe I'll get some more reading done!

A one day only currently free classic Western for Kindle readers ~

Gunman's Reckoning by Max Brand

"A gunman agrees to do a rich man’s dirty work in this classic Western from one of the genre’s early masters

Donnegan is not proud of his past. But when words ran dry and matters could only be settled with a gun, he never hesitated to make things right. Now fate has led him to The Corner, a wide-open gold-mining town in the valley where two rivers join. An invalid by the name of Colonel Macon wants Donnegan to settle a long-standing land claim that’s been taken over by outlaws. Charmed by the colonel’s beautiful daughter, the gunman agrees. But nothing is as it seems in The Corner, where the line separating good from evil is so badly blurred it might not be there at all.

A contemporary of Zane Grey and a major influence on Louis L’Amour, Max Brand was a true master of the Western. Gunman’s Reckoning is a fine example of the moral complexity, fluid prose, and nonstop action that defines the best of his work."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

On this morning's walk, I stopped as I often do at the "Wee Free" box. A fisherman who had been cast netting for bait in the estuary suggested a series of books that I am not about to read but I still politely thanked him for the idea. My husband and I continued walking while the fisherman got into his pick up truck.  He then drove along side us at our walking pace, window down, to suggest that we listen to the aforementioned series on Audible with the speed adjusted.  All the information in less time! 

The fisherman in question sounds like a book proselytizer ... a book missionary (... a book fishonary?). 

I'm curious now ~ what was the series he was so ardently recommending?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

My sisters dog once chewed into the bulk chocolate chips and ate around 4kg 😟

I can't concentrate on books on situations like that either. I read an entire book when I was in early stages of labour and I have very little idea what it was like. My eyes scanned the pages that's all.

Oh, dang!  That's a lot!  My dog is a little 10 pound chihuahua mix and since it was a percentage between dark and baking chocolate even if she got the lesser amount of 1 ounce it would have been potentially fatal.  Her heart rate was up in the 200s with medication trying to bring it down.  The same amount of milk chocolate wouldn't have even been an issue.  This morning she's much more alert and interested in what is going on around her.  She's eaten about 1/4 of the can of gastrointestinal support wet food and it's all stayed down today.  I'm giving her progressively bigger amounts and she's doing great.  She practically inhaled her last serving.  She's also started scrounging around on the floor for crumbs left behind by little boys, guinea pigs, and sugar gliders so I know she'll be just fine very soon.

I think it's the concentration.  Even when I've tried to read and don't remember at all what I've read and that's just frustrating,

I finished reading A Chance for Sunny Skies.  It's the book I picked based on the cover only a few weeks ago and finally got around to reading it.

51Kg%2Bq7-ncL.jpg

I liked it a lot for the first 4/5 of the book.  Then it got annoying.  I felt like the author got to the end of a good story and realized it wasn't quite long enough and so screwed everything up and changed things and made people behave a bit differently from how they had before in order to make it longer.  I didn't even read the synopsis before reading it since I chose it 100% based on the picture on the cover so I had no idea what it would be about.  I was quite happy with my choice right up until the last bit.

• Like 10

I've had this mystery/thriller book on my Amazon wish list for a while, and it's  currently free  for Kindle readers ~

Winter Wind  By: J.R. Rain

"Five years ago, Lee Jordan was nearly killed on the job. Now deaf, blind, and mute, he's recovered enough to live a routine but silent life.

However, now, the LAPD needs him back...

When the cases of many missing persons are tied together with the same M.O., Lee Jordan is called in to help locate people who seemingly walked away from their everyday lives. But did they? Lee's only assets are his guide dog, fourteen years of experience as a homicide detective—and an intriguing American Sign Language translator named Rachel.

Just as Lee begins to discover something remarkable about himself, he must engage in a battle of wits with a murderer he can't see or hear. With no weapons but his own mind—and a guide dog with a heart of gold—he sets off alone in Los Angeles to investigate the disappearances.

It's only a matter of time before more people may die under nefarious circumstances. And the manner of death could put the entire city at risk from...something even more dangerous.

Lee Jordan knows there is more to fighting crime than meets the eye, or ear, or voice. But will he survive his courageous solo pursuit of a twisted killer on the mean streets of L.A.? And can he really stop a madman by himself?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I finished Riordan's The Hammer of Thor while impatiently rechecking the status of the latest Anne Bishop book at my library. How many days does it take to slap on a barcode and enter it into the system? Apparently more than five...:toetap05: (and the new Mercy Thompson book is still listed as on order):drool:

Off to read the fourth Others book while waiting...

• Like 8

I read Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume.  I read it like a dozen time as a kid.  It popped up free on BookBub one day so I got it.  It's still good.  I find it interesting how it was so shocking because of frank discussion of periods and bras and the parents being different religions and so letting the daughter pick when she grows up.  I remember when I first read it, probably when I was 11 so 1989ish, someone told me it was a really "naughty" book.  Now I don't think it would shock anyone at all if a book like that was released.  I grew up with a bunch of kids in the same religious situation, actually.  My best friend at the time I read it had a Jewish parent and a Christian parent so she was kind of both growing up with the expectation she'd pick one when she grew up.  So even the late 80s were quite different from 1970 when the book was published and the 2000-teens are even more different.  I can see how it must've caused quite a stir when she wrote it.

I finally finished Hidden Figures.  I really liked it.  It was just so much information I had to take breaks.  It's really cool how they all - black, white, male, female - all worked together to meet the NACA/NASA goals inside the Langley gates while all the while segregation was the rule of the land, and severely so in Virginia.

I've now finished spelling out amethyst.  Only took me an extra 10 days!

The Age of Daredevils

Melissa Explains it All

Early Graves

Ten Tea Parties

Hidden Figures

Yorkshire Christmas

The Story of Awkward

Tutti Frutti

ETA: My daughter put up her third video.  She's ridiculously hyper in it and shows off our animals and talks a little bit about how they help her while she's sick.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 13

I finished up El laberinto de los espíritus.  I'm glad to have finished up the series, but I have to say that not many books need to be 900+ pages long... not sure this was one of them...

Now I'm trying to finish of The Autobiography of Malcolm X, just because the ebook is going to auto-return itself tomorrow and I'm not quite halfway through!  If it weren't going to disappear I'd be putting it on hold for a bit to read other things.  I'm also listening to Utopia and being a bit amazed at how a book written 500 or so years ago can have so much commentary that seems disturbingly relevant to today's political atmosphere.  :sad:  Human nature really doesn't change, huh...

I've got Radiance in from the library and am looking forward to starting that next.  After I've cleansed my palate with that, I'm hoping to start Nordermoor/Jar City to get in my Nordic mystery. :)

• Like 11

I finished the awakening of Miss Prim. In the end it was about a three star book I think. There were some things I really liked about the book. It has a certain amount of charm. It's different. However in areas it felt almost preachy or condescending. Definitely suffered from chronological snobbery - anything from the last century is good and anything modern is bad. The plot is loosely (very loosely) similar to Pride and Prejudice. The language feels artificially old fashioned in parts but it is a translation so it may be partly the translators fault. People spend way too much time eating cakes and drinking hot chocolate and never getting fat. It's presented as though a classical education at home and artisan baked goods and crafted items is the solution to everything. I suspect that the fact that most of the major characters are independently wealthy, can afford full time servants probably helps. I know from experience that having everything home made and home schooling all the children is nothing at all like that without a lot of money. Most of the time it's a huge amount of work.

• Like 8

I finished up El laberinto de los espíritus. I'm glad to have finished up the series, but I have to say that not many books need to be 900+ pages long... not sure this was one of them...

Now I'm trying to finish of The Autobiography of Malcolm X, just because the ebook is going to auto-return itself tomorrow and I'm not quite halfway through! If it weren't going to disappear I'd be putting it on hold for a bit to read other things. I'm also listening to Utopia and being a bit amazed at how a book written 500 or so years ago can have so much commentary that seems disturbingly relevant to today's political atmosphere. :sad: Human nature really doesn't change, huh...

I've got Radiance in from the library and am looking forward to starting that next. After I've cleansed my palate with that, I'm hoping to start Nordermoor/Jar City to get in my Nordic mystery. :)

I'm not sure if you are reading on a kindle or still on your phone but you can turn your wifi off and keep the book a couple more days. It will return from your library account but still be available to you. I do this all the time.

A couple of recent finishes. Snowblind by Ragnar Jonasson is a recent release in the US but has actually been translated and available in the UK for a few years. It's an Icelandic mystery set during the financial collapse. The mystery takes place in Siglufjordur which is on the north coast of Iceland, you actually have to drive through a long tunnel to reach the small 1200 person village. As you can tell I liked this one! The main character was a nice guy who had recently graduated from police academy.

I also finished First Comes Love then Comes Malaria https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4558426-first-comes-love-then-comes-malaria which was a humorous memoir about an eighties college graduate's time in the peace corps and her life after as an ex pat. It was interesting and definitely explained to me how my introverted college acquaintance changed to a really assertive woman during her time in the peace corps. I remember being rather surprised when I saw her at a wedding a few years after graduation. I'm planning on using it as my woman's adventure Bingo Square.

• Like 8

A one day only currently free book for Kindle readers ~

R. Holmes & Co. by John Kendrick Bangs

About the Author: John Kendrick Bangs (May 27, 1862 – January 21, 1922) was an American author, editor and satirist.

"Raffles Holmes comes from impressive stock, with both larceny and detection in his blood in equal measure. He’s the son of the legendary detective Sherlock Holmes, and the grandson of gentleman criminal A. J. Raffles. No wonder he’s so conflicted between the desire to solve crimes and the urge to make sure the rich get their deserved comeuppance. Yet there is one ambition that is consistent in both sides of Holmes: making money. What’s the easiest way for him to make that cash? Selling the stories of his exploits, of course. And what tales they are! Holmes is as smooth an operator as his grandfather, and he finds himself the culprit of cases nearly as often as he is the detective. Whether burglarizing for the greater good, fighting a desire to steal priceless jewelry, or playing the part of a bandit in order to save someone, Holmes is a rakish hero worthy of his name."

Also currently free ~

The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

a contemporary romance that I've read and enjoyed:  Beyond Repair  by Susie Tate

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

With midterms this week, my reading time has been limited. I'm still working through Spark. It's slow going because I either have to stop and find someone to read passages to "Hey, honey, listen to this......"  or "Hey class, listen to what I just learned about exercise and ...." or I have to write down interesting tidbits and leads to other articles in a notebook (I'm up to page 6 of notes and I'm only halfway through Spark).  I've done some research on Carl Lavie - the cardiologist who has studied exercise and heart disease - so that rabbit trail didn't help with keeping on top of Spark. It's all good, though, and I am thoroughly happy with the book. Spring Break begins today and I have 10 days of no class prep, classes, or grading. I plan on getting in lots of reading.

I'm glad you are still enjoying it! The stuff I've learned reading it has certainly motivated me to get up and move.  

• Like 7

You are a writer, Robin. So, I'm sure you are aware of the power of words & word choices to impact, influence, & even intimidate others.

I realize this is not a "free" forum or thread & that we all agree to play by rules opting out of politics & a few other topics. For the most part, I think everyone willingly follows these rules for playing here on this shared space. When something is mentioned, it is usually briefly in conjunction with a book that has been read & the reader's reaction to the book. Or, as in this case, a book-, reading-, or author-related article is linked.

These comments are not the first time I'm seeing a political opinion is written as fact, as well as word choices being used to denigrate the posts & opinions of others. With the power of being leader, such actions contribute even more strongly to a culture of intimidation & self-censorship.

Whether I speak only for myself or on behalf of others who feel too intimidated to post, I will not stand silently by. The reaction was out of line & being used to promote a political opinion while shutting down any other opinions on the topic.

I'm posting this knowing that I haven't been able to keep up with the last few BaW threads (due to not-serious month long illness). I have not been a frequent or well-known poster, so I do feel out of place posting. I see the group hug and realize that I'm coming in way late here. (I know a new thread will start soon, though, so I feel like I can slip in and you all can just move on to the next week and not mind me! :001_smile: )

To me it seems like the group hug didn't really smooth everything over, much as I wish it did. Seeing that no one wants tension, I do have doubts about posting this so please skip over it if you were happy with just hugging and moving along.

With sincere respect to the work Robin puts into preparing these threads and running the group, I also want to say thank you, Stacia, for speaking up for those who did feel too intimidated to post previously. Again, with much respect for all the love that is put into this group, I can't understand seeing anyone using past remarks as ammunition. That's not how I've seen people behave here, over the years that I've read and followed along without posting.

I remember when Stacia spoke up before and I have to say how much I appreciate her voice on her. (And not just her voice -- I have really missed being on these threads while I was sick and was eager to jump back in with just good wishes and book talk. Just love that some of you have become Goodreads friends, too! :wub: )

I saw the feedback and felt it was offered respectfully and for the benefit of the group. Again, I know I'm not well-known here and hardly in a position to say what is good or right. But I was one who quietly took a very short break earlier this year, too intimidated to speak up. I have no issues with the opinions that I disagree with, btw. It was not what was said, but how it was said. 

I don't want to upset anyone who just wants to hug and move on. But I also want those who spoke up to know it was appreciated, too.

• Like 13

I'll try to repost this in the new thread when it appears later.

A one day only currently free book for Kindle readers ~

The Exploits of Elaine by Arthur B. Reeve

"The scientific detective known as the “American Sherlock Holmes†pursues a ruthless arch villain in this high-stakes suspense novel

Professor Craig Kennedy and his loyal sidekick, newspaper reporter Walter Jameson, first learn of the Clutching Hand and his gang when they investigate a string of murders involving the policyholders of Taylor Dodge’s insurance company. After receiving a threatening note signed by the arch criminal, Dodge himself is robbed and killed, and his daughter, Elaine, turns to Kennedy for help. Using the latest advances in forensic science, the professor uncovers the exotic and deadly scheme behind the murders. But when the Clutching Hand and his band of evildoers kidnap Elaine, Kennedy must shed his lab coat and leap into action before it’s too late.

First appearing in the pages of Cosmopolitan magazine, Craig Kennedy was one of the most popular detectives of the early twentieth century. Arthur B. Reeve also wrote the screenplay for the serial version of The Exploits of Elaine, which starred popular silent film actress Pearl White."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5