Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW10: Mystery March

Robin M

A one day only currently free work by the author of the Father Brown stories ~

Manalive by G. K. Chesterton 

"This audacious allegory transforms the old rule about judging a book by its cover into entertainment of the highest order

A wind sprang high in the west, like a wave of unreasonable happiness, and tore eastward across England, trailing with it the frosty scent of forests and the cold intoxication of the sea.

Seeking shelter from a storm of biblical proportions, a mysterious new tenant by the name of Innocent Smith arrives on the doorsteps of Beacon House. Eccentric, spry, and eager to make new friends, Innocent turns the culture of this ho-hum London boarding establishment upside down. But the fun and games come to an abrupt end when word arrives that the new lodger is wanted on charges of burglary, polygamy, desertion of a spouse, and murder. Only a jury of his peers can determine if Innocent is as guilty as he appears.

Written in upbeat and lighthearted prose, this charming novel of life, salvation, and the human predicament captures G. K. Chesterton at his finest."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

DH and I went to see Bill Bryson speak last night  :hurray: .

What fun!

I've read many of Bill Bryson's books.  My favorite is his The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way.

"With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience and sheer fun of the English language. From the first descent of the larynx into the throat (why you can talk but your dog can't), to the fine lost art of swearing, Bryson tells the fascinating, often uproarious story of an inadequate, second-rate tongue of peasants that developed into one of the world's largest growth industries."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 15

Whilst I was driving hither and yon last week, my husband was in Houston for business.  I suspect that it was Violet Crown who put the Czech immigrants of Texas on my radar. And wherever immigrants go, so goes the food...  It amused me to learn of the Texan style Czech kolache.  Kolaches bear a striking similarity to Danish, I suppose.  They are a slightly sweet yeast risen dough with a dab of a fruit or soft cheese filling, although the most traditional from my perspective is the poppy seed filling.  I adore poppy seeds so that would be my first choice of kolache.  (Say this with three syllables: ko-lach-ee). 

My husband told me about Texan kolaches which I have since Googled.  It appears that the most popular filling is not a sweet but a savory:  smoked sausage!  He also had a chicken kolache as well as a potato and egg version.  All of these were breakfast foods. 

I am on the one hand astounded and on the other impressed.  I like protein at breakfast which makes these kolaches sound interesting---although none could be as good as the traditional poppy.

I grew up near Texas Hill Country. In high school, I ate a kolache at least once a week (back when I had the metabolism); the local donut chain Shipleys served them every morning. The dough reminds me of the paczki you mentioned last week, a slightly sweetened yeast roll. I was actually thinking of using the Jenny Can Cook recipe to make kolaches for my kids.

• Like 11

Last week, I was laid low by the crud that's been circulating between my children. For some strange reason, I was refusing medicine, until my DH threatened to leave the bed at 11 pm to get me something so I could sleep without coughing. Thank goodness for Nyquill and Theraflu. My brain is functioning better, though I'm still easily exhausted.

Books read: 

• Kington Noir edited by Colin Channer. Noir Fiction. A collection of noir short stories set in Jamaica. Before kids, I would read true crime, mysteries, and noir books, though I wouldn't say I was drawn to the genre. After my first child, my consumption of realistic fiction and non-fiction dropped dramatically and reading these stories confirmed why. I'll read grim dark fantasy since there's an element of distance associated with an unreal world, but it's tough reading realistic scenarios of death and brutality. The stories were well-written so if you read noir, I recommend the series which has books set in different cities:  Paris Noir, Kansas City Noir, Tehran Noir, etc. Short Stories read for Bingo.
  • Borderline by Mishell Baker. Urban Fantasy, 2016 Nebula Award Nominee. A woman who's lost both legs and has borderline personality disorder discovers magic is real and Hollywood is run by the fey. I really wanted to like this book, finding the character premise interesting and not a usual perspective, especially in science fiction and fantasy. Unfortunately, I didn't find the story compelling. The main character navigates her physical limitations with ease; someone is always there to bring her wheelchair or pick her up when a villain is chasing her. It didn't feel real to me. I had to keep reminding myself the main character was an accomplished twenty-six year old as the book felt more like a YA novel.
  • The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. Russian Fairy Tale Fiction. The daughter of a witch finds herself caught up in a war between fairy tale creatures in the Russian forest. I kept hoping for a new twist on the fairy-tale stories. For a slightly different take on Russian fairy tales, I liked Enchantment by Orson Scott Card.
  • [ETA]Death, Dying, and the Afterlife by Mark Berkson. Cultural Studies. An overview of how various cultures view death and grieving. I don't think I could have listened to this a year ago. It was a tough listen, but worth it.

I'm trying to finish Everfair by Nisi Shawl, a steampunk novel set in the Belgian Congo, another Nebula nominee as well as finish up The Color of Magic.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 18

I read Sheri Cobb South's first John Pickett mystery a few weeks ago and requested a couple more from the library.  Last night I finished the second book in the series; I enjoyed it.

A Dead Bore (John Pickett Mysteries Book 2) by Sheri Cobb South

"Escaping scandal following her husband’s death, Lady Fieldhurst accepts an invitation to a house party. Tragedy follows her when the vicar, author of a dull local history, dies in a fire. She suspects murder, and sends to Bow Street for John Pickett. Posing as her footman, he investigates from belowstairs while she gathers information above. But Pickett finds her assistance both a help and an all-too-pleasant hindrance."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 15

And I've now finished the third volume in the series.  It too was an enjoyable read.

Family Plot (John Pickett Mysteries) by Sheri Cobb South

"The third installment of the John Pickett series of humorous Regency mysteries finds Bow Street Runner Pickett in Scotland investigating a woman found unconscious on the beach — a woman who bears a striking resemblance to the local laird's daughter, a girl missing and presumed dead for the last fifteen years. Pickett is surprised to discover that the woman was found by none other than Lady Fieldhurst and her three young nephews — and gratified to learn that her ladyship has registered at the seaside inn as Mrs. Julia Pickett. When old Angus Kirkbride dies only hours after announcing his intention of changing his will in his daughter's favor, "Mr. and Mrs. Pickett" must join forces to discover the truth about a family reunion suddenly turned deadly."

The only other book in the series that my library has in its collection is Too Hot to Handel.  When I first mentioned reading this series, someone kindly offered to loan me the other books.  Was it a name beginning with A? The search function is not revealing much.  If the offer is still open, please let me know.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13

Haven't  been here for a few weeks but I have been reading.

6. Leviathan Wakes- James S. A. Comey   This is book 1 of The Expanse series (which is also a series on SciFi and Prime (1st season).  I watched the first season before I read the book.  I really like this series and I do like the books a lot.  FIrst book is set in the future but not so many centuries later.  Earth is ruled by UN, Mars is a separate government and are trying to terraform the planet, people live on asteroids and moons.  No travel outside the solar system by humans yet.  Government/corporate collusion to make wars and produce new weapons becomes particularly deadly when a new life form from outside the solar system is used as a weapon.  Main characters are the survivors of an ice hauler, a policeman, and the man in charge of a station where they are building a huge ship for Mormons to travel past the solar system into other systems.  Highly recommended

7. Cold Turkey- Janice Bennet  an accountant quits her job and returns to a small Northern CA town where her aunt who raised her lives.  Finds aunt's dead accountant on arrival in her house.  New sheriff, having to organize Thanksgiving events in the small town, and solving the mysteries are part of the fun.  I liked the character and the mystery and will look to see if the author wrote more mysteries with that same character. Recommended

8. Caliban's War- James A Comey.  Second book of the Expanse series. The action switches to Ganymede and introduces a UN high administrator.  More problems with the government/corporate collusion and their attempts to use the new life form as a weapon.  THe collusion tries to start an EarthMars war.  Children with low immunity are abducted to become weapons. Still recommending the series.

• Like 18

I finished 3 books in the last couple of days -

A Burial at Sea - Charles Lenox mystery #5

Stories of Your Life and Others

Naughty in Nice audiobook - Her Royal Spyness #5

Funny, I finished the fifth book in two of the series I've been reading/listening to, and am about to start the fifth in another series (Brother Cadfael). 

As I finished these I've been having a hard time trying to decide what I want to read next. The decision really should be made for me. I have 4 books from the library and am #1 on the list for another book so it should be available any day now. I figured I should either get to these books or not turn on my Kindle's wifi for quite a while.

Stories of Your Life and Others was one of the four, and since I only had one story left in the book that was a no-brainer. I finished it earlier today so now I'm down to three library books. Next, I thought I should look at due dates. The Cellist of Sarajevo is due back the soonest so I started reading it. The other two current library books are The Sisters Brothers and The Man in the Queue. The Draining Lake is the one on hold for which I'm next in line. It's my March Nordic plus Mystery March choice.

The thing is, I really want to read Doctor Zhivago and A Gentleman in Moscow, both of which I own and therefore don't have to worry about due dates. 

For my next audio book I plan to finish Infidel. I got sidetracked by some lighter fare but am ready to get back to this one now.

• Like 16

I finished reading The Age of Daredevils by Michael Clarkson.  It was pretty good.  Not exactly what I was expecting.  It was about people who have (purposefully) gone over the falls at Niagara.  Really, it was about a specific family who had several stunters.  It barely touched on others who made it over alive (none of the focus family made it over alive, actually).

• Like 14

I give up. Maybe later. Grrr!

Hey Kathy,

I run into trouble if I hit the edit html button in the top left hand corner of the menu.  Sometimes it works and other times it grays out 

eta plus it loses part of what I typed. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 10

Add me to the list of people for whom multi-quote doesn't work. Let's see if I can remember everything I wanted to comment on.

Aggieamy -- tech week and performances of school productions are indeed exhausting! AND they are a fertile petri-dish for whatever virus is circulating town. I'm no longer a stage mom, but a free lance musician in the orchestra pit who is in numerous productions each year. I just finished a production at a high school and am now battling "pit plague" from all the teachers and students coughing and sneezing all around me.

Kolaches -- An upcoming road trip will be taking dh and me across the great state of Texas, and I've added kolaches to my list of things to eat on the road. Will gladly accept other recommendations, btw.

Thanks to Negin and Mumto2 I've got 2 more titles on my Kindle, Belgravia and Lucifer's Tears.

As far as my own reading, a couple of very different books.

Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche by Haruki Murakami was a very compelling book. (Thank you, Stacia!)  It is a collection of short bios and interviews with survivors of the sarin gas poison unleashed on the Tokyo subway system by members of the Aum Shinrikyo cult followed by some interviews with members of the cult who were not part of the attack. In between there is thoughtful and insightful commentary by Murakami. It is a snapshot of Japanese society with its deeply cultural work ethic and sense of duty, and at the same time a very personal piece of work by an author who feels himself an outsider in his own country. 

I find myself becoming a fan girl, especially after reading this 2011 piece from the New York Times Magazine. The Fierce Imagination of Haruki Murakami

The other book I read last week annoyed me to no end. Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead is about a professional ballerina who becomes pregnant and leaves the ballet world while she is still a young dancer in the corp de ballet.  I thought the premise was promising, but it was a disappointing rehash of the movie The Turning Point with characters that were thinly veiled versions of real people from the 1970s era of New York City Ballet. It was one of those modern works of fiction advertised with blurbs about "shocking revelations" or "explosive secrets". Meh. Saw the "shocking revelation" coming from a mile away and really didn't care about any of the characters. 

The Invisible LIbrary by Genevieve Cogman finally arrived on hold at the library. I know a few of you have read it already and I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 13

DH and I went to see Bill Bryson speak last night  :hurray: . I almost didn't go because, while of course I know who he is and what he has written, I confess that I have never read any of his books. But it was free, so I got over myself :) I'm glad I went! He was witty and affable, and of course now I want to read him. A Walk in the Woods seems like an obvious place to start, but I am open to another title.

As an aside, I am so impressed with the town we live in now. The arts here are wonderfully supported. Last night, it was first-come-first-serve with doors opening 30 minutes ahead of the talk. By the time we got there, the line snaked around two corners and through a parking garage. I really had my doubts that we would get a seat. The venue holds 1200 and we were one of the last to get seats. They let the overflow hang out in the lobby and the talk was broadcast into the lobby. Nobody was turned away.

My favorite was Walk in the Woods.  If you can get it as an audiobook then I highly recommend doing that.  

BAW friends on goodreads: Are you as fascinated as I am to see the intricate web of books choices and how we are affecting each other? It's like a visual representation of what happens here in this thread. Just my musing for the day.

I love watching books pop up on goodreads that we've been discussing here or a bunch of people start rating the same book.  We're such a close knit little group here on BaW ... I love it!

Hmm, multiquote not working for me, either. I was going to say that I too am enjoying the web-of-goodreads created by everyone's reading lives. But then when I went onto goodreads this morning, I had this post:

Based on your reading preferences, you might enjoy:

33397807.jpg

Um, probably not?? I don't think I've ever read a book with a scantily clad man on the cover in my life, and I'm not really into romances (other than GH Regencies). I think they need to revisit their recommendation algorithm!  :lol:  I'm guessing this is because I read Girls and Sex and put Come As You Are on my TR shelf, but those are nonfiction books . . .

I was feeling restless last night before bed, so I picked up The Vegetarian and got sucked right in - 100 pages later, I had to force myself to put it down and go to sleep. Translated from Korean, set in S. Korea, it ostensibly tells the story of a woman who has a bad dream involving meat and blood and then decides to become a vegetarian. I say ostensibly, because so far it isn't much about her or her motivations, it's about how the people in her life react to her decision. The first section was told from the POV of her husband - a wonderful unreliable, schmucky narrator - and the second is her brother-in-law, I'm curious if the third and final section will let us inside her head, or not. Anyway, it's quite a gripping read.

The algorithm thing is totally off.  I get so many strange recommendation it's absurd.  And really I love only certain genres so I should be easy to recommend books to.  

And I've now finished the third volume in the series.  It too was an enjoyable read.

Family Plot (John Pickett Mysteries) by Sheri Cobb South

"The third installment of the John Pickett series of humorous Regency mysteries finds Bow Street Runner Pickett in Scotland investigating a woman found unconscious on the beach — a woman who bears a striking resemblance to the local laird's daughter, a girl missing and presumed dead for the last fifteen years. Pickett is surprised to discover that the woman was found by none other than Lady Fieldhurst and her three young nephews — and gratified to learn that her ladyship has registered at the seaside inn as Mrs. Julia Pickett. When old Angus Kirkbride dies only hours after announcing his intention of changing his will in his daughter's favor, "Mr. and Mrs. Pickett" must join forces to discover the truth about a family reunion suddenly turned deadly."

The only other book in the series that my library has in its collection is Too Hot to Handel.  When I first mentioned reading this series, someone kindly offered to loan me the other books.  Was it a name beginning with A? The search function is not revealing much.  If the offer is still open, please let me know.

Regards,

Kareni

I believe it did start with an A ... for Amy or aggieamy!  :)  I'll send you a PM tomorrow and we'll coordinate.  

• Like 13

Kolaches - 3/4 of my grandparents are Czech, so I've eaten many kolaches. There is also a large Czech population in my city and a small area called Czech Village with shops, bars, restaurants and a Czech and Slovak museum. In this area, everyone pronounces the word with only two syllables. Interesting that it is pronounced with three syllables in Texas. I will ask my grandmother if she has heard that.

I finished I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings as an audiobook, and am grateful to Schadenfreud for recommending the audiobook version. I might never have read it otherwise, and I loved it. Her family was amazing, not always good, but amazing.

I also read An Experiment in Criticism by C.S. Lewis, which was very readable and makes me want to read more nonfiction by him - nothing religious. I read this with some other people online, and most were turned off by the first chapter, which did come off as snobbish, comparing people who read lightly, mainly just reading the plot for entertainment, to people who read more fully. He clears that up in chapter two, but it seems many people get so worked up by chapter one they don't make it that far.

Truck Dance, a short book of flash fiction by Jeff Landon. Some fun dialogue. 

Listened to On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner, light reading, maybe especially if you've already read several books on writing. 

Currently reading:

From the Beast to the Blonde - chapters 2 and 3

Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopknson, which is a SF book with a 1984ish all-knowing government, Anansi, Carnival (festive season). The entire book (I assume) is written in a "hybrid Creole" that, according to the author in this interview, is "largely a blend of Jamaican and Trinidadian." 

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales, as I have only read Household Tales before, and whatever stories were in various fairy and folk tale anthologies I've read to my children.

Listening to Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand, which I love. It's like The Turn of the Screw in that it's a ghosty Gothic novella and Some Kind of Fairy Tale for the romantic English countryside. 

I put the recommended reading list from Once Upon a Time: A Short History of Fairy Tale up on List Challenges, here.

• Like 16

I believe it did start with an A ... for Amy or aggieamy!   :)  I'll send you a PM tomorrow and we'll coordinate.  

Thank you very much.  I was fairly certain it was you but wanted to be certain.

I'll await your message.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I got so enthused about the Goodreads comments I forgot to post about finishing Lucifer's Tears. https://www.goodreads.com/review/edit/8854839-lucifer-s-tears. I really liked it, so much it got 5 stars from me on Goodreads. I loved the storyline continuation from the first Inspector Vaara book. It was probably more sad than anything with moments of great joy. So a good character path. I'm scared to open the next one but satisfied with this books ending. I decided to use it for my translation bingo square since I enjoyed it so much!

Also one of the cases was interesting historically and at some point requires further research which probably just means a discussion with dh who is a military historian. Finland's position during WWII was difficult because of a deep historical dislike (being polite) of Russia. That much I know is correct but beyond that I need to do research. It made a great story no matter what! :lol:

I also finished my other kindle book during the night. Very little sleep. I hate insomnia.

Now that I have slept a bit it has occurred to me that this book doesn't qualify as a translated Bingo Square because the author first wrote it in English. http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/culture/culture/culture3/11498-finnish-american-writer-jim-thompson-is-dead-2.html I believe it was first published in Finnish but not positive about that. It's definitely still a Scandinavian mystery but not a translated Scandinavian mystery.

I am so sorry if I messed someone's planning up.

Eta. I am so hungry for a jam filled pastry right now. Apricot sounds yummy!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 14

Erin, get better soon. My Bulgarian friend swears by hot tea and rum as helping with colds and flu. ;)

Butter, I never let my celiac hold me back. Here ya go! #1  #2  #3    I love the internet and people who make these recipes for me. Now, I will get my baker ds to bake for me today.  He has spring break for DE classes so he has a little bit of free time. What better way to use it than baking for his mom. :D

I need to have blood drawn later so I have got to get my workout in and it's a full hour today....in other words, Get Off The Book Thread! It  helps if I yell at myself. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 16

Here is a lovely poem (in translation) from In Praise of Defeat by Abdellatif Laabi:

Two Hours on the Train

During two hours on the train

I rerun the film of my life

Two minutes per year on average

Half an hour for childhood

Another half-hour for prison

Love, books, wandering

take up the rest

the hand of my companion

gradually melts into mine

and her head on my shoulder

is as light as a dove

When we arrive

I'll be fifty or so

and still have

about an hour

to live

• Like 17

Aly has been reading through history this year with a variety of classics and historical fiction. We've not made it through as many books as I hoped for but that's ok. Anyway, quite a few of you recommended Jospehine Tey's Daughter of Time. Aly finished it last night, and it was her favorite so far. So thanks for the rec everyone! Her top three so far are The Daughter Of Time, The Shadow Spinner, and The Odyssey. Definitely a weird grouping of favorites!

I'm not finishing much lately, which is annoying. Currently reading...

Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Hidden Figures

Anne of Windy Poplars

And listening to Talking to a Dragons

What I'm really in the mood for is a fluffy, light, quick read. Sigh.

• Like 15

Ahh, Jane, thanks for sharing this. Kind of puts it all into perspective, doesn't it?

Here is a lovely poem (in translation) from In Praise of Defeat by Abdellatif Laabi:

Two Hours on the Train

During two hours on the train

I rerun the film of my life

Two minutes per year on average

Half an hour for childhood

Another half-hour for prison

Love, books, wandering

take up the rest

the hand of my companion

gradually melts into mine

and her head on my shoulder

is as light as a dove

When we arrive

I'll be fifty or so

and still have

about an hour

to live

• Like 14

Last night was frustrating. Not only is multi-quote not working for me, but html isn't working either. I couldn't even quote manually. Anyway...

I thought this was interesting. Whether or not one thinks the obscenities should be taken out, as a former teacher I know it wouldn't get approved with them in. I think it's wonderful when teachers are able to use fiction as a teaching tool.

Andy Weir's Best Seller 'The Martian' Gets a Classroom Friendly Makeover

Negin - Belgravia has been on my to-read list for a while but since my library has it, I'll just check it out when I'm ready.

Penguin - Voices from Chernobyl looks interesting. My library has the print copy. I remember when word of the accident started trickling out - back then when the Soviet Union still existed - it was difficult to get accurate information about anything that went on inside that country.

Mumto2 - Lucifer's Tears looked interesting, then I realized it's the same series as Snow Angels (was that you who mentioned it here a while back?). I had Snow Angels on my library wish list but hadn't added it to Goodreads. It's there now. :)

Onceuponatime - Yes! It's fun to see the connections between these threads and Goodreads. I didn't get the sexy shirtless guy book recommendation though. I wonder what you all are reading that I'm not. ;)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 17

Kolaches - I went to high school in San Antonio and while there we frequently went on weekend trips to the hill country.  Then I went to college at Texas A&M. I remember seeing kolaches but never had one until I moved back to the midwest. Silly, isn't it? They are rare here and a treat.  It's probably for the best because I really like them and I'm sure I would have had one a day while in college if I had known how good they were and then my freshmen fifteen would have been a freshman fifty!

Cookbook lovers! Have you read Mark Bittman's How to Bake Everything? I borrowed if from the library but am going to have to purchase it because it is simply splendid. All the recipes I've tried have been wonderful and he does interesting things like "here's ten things you can add to these cookie to make the interesting" or "here's some substitutions you can make".  Highly recommend.

I'll share a recipe from the book that we're calling "breakfast cookies" because I encourage my children to feel better about their bad food decisions in the morning.  :)

1/2 c peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
1 1/2 c oats, old fashioned
3 ripe bananas, the ones that your husband thinks you should throw out because they are starting to look a little too brown to eat
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons sugar
4 oz nuts, or chocolate chips
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat the oven to 350°F.

Pour the oats onto a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in the oven until they begin to turn golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

Mash the bananas in the mixer or by hand.  Add all other ingredients.  

Drop tablespoon-size mounds of dough onto lightly greased baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 17, minutes until golden brown. Cool for about 2 minutes on the sheets before transferring the cookies to wire racks to finish cooling. These will keep in an air- tight container for a day or two.

• Like 16

I finished The Vegetarian last night. It gets full stars for pulling me in to a compelling, intriguing story. I was a little disappointed that the title character remained as enigmatic at the end as she had been at the beginning, but I did like the third section, told from the sister's POV.  The men in the first two sections - the husband and the brother in law - are just completely repellent, selfish human beings. No sympathy there whatsoever, although I really appreciate from a writing pov how well drawn the unsympathetic characters were.  I guess I would recommend this book, but it's not for the faint-hearted, it's ultimately a very tragic story about a woman who literally tries to disappear from her own life. Kind of horrible, actually.

• Like 12

I'll share a recipe from the book that we're calling "breakfast cookies" because I encourage my children to feel better about their bad food decisions in the morning.  :)

... These will keep in an air- tight container for a day or two.

Not here they wouldn't!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

It was a cute quick read. Nothing new in the way of Hygge ideas that you haven't read before though likely.

The cover is darn cute which is why I wondered if I should see what is inside. If no one else wants it, you can send it my way. But if someone else responds, please pass it to her.

• Like 11

Last night was frustrating. Not only is multi-quote not working for me, but code isn't working either. I couldn't even quote manually. Anyway...

I thought this was interesting. Whether or not one things the obscenities should be taken out, as a former teacher I know it wouldn't get approved with them in. I think it's wonderful when teachers are able to use fiction as a teaching tool. 

Negin - Belgravia has been on my to-read list for a while but since my library has it, I'll just check it out when I'm ready. 

Penguin - Voices from Chernobyl looks interesting. My library as the print copy. I remember when word of the accident started trickling out - back then when the Soviet Union still existed - it was difficult to get accurate information about anything that went on inside that country. 

Mumto2 - Lucifer's Tears looked interesting, then I realized it's the same series as Snow Angels (was that you who mentioned it here a while back?). I had Snow Angels on my library wish list but hadn't added it to Goodreads. It's there now. :)

Onceuponatime - Yes! It's fun to see the connections between these threads and Goodreads. I didn't get the sexy shirtless guy book recommendation though. I wonder what you all are reading that I'm not. ;)

I am SO thrilled that they've made a classroom version of The Martian!! I have been wanting to read it, and I'm fairly certain Aly will love it. Thanks for this info! I'm going to use it next year in science.

• Like 11

... I think it's wonderful when teachers are able to use fiction as a teaching tool. 

My husband and I had talked about using The Martian in one of his classes, but he had decided that some of his more conservative families would have issues with the language.  I'll be sending this link his way.  Thanks for posting it, Lady Florida.

A one day only currently free book for Kindle readers ~

A Voyage to Arcturus  by David Lindsay

"One of the most original and acclaimed science fiction novels of the twentieth century

This landmark work of speculative fiction follows the adventurer Maskull as he travels to Tormance, the lone planet revolving around the double star system Arcturus. Each new land that Maskull visits is ruled by a different philosophy, and he must navigate each in succession as his body changes in response to the varying environments in which he finds himself. Never sure of his surroundings, Maskull must determine what we will and will not do to survive—a metaphysical inquiry that propels him toward an unforgettable final realization.

A major influence on C. S. Lewis’s Space Trilogy, A Voyage to Arcturus is a surreal and masterful investigation into the meaning of good and evil, the nature of God, and the origins of the universe."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

From Tor.com ~

"Tor.com's eBook of the Month Club

At the start of each month, we'll post about a new book. By signing up for the program, you will receive the Tor.com newsletter and monthly alerts when the new ebook offer becomes available*.

9781429966276_FC_sm.jpg

Each ebook will be available for seven days. But we’ll spend the month talking about the featured title through discussion posts, author features, and more. Please visit Tor.com and join the conversation!

Shadow & Claw will be available from March 7th-13th. Download before Midnight, March 13th, 2017.

If you already receive the Tor.com newsletter, you still need to sign up for this program to get your free ebook.

This offer is only available in the US and Canada. We apologize for the geographic restriction, unfortunately it is required for various legal reasons."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

Today I finished the contemporary romance Private Politics (The Easy Part Book 2) by Emma Barry which I enjoyed.  It's the second book in a series, but it stands alone well.  Now I'd like to read the other two books. 

"New York socialite Alyse Philips is not the airhead people take her for—she's great at convincing D.C.'s rich and powerful to open their wallets. Never one to coast on her family's connections, her real dream is to help charities in a bigger way. Before she can pursue her ambitions, she discovers a money-laundering scandal that's got her signature all over it. If Alyse can't clear her name, she'll never work in nonprofits again.

Political blogger Liam Nussbaum has been pining after Alyse for six months, certain she'd never go for a quiet guy like him. Helping her with the investigation is a no-brainer. But going up against a seedy network of money and influence isn't just a romantic opportunity or a chance to grab the headline that will take him into the big time—it's a gamble that could destroy his blog's reputation.

As Liam and Alyse dig deeper, their hearts collide alongside their ambition. Will they choose love or politics? Because in Washington, everything comes at a price."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

We're narrowing down to diagnoses!  We already got the POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) diagnosis.  We are pretty sure she has Ehler-Danlos.  We learned over the weekend it actually runs in our family (on my dad's side - also where we get the Celiac from lol).  We finally got the upright MRI report and she does not have Chiari.  She does, however, have mild straightening of the neck, 2mm subluxation at C4, several herniations C4-7, and narrowing and compression of the cerebrospinal fluid space.  These are very much not surprising if she has Ehlers-Danlos.  She's been complaining for years that her neck feels to weak to hold up her head, but strength tests are always normal so doctors have literally laughed at her.  Now we can see why she was having issues.

She's in severe pain.  The insurance company made us get a medication before the one the doctor prescribed.  It did not help and has just made her break out in acne for the first time in her life.  She's back on Aleve since it works better so today was a much better day than the last several.  The pain, when it is really bad, causes muscle twitching.  Usually when she is at work she can hide how bad she feels.  Last night her co-worker (who is also my friend) noticed how bad Ani was and made her have us come pick her up so she wouldn't have to drive home.  My friend is a mom and moms notice stuff like that.  She has a lot of pressure in her head and the ringing in her ears is often more of a roar now.  Her extremities and mouth go tingly and numb a lot so that's annoying.  She's constantly having her joints go out when she walks.  That's not new.  We just always said she's double jointed (my shoulders are), but it's probably also Ehlers-Danlos.

She sees the rheumatologist Wednesday next week.  He can confirm or reject Ehlers-Danlos and hopefully can get her a neck brace.  She really needs a neck brace.  She uses an airplane neck pillow as a makeshift neck brace sometimes and it helps a lot.  She sees the neurosurgeon two weeks from today.  She may need surgery.  She may need physical therapy (but it would have to be with someone who is educated in Ehlers-Danlos because PT can make things worse and even cause spinal cord injuries if they are not very careful).

But the most important part of all this... we're getting this all figured out!  I will be forever grateful to the on-line friend who read my blog post about how sick she was and got me in touch with her RL friend who has a daughter with various things (including POTS and Ehlers-Danlos) who put us on the path of looking for something structural.  It's such a relief to have final diagnoses within sight.

• Like 18

I grew up in southeast Texas so I am familiar with kolaches. I think the most common one I had was ham and cheese. We recently visited an awesome kolache place in Austin that had a ton of sweet and savory options.

http://www.lonestarkolaches.com/

I'm also enjoying all the Goodreads connections. I hardly ever used the like button on there before, but it is fun to interact with everyone.

My reading updates for this week:

The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill by Julie Klassen This was a cozy read focused on several characters in a village. It was nice, but not really exceptional in any way.

Scandalous Virtue by Brenda Hiatt

This was a Kindle freebie. I've read another by her and liked it. I really enjoyed the story although I did end up skipping several sections that were pretty steamy.

White Sand by Brandon Sanderson

This is an unpublished manuscript that you can request from his website or by contacting one of his minions. It has been turned into a graphic novel but I wanted to read the prose version. I'm on Chapter 13 and enjoying it so far. I'm a huge Sanderfan.

Great news for your daughter, Butter!

• Like 12

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  to Ani, and you. Congrats on getting a diagnosis. I am learning the hard way how very difficult that can be, and how reassuring it is to have one, even if it's not uniformly good news.

We're narrowing down to diagnoses!  We already got the POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) diagnosis.  We are pretty sure she has Ehler-Danlos.  We learned over the weekend it actually runs in our family (on my dad's side - also where we get the Celiac from lol).  We finally got the upright MRI report and she does not have Chiari.  She does, however, have mild straightening of the neck, 2mm subluxation at C4, several herniations C4-7, and narrowing and compression of the cerebrospinal fluid space.  These are very much not surprising if she has Ehlers-Danlos.  She's been complaining for years that her neck feels to weak to hold up her head, but strength tests are always normal so doctors have literally laughed at her.  Now we can see why she was having issues.

She's in severe pain.  The insurance company made us get a medication before the one the doctor prescribed.  It did not help and has just made her break out in acne for the first time in her life.  She's back on Aleve since it works better so today was a much better day than the last several.  The pain, when it is really bad, causes muscle twitching.  Usually when she is at work she can hide how bad she feels.  Last night her co-worker (who is also my friend) noticed how bad Ani was and made her have us come pick her up so she wouldn't have to drive home.  My friend is a mom and moms notice stuff like that.  She has a lot of pressure in her head and the ringing in her ears is often more of a roar now.  Her extremities and mouth go tingly and numb a lot so that's annoying.  She's constantly having her joints go out when she walks.  That's not new.  We just always said she's double jointed (my shoulders are), but it's probably also Ehlers-Danlos.

She sees the rheumatologist Wednesday next week.  He can confirm or reject Ehlers-Danlos and hopefully can get her a neck brace.  She really needs a neck brace.  She uses an airplane neck pillow as a makeshift neck brace sometimes and it helps a lot.  She sees the neurosurgeon two weeks from today.  She may need surgery.  She may need physical therapy (but it would have to be with someone who is educated in Ehlers-Danlos because PT can make things worse and even cause spinal cord injuries if they are not very careful).

But the most important part of all this... we're getting this all figured out!  I will be forever grateful to the on-line friend who read my blog post about how sick she was and got me in touch with her RL friend who has a daughter with various things (including POTS and Ehlers-Danlos) who put us on the path of looking for something structural.  It's such a relief to have final diagnoses within sight.

• Like 10

Does anyone want my copy? Let me know and I'll send it on it's way to you.

30045683.jpg

I'd be interested! I have a friend living in Denmark right now and am enjoying reading her blog about her experiences as an expat. I can send it on when I'm done reading.

• Like 10

We're narrowing down to diagnoses!  ...

She's in severe pain.  ...

I'm glad that you are getting some answers, Heather, and I hope that your daughter will soon be free from pain.

Since it's Mystery March, a couple of currently free Kindle mysteries by Estelle Ryan that sound intriguing.  They are one and two in a lengthy series.

The Gauguin Connection (Book 1, Genevieve Lenard)

and

The Dante Connection (Book 2, Genevieve Lenard)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

Good morning all!  Susan's son, Chris Bauer, has a book out entitled Dragons, Death and Day Drinking.

On her way home from her mother's funeral, Jean Turnbull has a strange encounter with a man on a plane which leaves a mysterious scar on her hand. She finds herself drawn into the world of the mysterious Order of Saint George, and must quickly become familiar with a dangerous new world where magic is less hidden than most people expect.

https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Death-Drinking-Chris-Bauer/dp/0998720909/

51vLPqcfCHL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 14

I've tried to reply to the thread a couple of times now and my phone keeps going flat. 😬 I finished absorbent mind by Maria Montessori and "the readers of broken wheel recommend". I did have some comments but I don't feel like typing them again. The Beast and the blonde came in quickly and had to go back to the library before the read along so I might have to get it again. I also have downloaded "aquamarines" by Nora Chesson - apparently an Irish poet? From the era of William Blake so that will be my birthstone challenge book for the month. I'm not getting through as many books as I want to read this year. Time is too short.

• Like 13

Cookbook lovers! Have you read Mark Bittman's How to Bake Everything? I borrowed if from the library but am going to have to purchase it because it is simply splendid. All the recipes I've tried have been wonderful and he does interesting things like "here's ten things you can add to these cookie to make the interesting" or "here's some substitutions you can make".  Highly recommend.

:laugh: You crack me up, Amy. 

Yes! I have his cookbook. My favorite recipe (so far) is his minestrone soup. I've been avoiding the dessert section.

eta - oh dear, I just realized that have How to Cook Everything not the Bake Everything one. I'll look for the Bake Everything one at the library. :)

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 11

Jane, I LOVE the Martian posters!

I find I'm starting a lot of books and not finishing any of them. I'm still reading Truman, almost done with a Napoleonic era romance, and am a couple chapters in on a 'no sugar' book that was mentioned here a week  or two ago.

I also started and decided to stop a memoir that I've wanted to read for a long time - The Liar's Club by Mary Karr. It sounded as though it would be right up my alley as I really liked The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses, both by Jeannette Walls, and more recently North of Normal by Cea Sunrise Person. There is something different is the narrator's 'voice' in this one and I found myself cringing and wondering why can't the author be more straightforward in telling her story? Neither of my libraries have it so when I saw it was on sale for the kindle I snatched it up. I've read the first two chapters and just. can't. read. any. more. ugh

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 10